Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Slide Cart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Magic Slide Cart

Anybody knows this? I've seen it in an online auction and the seller praises it that you can play US-import games on the PS2 without needing a MOD chip. Is this true? Hope this is not a dump question but I've never heard of it and I would appreciate it to play US games.
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Magic Slide Cart

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsu
    Anybody knows this? I've seen it in an online auction and the seller praises it that you can play US-import games on the PS2 without needing a MOD chip. Is this true? Hope this is not a dump question but I've never heard of it and I would appreciate it to play US games.
    Id be very interested in this, have you got a link to the auction?

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the link. It's a Swiss auction site and the description is in German. But at least you can see some pictures:

http://www.ricardo.ch/cgi-bin/auk?ln...rtOrder=<br />
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theoretically shouldn't there be some way to do this (play imports without modding) using something that allows running of arbitrary code. I have virtually no interest in the PS2 personally, but I sometimes think it is only a matter of time before non-modding import enablers become a lot more common, using some of the already well documented exploits. They will be sued out of existence if they allow boots to play though, and even if they don't, Sony will just bleed them dry with endless lawsuits (like with Bleem).

Also got to wonder about console version compatability with this sort of thing.

Personally I hope this doesn't happen, I am sick of seeing import gamers get burned because of #$%@ who use mod chips for illegal purposes.

To be honest, I think it may be cheaper in the long run just to buy a Japanese PS2 than to damage/destroy it wth funky HK/etc. junk, which may not even work well enough in the first place.

It's one thing to use a cheap cartridge adapter board from god knows where, but PS2 import enabling is something else entirely.

I've seen some (really crappy) import shops disappear for doing XBOX crap, and quite frankly I was glad to see them go. I feel sorry for anyone who just wanted to play around with Linux, but I can't seriously believe there are many of those relative to the people who are just thieves.

Personally I don't know what people would really import on PS2 in the first place (other than a few wacky RPGs that most people would be unable to play), but thats just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I found them all over the web for between $25-$30 bucks. I don't know how well they work, and anything that manually opens the ps2's drive is theoretically hard on it. For $30 or whatever, I say pick it up and give us a report on it!

http://www.gocybershop.ca/customer/p...tid=1291&cat=0

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't realize it was priced like that.

Yeah, for whatever reason I'm curious. I'm sure anyone thinkin' about playin import PS2 games knows what can happen to the PS2 in question with some of this stuff. That is a really cheap solution if it works. I'm sure lots of people would love to hear how the thing is either way. Someone should test one for the greater good, it could save people a lot of research time/money.

If nothing else, the PS2/(other current console) import scene is amusing to read about.

And I can't really talk about cost concerns too much cuz I used to have one of those see through blue JP ones (really $$$$ needless to say).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, that's the good old Swap Magic boot disc set. I've been using them for almost 2 years now, and they can handle pretty much everything you throw at them, with the exception of a few dual layer discs, or multi-disc games (neither of which I've encountered yet). The slide card tool is for opening the tray and swapping discs without the PS2 knowing it. It's really not that hard on the PS2 if you know how to use it correctly. This is the approach I use, and I haven't noticed any real adverse effects yet.

A more elegant alternative to the slide card would be the fliptop lid. It's a replacement upper shell for the PS2 with a hinged lid, similar to the PS1. That way, when Swap Magic tells you to "Insert Disc", you just flip open the top of the PS2, put in your import, and hit any button.

All in all, I'd say this is the best way of running imports on a domestic PS2. But keep in mind, Swap Magic won't handle any NTSC/PAL conversion issues.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one of these sets that came with a PS2 package I bought two years ago. I certainly don't need it anymore and would gladly trade it or sell it cheaply to someone who'd like to give it a try. I had mixed results with using it, but I also didn't want to harm my PS2 (paranoid), so I didn't try terribly hard. Don't mean to turn this into an advertisement, but if anyone is interested, feel free to PM.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The swap magic discs and the slide card work like a charm both for imports and back-ups.

The set usually comes with a CD-boot disk (does not work with PS1 imports), a DVD-boot disk and the slide card.

In order to make it work you need to remove the front flap from the ps2 disk tray to have access to stick the slide card underneath the tray.

Simply, you pop in your boot disk, once it has loaded you slide the card under the tray and the tray pops open w/out the ps2 knowing it, you make your disk swap and push the tray closed and play play play.

Works very well. There are some games that do not work with it, but they are few.

The only downside is that I had to deface my ps2 in order to get this item to work. If you remove the front flap gently enough, you can put it back on if you want, but it's REALLY easy to snap the plastic, I DID, so I can't put the front back on. I'm VERY concerned with the aesthetics of my consoles (I got a gamecube paintjob) but I got over this so I can import whatever the hell I want.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D

The only downside is that I had to deface my ps2 in order to get this item to work. If you remove the front flap gently enough, you can put it back on if you want, but it's REALLY easy to snap the plastic, I DID, so I can't put the front back on. I'm VERY concerned with the aesthetics of my consoles (I got a gamecube paintjob) but I got over this so I can import whatever the hell I want.
    If you want to put the face back on when you decide to no longer use the slide card or if you want to re-sell the PS2 , here's what you do.

Put the PS2 on it's back with the tray open. Put the face back on in it's original position. Using a solder iron melt the plastic where the tab broke. (Melt the broken tab and the tray plastic together.)Works like a charm and it will stay on forever.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would strongly recommend you to get a a modchip instead of this. There are non-soldering modchips too, and also for the usb port.
    My advice is to get a chip that doesnt require any swapping. If you dont have the knowledge to solder it yourself there are always someone you can hire to do the work for you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    I would strongly recommend you to get a a modchip instead of this. There are non-soldering modchips too, and also for the usb port.
    My advice is to get a chip that doesnt require any swapping. If you dont have the knowledge to solder it yourself there are always someone you can hire to do the work for you
    Umm why ?

This doesn't require taking apart your PS2 and it doesn't harm it in any way.

I don't see the problem. And before you ask, I have both. A mod-chip for my kids PS2 and a slide-card for mine that I've used for 2 years.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    Umm why ?
    Its much easier. You just put in the game and push reset one time (depending on the modchip tho)
    Your wearing out the tray if you play alot with the swap trick. Swap trick is also ancient hehe

This doesn't require taking apart your PS2 and it doesn't harm it in any way.
    As i mentioned, if you dont know how to do it there are always someone who can do it for you. And inserting a modchip doesnt harm the PS2. Ive had my modchip for years now and no problems with my PS2.

I don't see the problem. And before you ask, I have both. A mod-chip for my kids PS2 and a slide-card for mine that I've used for 2 years.
    I didnt mention that it was a problem did i? I'm just saying its much more easy and better to get a non-swap modchip. Just insert the game and go.
    Of coure it might cost you alittle more, but its worth every cent in my opinion. I would never use the swaptrick to play my imports.
    This is MY opinion. So no one need to come with some fancy comment or something, thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm why ?
    Its much easier. You just put in the game and push reset one time (depending on the modchip tho)
    Your wearing out the tray if you play alot with the swap trick. Swap trick is also ancient hehe

Of coure it might cost you alittle more, but its worth every cent in my opinion. I would never use the swaptrick to play my imports.
    This is MY opinion. So no one need to come with some fancy comment or something, thank you
    No smart reply here.

But it's just a rumor that it wears out the tray. After this many years of people using the slide card , there has been no proof of it affecting the tray. The card is just sliding the tray open manually. It doesn't force anything or wear it out.

Also you say the chip is easier. But I'm talking about installing the chip. It's not as easy as walking in Wal-Mart and getting it installed. It's expensive and time consuming to buy a chip, find an installer, send it off, wait for it and hope it works or you don't get screwed.

For the average person the slide card is a LOT less complicated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's new to me, have a name for those devices?
    *insert signature >here<*

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm why ?

No smart reply here.

But it's just a rumor that it wears out the tray. After this many years of people using the slide card , there has been no proof of it affecting the tray. The card is just sliding the tray open manually. It doesn't force anything or wear it out.

Also you say the chip is easier. But I'm talking about installing the chip. It's not as easy as walking in Wal-Mart and getting it installed. It's expensive and time consuming to buy a chip, find an installer, send it off, wait for it and hope it works or you don't get screwed.

For the average person the slide card is a LOT less complicated.
    I fully agree with you. Installing a modchip yourself without any soldering knowledge is almost impossible. I had no problem finding someone who could install my modchip. I sent it in and got it back about a week later. Also more expencive yes, but much better imo.
    Well.. about the wearing out the tray, its logical. You have to open and close the tray twice instead of one time. So it do wear it out more than a modchip since you have to open it 2 times instead of one. On the other hand, how solid the tray is is another question The ps2 might handle 1 million open/closing so you wont notice that its wearing out. Its a engine you know, that opens and closes the tray. Everytime its used it gets worn out. Its like that with all things so to say. But the tray might be rock solid and maybe it takes years to wear it out

But wouldnt you pay alittle extra so you didnt have to swap? I would (already did it hehe)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter
    that's new to me, have a name for those devices?
    I dont know if they are in use today, but back in the days when modchips like Neo 2/3/4 was new there was this thing called Neo Key (do a google search for it).
    You still needed to swap with it tho.
    Neo 4 was the first modchip where you didnt have to swap for CD-R backups, but you did have to swap with DVD backup. Messiah 1 was the first modchip who didnt require any swapping at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I fully agree with you. Installing a modchip yourself without any soldering knowledge is almost impossible. I had no problem finding someone who could install my modchip. I sent it in and got it back about a week later. Also more expencive yes, but much better imo.
    Well.. about the wearing out the tray, its logical. You have to open and close the tray twice instead of one time. So it do wear it out more than a modchip since you have to open it 2 times instead of one. On the other hand, how solid the tray is is another question The ps2 might handle 1 million open/closing so you wont notice that its wearing out. Its a engine you know, that opens and closes the tray. Everytime its used it gets worn out. Its like that with all things so to say. But the tray might be rock solid and maybe it takes years to wear it out

But wouldnt you pay alittle extra so you didnt have to swap? I would (already did it hehe)
    Excellent logic. See that's why I love the DP Forums.

I never even thought about having to open the tray twice. Well I guess it shouldn't matter because the PS2 should be capable of it opening and closing millions of times, but you never know do you ?

Good reasoning. And yes a mod-chip is much easier to use. That's why I gave my kids the one with the chip.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, its very logical that you wear out the engine who open/close the tray when you use the swaptrick. Then you have to open it once to set in the swap/boot cd, then open it again to take out the disc and then finaly set in the game.
    This goes for all thigs, the more you use it, the faster it get broken.
    Hope you understand what i mean

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, its very logical that you wear out the engine who open/close the tray when you use the swaptrick. Then you have to open it once to set in the swap/boot cd, then open it again to take out the disc and then finaly set in the game.
    This goes for all thigs, the more you use it, the faster it get broken.
    Hope you understand what i mean :D
    By your logic, you should be going crazy over the replacement fliptop lids, since you never have to operate the tray AT ALL. ;-)