Thread: Reusing N-Gage game "cards" as SD cards?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Default Reusing N-Gage game "cards" as SD cards?

I took out my 5 opened N-Gage games to marvel at their size and realized that they are the exact same size as SD cards. I put each one into my SC card reader and, although I could not write onto the cards, I could copy everything off of them. I don't have my N-Gage to test this yet, but I'm wondering 2 things:
    1. Could the files from a game all be directly put on and SD card to be used as a normal game?
    2. Are there any N-Gage games that are not write-protected?
    Egbert, I miss you...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

from what I've read and heard when the N-gage was first released the games did't have any kind of protection what so ever and were playable on other Cellphones.

if that is still true I wouldn't mind puting a few on my Treo. that is if there are any that are worth playing.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The N-Gage games are copy-protected.

So you can't just copy them to an SD card.

But all the N-Gage games have been cracked. So if you own the game and just want them on your SD card just download and install the cracked version to your SD card.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK I think I can answer this.

First N-Gage games are not SD cards. They are MMC cards. SD cards are actually thicker and have a little switch for write protection (hince Secure Digital). The N-Gage will not accept SD cards because simply they will not fit in the slot. They will accept blank MMC cards though (tip, buy them online if you don't want to pay $35 for 128MB IF you can find them). And one other note, SD cards are actually SD MMC cards.

Second all N-Gage games are protected and cannot be deleted. And even if you wanted to delete them, the card sizes are extremely small. I think THPS is like 12MB and Tomb Raider is 9MB. You can actually go to the Memory Manager on the phone and pull up the details of the card.

Third, yes the N-Gage has been cracked for a while now. You can stick a whole bunch of games on a single MMC card (probably all of them if you have a 512MB card). And you can play the N-Gage games on other Series 60 Symbian OS Nokia's. I don't know which, but I can't imagine it'd be much fun. Because at least the N-Gage has a proper d-pad and action buttons (kind-of).