Thread: Video game content on movies

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video game content on movies

yeah yeah, i know there must be a thread on this somewhere, but i can't delete the search id's either, so i just wanted to start the thread with something i remember very clearly.

The movie was called tokyo pop, it's about an american girl who goes to japan to try to become a pop idol.

Anyways, there's this scene, where there is a tv on the background, and you see a famicom disk system ad, with some images from some games, wich, btw, for me, look very very cool. Also they are always around a lot of places with tv's, and they in one scene, had a sega game running, i believe it was space harrier or hang on.

Anyways, any video game references on movies you have seen? (wich aren't the wizard?)

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're talking about random game sightings in movies, I know quite a few.

-In the kid's movie "Bingo" in the arcade scene, if you look very closely, you can see the title screen of Strider on one of the cabinets. It's a blink and miss scenario.

-In some episodes of the Drew Carey Show, you can see a Sega Saturn sitting on top of the living room TV.

-In the movie Strapped (Black Cinema), this is the only movie I know of where a Neo Geo AES makes an appearance. Fredro Starr and this other guy I forgot what his name is, are playing Super 8 Man.

-On one random episode of the dating game show The Fifth Wheel, the contestants were in the pool hall. X-Men vs. Street Fighter is seen in the background.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

The movie: Charlie's Angels.
    The game: Final Fantasy VIII.

The scenario: Drew Barrymore's character is in need of some clothes and she stumbles into the backyard of a house. Inside are two boys playing FFVIII. That's right - the game in the background is clearly FFVIII, and *each* boy is clearly holding a controller....
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Our very own Al Backiel has kept diligent track of game references in movies. For a partial online archive of his ongoing "Hollywood Looks at Videogames" series, click RIGHT HERE.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, this new thread could also help build more to the list ya never know.

There's an episode of CHiPS where at the end, Erik Estrada (I think) attempts to break someone's score in Defender and wins.

Suburban Commando -sounds from the arcade blare out. Hulk Hogan hides behind a wall thinking the bounty hunters are after him. But it's an arcade. A kid's struggling with playing an airplane game. Hulk Hogan boots him out the way and takes over the game, and kicks its ass until it smokes and a white flag sticks up on top of the cabinet when he wins.

That game was "After Burner".

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Iin the movie "Welcome to the Dollhouse" two of the main characters play Super Buster Bros at a 7/11.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently watched "3 Ninjas" and saw cameo of SMB3, three mint condition games in the box sitting in the shelf. (One looked like Dragon Warrior)

Then saw RBI Baseball Tiger Handheld and TMNT Konami Handheld
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I think it was Dragon Warrior. I do recall another one was Cobra Triangle.
    then in the sequel (3 Ninjas Kick Back), there's a Street Fighter II poster hanging just above Colt and Tum Tum's bunk bed.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just watched color of money last night on AMC and when they were in the bar shooting pool there are two cabinets behind them; first a tron cab and second..... well the second espcapes me at the moment.

btw, thank god for Al keeping track of this. I remember that i was directed there one time way back when and ever since it has been a useful tool for me.

-Josh

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In one scene on Chevy Chase movie "Cops and Robbersons" in the background you can see some NES boxes, though I couldn't make out which games were there...

In the Emilio Estevez movie "Judgement Day" he holds an NES Zapper for a scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Computer Space in Soylent Green.

Missile Command in Terminator 2.

Wild Gunman in Back to the Future 2.

Sonic in Wayne's World.

*edit - I couldn't find the archive before but they were already mentioned. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boyz In Da Hood -Doughboy (Ice Cube) is playing Duck Hunt while Tre (Morris Chestnut) is awaiting the college director to show up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Saw Timesplitters 2 on the PS2 in Shaun of the Dead last night. One of the main characters is hooked on the game, for good reason.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got most of the Atari appearances in films cataloged here:

http://www.ataritimes.com/features/atarifilms.html

and TV shows too: http://www.ataritimes.com/features/atari_on_tv.html
    Gregory D. George
    Editor, The (New!) Atari Times

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was gonna mention 3 Ninja's, but someone beat me to it. In the movie Beethoven there is an NES on top of the kids T.V. I don't remember if they play it or not, but it's there. Obviously they play NES all the time in the Wizard. I rememeber Eddy playing video games in Family Matters. I forget what system it was, but I remember the sound affects were so fake it was unreal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh video games haver shown up in Family Matters quite a few times. They were all ficticious though. Here's some I recall.

-The word "Nintendo" passes Harriet Winslow's lips. Quote: "We give them food, shelter, Nintendo...."

-On one episode, Richie was playing a NES with a game with some budget 8-bit sound. He called it "Space Donkey"

-In one Christmas episode, somewhere around the tree, is a box for a Super NES.

-Another had a ficticious fighting game where Urkel and Mother Winslow are characters. Blatantly rips off Mortal Kombat. During the ending credits of that one episode, you see the game again in action this time with Urkel and Carl fighting each other.

-----------------------------
    More video game sightings in movies:

He Got Game (Denzel Washington) -Jet Moto (PS1)

Mercury Rising (Bruce Willis)-I forgot who he was, but in his computer room, just before he gets killed by agents, one of the posters is Battle Arena Toshinden. But that particular poster is from the anime.

Juice (Tupac Shakur)-Capcom played a role in this movie big time. In the NYC pizza parlor/pool hall where kids that play hooky from school hang out, Omar Epps is playing a Street Fighter 1 arcade cabinet. But that's not all. Several of the extras in the scene are playing "Forgotten Worlds", which is right next to the SF1 machine. Best thing about this: Capcom was recognized and their name showed up at the end of the special thanks bracket in the ending credits.