Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Fox Assault-quick impressions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Star Fox Assault-quick impressions

I'm sure many of you know that Blockbuster is renting this game two weeks before its intended launch date. I happened to swing by and find that the news was true and snapped up a copy. After a little bit of play I figure I'd share my initial impressions.

The presentation was pretty decent. It looks like the movies are using the game engine so that's a plus. Everything is clean and crisp. Nothing that will knock your socks off this far in this generation but it Assault isn't ugly by any stretch. Voice acting sounds decent. Nothing overly hammed up thus far. The dialog between Starfox members kinda reminds me of old anime shows like Battle of the Planets, almost to the point where you could almost transpose G-Force into the Arwings of Starfox. Maybe that's just me.

Anyway the first cinema brings us to a confrontation between Cornierian forces and an ex-Andross fleet. The combat shown is very reminisent of space combat from Robotech (arcing missles, laser barrages, etc.). When the Cornerian fleet, thinking they have the Andross forces on the ropes, get surprised by a special attack Starfox team comes in to save the day. This is where the game starts.

Basically, it's a graphical update of Starfox 64. Play is practically the same: hold a button to slow down, press a button to boost, click a trigger for a barrel roll, hold the fire button down for a "lock on", etc. However to me it seems as though the flying part has slown down some. I didn't get that sense of speed that SF64 gave me. I'll have to pull the cart out and give it a play to see if it's not awkward hindsight. There also seems to be a camera issue that I check to see if it's adjustable. The Arwing seemed to be way too close to the screen so that if I slowed down half the ship went off screen. Plus at that perspective it looked as though I was getting some cheap hits done on me (rocks banging into me, large power blasts I thought missed hit me, etc.). I'll hold off on my "cheap hits" verdict until I check that out.

To me this early in the games feels, well, uninspired. Beyond the graphical update and possibly different locales it's the same game. I must be spoiled on a full flyable world (like Crimson Skies) but the combination of lack of speed and rails feels awfully restrictive. But like many games these days you can't really judge the title by its first level so I'm going to forge ahead and play more this weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, thank you for this post. I am too awaiting StarFox and went to Blockbuster yesterday for the first time in about 3 years, but it was all rented out.
    Can't wait to see how this one plays out. Even if it is, I do hope it's more though, the graphical update to the N64 one, that fine with me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I heard there's only 3 "on rails" levels in the game. Only 5 are dedicated arwing stages, and the rest are ground based (although I think you can still board an arwing manually on those ones).

I've heard that outside of the Landmaster, the game is pretty sweet. Not the same as SF64, but still good.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    I heard there's only 3 "on rails" levels in the game. Only 5 are dedicated arwing stages, and the rest are ground based (although I think you can still board an arwing manually on those ones).

I've heard that outside of the Landmaster, the game is pretty sweet. Not the same as SF64, but still good.
    That's why I'm withholding any final judgement. I've got the game until Wednesday so I'm sure I can fit in some time with it. I will say it does have its difficult spots on the "silver" mode (there are three difficulties: bronze, silver and gold). A few of my deaths, however, seemed cheap due to that slow speed of the Arwing. This was most noticable with the first boss: the attack is dodgable but you have to move just before the attack is made and not during. You can't turn or barrel-roll out of the way fast enough and believe me I tried.

I'll post more once I have a couple more levels under my belt and after I played some SF64.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't heard anything too great about this one...IGN gave it a 7.0. But, I don't really care...I loved SF64, and this one looks great too! I'm probably gonna buy it the day it comes out, along with Wario Ware touched.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Crush Crawfish
    I haven't heard anything too great about this one...IGN gave it a 7.0. But, I don't really care...I loved SF64, and this one looks great too! I'm probably gonna buy it the day it comes out, along with Wario Ware touched.
    I've been keepin an eye on the gamefaqs boards and review page, and it just seems like one of those games you either enjoy alot or just plain don't like. From what I hear though, the on foot stages are like Jet Force Gemini (read: Good), and the all range stages and rail stages are pretty much standard star fox. Only complaint I've heard over and over is that the landmaster is too slow and weak to be of much use in the levels it's in, and the fact that it's not any of the rail stages hurts it.

I'm looking forward to playing it, and unlocking some of the cool stuff in it. Star Luster, Battle City, and Xevious are all in there I hear, along with a ton of multiplayer unlockables. I personally can't wait to take the Star Wolf team's fighter out for a spin
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think Nintendo dropped the ball on this franchise. The first game was ahead of its time. Starfox 64 was just OK. IMO the cool factor really dropped off with the 2nd game...it's just really cartoony and silly, and way too easy compared to the 1st game. I've never played Star Fox Adventures...my impression is that it's Star Fox on foot, like Zelda or something. Give me a break. I think Nintendo, somehow, got the impression that the popularity of the first game was due to the characters, not the gameplay, graphics, and especially the sounds and music. Wrong idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wait this game actualy sticks to the oldschool roots and has you actualy flying instead of the dumb on foot action in adventures?

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    wait this game actualy sticks to the oldschool roots and has you actualy flying instead of the dumb on foot action in adventures?
    It's a shooter, with a mix of flying stages, and ground based stages, where you run on foot, drive a tank, or, well, fly an arwing. Some are classic star fox on-rail stages, others are all range like in SF64.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Holy crap, blockbuster is renting it out early? I work there and I didn't even know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also this is one of the new guys in the game i found this pic a few weeks back.. Not sure what he does in the game but at the top you can see he ( Wolf O'Donnell ) is leader of the STARWOLF team, and fox mcloud is the leader of the STARFOX team? Friend or Foe? I don't know or maybe just another team you can choose from?

..XS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well its good to hear they are starting to include some of the flying from the previous games. Now all we need is an all out remake of starfox 64.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Holy crap, blockbuster is renting it out early? I work there and I didn't even know.
    Dork!

Star Fox Adventures was bad. Although, it has it's reasons. It started out as Dino Planet. Nintendo decided to change it to a Star Fox game instead. Star Fox is about shooting things and sweet ass gameplay. Not running around collecting stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    Dork!

Star Fox Adventures was bad. Although, it has it's reasons. It started out as Dino Planet. Nintendo decided to change it to a Star Fox game instead. Star Fox is about shooting things and sweet ass gameplay. Not running around collecting stuff.
    Hey StarFox Adventures wasn't bad!!, just out of interest spoon have you played the game right thru? :/

..XS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Star Wolf was in Star Fox 64, and the SNES proto of Star Fox 2...basically he's the leader of another team of mercs that get hired by the bad guys to eliminate Star Fox. A nemesis, pretty much. The fight with his squad on Venom 2 in star fox 64 was one of my favorite moments in that game.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Haha, thanks for the heads up, I got myself a registration code at work tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Star Wolf was in Star Fox 64, and the SNES proto of Star Fox 2...basically he's the leader of another team of mercs that get hired by the bad guys to eliminate Star Fox. A nemesis, pretty much. The fight with his squad on Venom 2 in star fox 64 was one of my favorite moments in that game.
    Ahhhh i see, i'v only messed around with SF2 and i'v never played Starfox 64.. Thats why i didn't know wolf, well ya learn somthing new everyday!

..XS

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As Much as I hated StarFox Adventures, it was one hell of a beautiful game. Assault doesn't even come close to the visual detail Rare gave us with Adventures. I think StarFox Just needs to die off for a while, maybe StarFox 64 DS but after that, the last Nintendo franchise to appear on "Revolution". Nintendo needs to stop screwing up winning formulas and leave truly original ideas to original IPs (well... except Jungle Beat ). Now... how about some Pilotwings!!

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GobopopRevisited
    As Much as I hated StarFox Adventures, it was one hell of a beautiful game. Assault doesn't even come close to the visual detail Rare gave us with Adventures. I think StarFox Just needs to die off for a while, maybe StarFox 64 DS but after that, the last Nintendo franchise to appear on "Revolution". Nintendo needs to stop screwing up winning formulas and leave truly original ideas to original IPs (well... except Jungle Beat ). Now... how about some Pilotwings!!
    But once you get into Adventures, it's a sweet game, i think alot of people never game it the chance! shame really.. and the graphics are beautiful! Great game me thinks!

..XS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Predatorxs
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    Dork!

Hey StarFox Adventures wasn't bad!!, just out of interest spoon have you played the game right thru? :/

..XS
    Sure have. Should have stayed Dino Planet IMHO. Would have been a better game. It is just not a good Star Fox game.