In the Retrogaming Roundtable continuing series of classic system homage... let us discuss the system that brought video gaming back from the grave.
I'd like EVERYONE who has ever played this system to give some input here, please.
The 16-bit era was a memorable one, with just three players and two very fierce rivals in Nintendo (Super NES) and Sega (Genesis). There was also the TurboGrafx-16 but unfortunately that system didn't catch on in the US - look for the official TurboGrafx-16 thread in these very forums!
Sega carved their niche in home console gaming with the Genesis, going all out to show their superiority to Nintendo. Whether their product did or not, their advertising certainly seemed to catch the straight-laced Nintendo off-guard. "Genesis does what NintenDON'T", and frighteningly inspirational shouts of "SEGA"... if you were there, you know what I mean.
The system has held up pretty well to this day, with a broad palette of games. Surely you've experienced it. As such, tell me:
- What is your favorite game on this system?
- What are some of your other favorites?
- What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
- Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
- How many games do you have for it?
- Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
Go time! Have fun with this, but by all means, share your thoughts!
NOTE: to jog your memory, here's our complete list of US games: