Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Official Sega Genesis Thread

In the Retrogaming Roundtable continuing series of classic system homage... let us discuss the system that brought video gaming back from the grave.

I'd like EVERYONE who has ever played this system to give some input here, please.

The 16-bit era was a memorable one, with just three players and two very fierce rivals in Nintendo (Super NES) and Sega (Genesis). There was also the TurboGrafx-16 but unfortunately that system didn't catch on in the US - look for the official TurboGrafx-16 thread in these very forums!

Sega carved their niche in home console gaming with the Genesis, going all out to show their superiority to Nintendo. Whether their product did or not, their advertising certainly seemed to catch the straight-laced Nintendo off-guard. "Genesis does what NintenDON'T", and frighteningly inspirational shouts of "SEGA"... if you were there, you know what I mean.

The system has held up pretty well to this day, with a broad palette of games. Surely you've experienced it. As such, tell me:

- What is your favorite game on this system?
    - What are some of your other favorites?
    - What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    - Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    - Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    - How many games do you have for it?
    - Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?

Go time! Have fun with this, but by all means, share your thoughts!

NOTE: to jog your memory, here's our complete list of US games:
    http://www.digitpress.com/lists/genesis.pdf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Very hard question to answer. It ranges everywhere from Sonic Spinball to Comix Zone but I think my absolute favorite game on the 16-bit wonder is Shinobi 3. No other game at the time amazed me like that one did. Level after level I heard myself gasping at it's technical beauty. Remember that level where he's riding the horse? A true favorite.

Sonic Spinball for it's innovation and fun... Gunstar heroes ranks right behind Shinobi 3 for sure. That game was just too fun! I remember playing it with my cousin Christmas of '93. He had bought it with money he had gotten from Christmas and we stayed up all night until we beat it. quite and accomplishment.

Seeing the intro to Altered Beast used to scare me as a child (I was five)... and the game that will go down in history for pissing me off is Contra: Hard Corps, a game to hard for it's own good.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    I first saw the system when me and my dad were crawling around Toys R Us looking for a replacement for my Nintendo which had been stolen the same day. I originally just wanted to have my Nintendo back, but the second I saw the Ghostbusters game running in a demo cabinet for the Genesis, I knew I had to have it. We picked up Batman and the system itself that day. Batman really confused me though because the back of the box showed pictures of the NES game which I had previously owned. It was of course a publishing mistake, but thats not the kind of thing you want to see when youre buying your first game for a new system.

Yes, back in the day... 1991. That holiday season I got Toejan & Earl and Decapattack... two of my favorites to this day.

Roughly 75-80. I haven't kept track in a while.

Well lets see... I remember getting the Sega CD attachment Christmas of '92 and being blown away by it's music quality and animated cinema's. I remember winning Batman for the first time was a great accomplishment... I even taped it. What else? I used to be known as the kid who would for no logical reason shout "SEGA!", mimicking the classic commercials Sega ran back then. I guess that's it.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

That's easy - Gunstar Heroes. Not only is it my favorite Genesis game, but it has to be one of the best games I've ever played - period.

Space Harrier II, Mystic Defender, MUSHA, ThunderForce III & IV, Revenge Of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi III, Truxton, Splatterhouse 2 & 3, Phelios, Burning Force, Valis III, etc...

The Mega Drive game Megapanel surprised me. Here I thought it was going to be just another Tetris ripoff, yet it turned out to be one of the most engrossing puzzle games I've ever played.

Sonic Spinball infuriated me (sorry Shinobiman). For the life of me, I can't think of a single redeeming quality that that game has. My brother had it, I played it for bit, than turned the system off in disgust.

Yep - it was Christmas of '89, and a friend had just gotten a Genesis along with Last Battle and Space Harrier II. He popped in Space Harrier II, and my jaw almost hit the floor. I'd never seen a home system pull off a game like that before.

Absolutely. I got my Genesis in mid-'90, and I still have it. It still runs great too.

64 U.S. games, 12 Japanese games.

I recall the first time my friend Chris finished Mystic Defender. The topless chick, Alexandra, at the end was surprising enough, but when it was revealed she was wearing nothing at all was almost a shock (keep in mind that this was sometime in 1990). Don't believe me? Check this article I wrote (complete with pictures) out: http://www.geocities.com/opcfg/mysticdefender.html

It's nudity, it's just not exciting nudity. Still, for a couple of teenage high school kids, it was certainly surprising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't have the system "Back in the day", so I missed out on some great games first time around. But I got one in 1996 and started hunting around for games. My favorites are the usual fare, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage, Sonic 2, etc. I got "best of" lists from the DP site and other sites and basically bought those games up. Some of my absolute favorites:

Gunstar Heroes: Nuff said.
    Mega Bomberman: No load times, simple gameplay, and tons of bombs and explosions onscreen simultaneously, unlike the slowdown and flicker of the SNES Bomberman games, and inventive levels.
    Dynamite Headdy: incredibly friggin wierd, and really cool.
    Target Earth (AKA Assault Suit Leynoss): An action game with a bit of strategy. You have to know when to use your weapons and conserve your resources, as well as knowing when to back off from an enemy. It's like a 2D version of Gundam Side Story 0079 for DC.

Game that infuriated me: Contra Hard Corps. that was unnecessarily difficult, as I found out when I played a rom of the Japanese one where you could take 3 hits before dying.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never played with a Genesis "back in it's day"...and now I verify checksums and mess around with websites more than I play, so I guess I'm not qualified to have an opinion.

Snorter
    Visit http://www.GenesisCollective.com for the most extensive Genesis database on the net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I would have to say Afterburner 2, hands down. I logged so much time into that game, knew every pad combo to get the extra missiles during refuel stages. I loved the arcade version and this just blew me away on how close it was to its arcade cousin.

Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star II-IV, Forgotten Worlds, Moonwalker, Joe Montana Football, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Star Control 2, Starflight, Strider

When I saw Strider play for the first time, THAT was a surprise. I was floored by this game. Another surprise came from most of the arcade ports (except Crackdown, ugh!): they looked and played so similar to the arcade!
    What game infuriated me: Phantasy Star II. I have yet to beat that game.

In my area, there wasn't a place that had the system on display. I found out and read up on the system from magazines, so when I bought it I was kinda going in partially blind and totally deaf. The first game I saw was Golden Axe (I didn't open Altered Beast yet) and plopped some stereo headphones on. The music came blaring into my skull as the konji began swirling on the screen. I was amazed that this was coming off of a home system.

Yep, I bought the system a little after it was released. Then I sold it in 1993/94 along with my Generation 1 Sega CD. I bought the CDX around 1995 as I was hankering for Sewer Shark, then sold the CDX when it kept overheating on me and bought a Genesis 1 and a Sega CD 2 with the money. Within the last year (?) I sold my deck again as the "magic" had disappeared and it didn't hold any meaning to me anymore.

- How many games DID you have for it?
    Overall I had about 25 to 30 carts over my extended ownership. Had a few or the rare/more sought after carts like Herzog Zwei, Phantasy Star IV, and Pirates! Gold (complete).

The only things I can think of are two instances: I was the only one in my town (okay, its population was like 1,050) that had a Genny. Not that my personal status was boosted, but it was still SOMEWHAT noteworthy.

The other is more Genesis + Sega CD: after work one night, I got home and began to play Lunar. I was close to the end so I decided to try and beat it. I played from 9:30 PM until 7:30 AM the next day. I went downstairs and plopped on the couch and slept. That was the only time I played that long on a game.[/b]

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

This is SO SO hard, especially for this system, where I've gone through a number of obsessive phases. Overall I'd have to say it's Streets of Rage (the first one). I got into that game enough where I wrote a strategy guide, which was printed in a very early issue of Digital Press (maybe issue #3?), with a complete breakdown of the scoring system which was before that time never completely explained. Ah, I love that game.

The other Streets of Rage games, Toe Jam & Earl, the Madded games up to and including '93, NHL '94, Truxton, Herzog Zwei, Star Control, Gunstar Heroes, Revenge of Shinobi, Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion, Robocop vs. Terminator, Sonic 2... all favorites that leap to mind.

I was recently very surprised by a MOVIE LICENSED GAME... "Demolition Man". It's really quite good, and reminds me a lot of the outstanding Robocop vs. Terminator game. Good side-scrolling shooting killing game that I'll bet Contra fans would really enjoy. I've owned the game for years but only recently played it. Then I couldn't tear myself away from it.

NBA Jam infuriated me on many occasions. Until I realized that the arcade version does that too - CHEATS when you take the lead!

I remember it well. I had read all about the system in magazines before its release, and saw it IN ACTION for the very first time on my own TV set (I bought the system on launch day). I was very "wowed" with Altered Beast and even more so shortly later when Revenge of Shinobi came out.

See above.

I'm just a few titles short of a complete boxed collection! I've been collecting Genny from day one, on and off.

Well, if you consider the Sega CD a "peripheral", how about this: I waited outside of the Electronics Boutique on Sega CD's launch day. It was the day before my wedding. I probably should have spent that time doing better things, but nahhhh.

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have so many favorites, but the one I keep going back to is Dune: Battle for Arrakis. It was the first RTS game I played, and I never get tired of it as the battles always develop differently.

In addition to the usual suspects that are mentioned above: Aerobiz, D&D:Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Dragon’s Fury, F-15 Strike Eagle 2, Flashback, Gauntlet IV, The Haunting, MUSHA, The Shining Forces, Super Smash TV (with 2 7800 controllers!), Viewpoint, Zero Tolerance.

Zero Tolerance surpised the hell out of me. It was a fast, very big and very good FPS that blew me away.

A friend had it with Altered Beast, and I remember thinking "My God, it’s just like the arcade!"

Yes and Yes (about 16 times over)

443, not too many sports titles, most complete and only 2 without boxes (anyone have a Bimini Run or Space Invaders ’91 case insert?)

Well, my Genny and Nes were the first systems I had hooked up in "My House" and until they were banished to the guestroom (and eventually the basement when baby #1 arrived…which is the "genesis" story of my current game room, but that’s for another time) they were tucked into a shelf on the bookcase next to the TV. So I guess you could say at one time my system was surrounded by stories….but I guess that’s not what you were looking for. I’ll stop now.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Fav Game: Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The locked on undisputed KING of all platformers, 2nd only to SMB3, and even that is debatable.

Other favs include Gunstar Heroes, Starflight, Castlevania, Street Fighter 2 SCE, Jurassic Park, and Sonic 2. Ristar and Flicky rule too. 32X had some sweet games too, like Star Trek and Space Harrier.

I was surprised by Gunstar Heroes. I first saw this game for 10 bucks, told my aunt it looked interesting, she got it, and I became obsessed with it. On the other hand, Sonic Spinball looked cool and pissed me off time and time again. I suck at pinball...

First time I saw the system in action had to be at my cousins place, and I think the game was Ecco the Dolphin. Looked cool, but nothing that made me say, I needs me one of these.

I didn't own it back then, but my friend and aunt both did, and I stayed at my aunts every other weekend, so suffice to say, i got close to that genesis. I have one now, but it's not hooked up due to lack of room, sadly. I do have 21 games for it, though. Waiting for the day my aunt will sell me hers finally ;p

I remember my friend playing this baseball game with crazy stuff happening in the crowd, like a guy flashing, Spock and Kirk transporting in and out...that game was sweet, if only for that reason!
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fave game:
    Street Fighter II Turbo with those beautiful, six buttoned joypad controllers. It made me love Street Fighter, and taught me to not just be a maverick player that I was.

Other Games:
    Streets of Rage series (kill a baddie and get a "doo waa!"), Toe Jam and Earl (oh my gosh how fun with a friend!), the Splatterhouses, Phantasy Star games, Shining Force (!), Kid Chameleon, Golden Axe, NBA Jam, and the Avengers! (yeah, side scrolling beat em ups!)

Surprises:
    Shining Force looked sooo stupid, but it was sooo fun after I played it! Toe Jam and Earl. Come on, who the heck would take a chance on a game sounding like this? But, it was sooooo worth it. Also, I think this was Genesis, but there was this game where you rode around in this robot and fought different monsters for cash. It was sorta first person shooter, and there was a lot of gore, with monster's heads and limbs blowing off and stuff. Very fun. Gave me nightmares, but fun.

Infuriate:
    Aliens 3 and X-Men. Though X-Men was fun, at certain points it annoyed the crap out of me. Aliens 3 just didn't click.

First:
    First time I saw the Genesis was when a cousin of mine got one for Christmas. Altered Beast was the first game I saw, and I was enthralled! Of course, my cousing was a big arse face and didn't let little me play much... Anyhoo, I was already a Sega fan since I had the SMS in '84. This just clinched it for me. I don't think the SNES came out yet. So, for me, I was exposed t both Sega systems before their respective NES counterparts, and when I saw the NES equivalent of the Sega games, I was like, "what the heck is that? Why is the guy from Ghouls and Ghosts so small? And why is it Tandy?"

Back in the day...
    I didn't have it, but my best friend did, and he got all the peripherals: the Sega CD, the 32X, the online adapter (anyone remember this?), so it was like I had it. Towards the end of our friendship, my buddy got the SNES also. I guess that was the beginning of the end...

Amount of games?
    I have the entire setup now. I have a Genesis with the Sega CD and 32X, from EB for forty bucks. I don't know if that as a deal or not, but this was before I bougth stuff online. I have about ten games right now, but soon to grow, I hope.

Anecdotes?
    That Genesis online thing was great! It was one of my first experiences with the Internet (though I already had Prodigy at home, I wasn't allowed to use it because it was charged on the phone, and was therefore only allowed to us the Internet for school). Plus, you could play Street Fighter flawlessly across the country! I don't know what all the fears are about lag on the next gen systems over he internet are. The Sega Genesis did this perfectly, back in the early/mid 90's!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fave Game: Streets of Rage 2. That was one of the first games I remember playing at my old babysitters house when she had the system. My friend Blake and I beat the game a countless number of times.( about 1 or 2 times a day)

Others-ToeJam and Earl series, Streets of Rage Series, Sonic Series, Madden Games, RBI Baseball games, Road Rash Games, NBA Jam

Surprised Me-Streets of Rage 2. I had beaten the game a countless number of times, and I discovered more things as I went along.

Infuriated- My friend Blake could always pass in madden 95, and I could never PASS! it was very confusing for me. Also, I didnt like the annoying power button on the Sega model 1 that my babysitter had. It took a while to get used to.

First in action-I dont remember the FIRST time i saw it in action, but i played it about every day with my friend. The game was probobly streets of Rage 2.

Own it back in the day-My old babysitter owned it back in the day when it came out. She had the games, Streets of Rage 2, Madden 95, Road Rash 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, NBA Jam,(cant remember.) She recently gave me the system and games.

Own it now?- Yes, its the system I most collect for. I have about 125-150 games for it, and 3 of the system.(2 model 2, and 1 model 1). I play that system a lot.

Stories?-Yes. I have beaten Streets of Rage 2 a countless number of times.
    -At my old babysitters, my friend Blake helped me beat NBA Jam, and I got 3rd place on the list, until my bbstr's son got mad and deleted the data.
    -I had always played Sonic 2 with my friend Nick on that system.
    -I had played it about 8 hours a day with my friend Nick until my babysitter kicked us off.
    -I bought some games for it until I realized I wanted to collect games, and started collecting games for the genesis.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably would have to be Castle of Illusion. I was big into video games, and the Genesis specifically, up until about 92-93. When TJ&E came out, it was hailed as a showpiece for the Genesis graphics & sound, but I thought COI had already accomplished that with it's fantastic soundtrack & beautiful imagery. Up until then, many Genesis games just sounded dark & burbly to me, and only a few had truly standout graphics, but COI brought out the best of the Genesis. Plus, it was a genuinely fun game.

Mystic Defender: Strange yet addicting
    Ghostbusters: Far removed from the movie, but quite fun
    ESWAT: A vast improvement on an arcade game that I thought was only so-so
    Ghouls & Ghosts: Damn near arcade perfect, right down to the last frustrating bits.
    Sonic: When this game came out, it screamed 'killer app' so loudly that even the diehard Nintendo fans were coming to the Sega camp. The split screen in Sonic 2 showed that there was more graphic gusto in the Genesis than everybody had thought. Too bad the effect wasn't used more often.

I originally got out of the game market before any of the red-box games were released, so I'm constantly discovering new & amazing Genesis games. I was blown away by Gunstar Heroes after I played it for the first time a few months back.

I remember my friends and I being pretty impressed/amused with the Sports Talk games. Partially because of all the different things the announcer would say, and partially because of the little goofs it would make.

I was pretty infuriated by Fantasia & Sword of Sodan (mainly due to the ponderous controls), although I still played 'em 'till I beat 'em. I also felt a bit cheated by the Sega CD. For the system that was supposed to be the SNES killer, it sure didn't look as good as it's pictures. I received a Sega CD for Christmas the year it came out, but few months later, I sold everything and started paying more attention to girls.

I was with my parents, picking out a new Master System game in Toys R' Us when I saw a kiosk set up demoing Altered Beast. I just stared at it for like 10 minutes... The control pad was curved, like a scimitar, with 3 whole trigger buttons. Then I stared at the box art, reading the words, "16-BIT CARTRIDGE" over and over again. The price tag seemed unreachable, but the 16-BIT mantra haunted my subconscious

Had it, sold it, now I own about 15 of them. Game room has a model 2/sidecar Sega CD/32X, and a model 1 & piggyback Sega CD modded for S-Video (makes a huge difference). Still looking for an x'eye & laseractive.

153 Genesis, 66 CDs, and 7 32x games. 170 empty boxes, 224 surplus manuals.

I remember constantly fighting the Genesis vs SNES holy wars during high school. Half of my friends for one, half for the other, and periodically there'd be some random stoner kid for the TG16, but he never counted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too knew of the Genesis a decade ago but, being a steadfast Atari fan, scoffed at it during my wait for the Jaguar... A housemate had it & I played some "Golden Axe II". I scored one from work some time ago & enjoy my "new" toy.
    My favorite game is "CrackDown". I loved it in the arcade; the only SEGA arcade game I'd play. I was glad to find a home version & an eBay seller politely broke up a set to sell it!
    Other faves: Ghouls & Ghosts, SubTerrania, Chakan, Alien Storm
    I'm surprised most of the games are so damn HARD! G&G, Bart's Nightmare, & Gargoyles are nearly impossible to play. I played a part of Gargoyles for an HOUR once & was screaming out loud (in my apt) about how hard it was for a "kid's game"!
    As stated, a friend had one & I liked "Golden Axe II". I didn't know the available games as I didn't buy any. I have one now w/ these games:
    CrackDown
    SubTerrania
    Bart's Nightmare
    Sonic 2
    Judge Dredd
    Alien Storm
    Ghouls & Ghosts
    Chakan
    Gargoyles
    Wheel of Fortune
    Steel Empire
    PGA European Tour
    The main story I recall is playing "Golden Axe II" w/ a friend. He was the dwarf (& somewhat dwarfish himself) & whenever he used his magic, he'd yell "MAAAGIIIIC!" It was funny at the time.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

-What is your favourite game on the system?
    Wow that would be a tough call. If I could only have one game for it it would probally be Warsong. Very cool Strategy/Rpg.

-What are some of your other favourites?
    NHL95(Best hockey game IMO),Shining Force 1&2,Landstalker, D&D Warriors of the eternal sun, herzog Zwei, Dune, Pirates Gold! Starflight

-What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    I was surprised when I first saw NHL93. It was faster and looked better than Blades of Steel and Ice Hockey(nes) Dune wowed me! First ever RTS! I stayed up all night to beat it. Landstalker would get me pissed off. Some of the jumps were hell.

-Do you remember the first time you saw the systemin action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    I played Herzog Zwei on a friends system. I really liked it. I enjoyed the strategy elements of the game. We then played NHL93 and I was very impressed with it.
    _Did you own thesystem "back in the day"? How about now?
    After playing NHL93 I went and traded in my Nes and games(really dumb move I know) I went to Toys R Us and bought the system with NHL93(X-mas season of 92) I didn't get too involved in playing alot of the games for it until 95.
    -How many games do you have for it?
    37US games and 11 Megadrive games

-Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    Well during the NHL strike in 94 a friend and I decided to have our "own" NHL season. We worked at a bar. We got together 22 other guys and played our own Sega hockey league with NHL95. We played on the bars 27" TV's(used 4 of them) We charged franchise fees and even had a trophey. There was nothing better than getting together with friends and competing in the league. I still keep it going today with 4 other buddies

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probaby Shining Force. It's tough to pick one, when I first saw the question 10 games popped into my head.

Shining Force II, both Golden Axe games, all the Streets of Rage's, all the Sonic games (except Spinball ), Gunstar Heroes, NHL '94, Ghostbusters, NBA Jam, Street Fighter II CE, Mortal Kombat 1 and 2, and so on and so on

Gunstar Heroes and Ristar surprise me by how little attention the recieved back then. I think most people had jumped ship to SNES by that time. Pac-Attack is another great game that I completely missed. I can't think of any game that really infuriated me off hand. Maybe Battletoads, too hard!

The first time I remember playing it was probably in a Sears store. I remeber it had one of those game selector things with like 6 cartridges in it. David Robinson Basketball and Quackshot were probably the first Genesis games I ever played, I was blown away .

I got my first Genesis for christmas back when Sonic 2 was the pack-in. Once Sega Cd dropped to like $60 at most stores, I got one of those. I got a 32x when it went down to $30. Somewhere after that point I needed money for N64 games or something, and everything got sold. I picked up collecting a few years later after I dropped my big NES collection.

Around 320. I've had to quit buying games because I'm so low on space. Once I finally have more room, I'll probably pick back up where I left off. I've already got pretty much all the rpg's, and so mostly whats left is a few real rarities (Blockbuster Competition cart, Bible Games, Action 52), and the slew of sports games I've been avoiding.

I've probably played more WWF Royal Rumble than any other person on earth. I couldn't get enough of that when I was younger. I also played an obscene amount of WWF Raw. I probably rented it 10 times, no joke.

-Hitman-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you're gonna own a game for this system, I'd try:

Comix Zone. Back in the day I played the PC port a LOT. I'd look up this one in emulation first, but I'm quite sure the ROM would be the same as the PC version (as the PC version had the same number of colors).

Contra! Best game for the system in my opinion. Who cares about Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier, heh :P

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-What is your favorite game on this system? What are some of your other favorites?
    Hmmmmm....Tie: Thunder Force III, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star II, Granada... Can't pick one!

Blaster Master 2 surprised me because it's so crappy. Take a classic 8-bit game and make an inferior 16-bit sequel? Dropped the ball...so I guess it infuriated me as well.
    Alien 3 in a good way--turned out to be a fun game!

-Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    Altered Beast, of course. 1989. I had waited for the Genesis to come out. Graphics like that, Kee-rist...I was blown away. Had to get one.

-Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    Yep. Got it in 1990. Sold my NES (regretted it for years, recently bought a refurbished one and all of my old faves). Got the Altered Beast package. Have long since gotten rid of AB--what a CRAPPY game. Still have the old warhorse! In fact, have been recently buying games...Streets Rage 3, PS IV, games I passed up long ago. Still play all of my games, love 'em! Now I want to get into RGB...I can't believe what a difference it makes, plus my RF unit is dying...

-How many games do you have for it?
    Aladdin, Alien 3, Castle of Illusion, Contra Hard Corps, Eternal Champions, Ghostbusters, Granada, Gaiares, Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star II & IV, Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi III, Thunder Force II & III & IV, Sonic 1 & 2, Streets of Rage 2 & 3, Vectorman (most are complete)

-Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    My original 3-button controller was stolen last fall!! One of the best ever made for any system. Dammit.
    The first games I played were Thunder Force II and Revenge of Shinobi--I borrowed them from a high school buddy. I read about a stage select in TFII where you take the cart out while it's on, insert another one...and that it's potentially damaging! I did it with his--the only time I ever got to those later stages.
    Eternal Champions was the big "tournament" game for my friends and me--I can't believe my old 6-buttons still work...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your favorite game on this system?
    That's a tough question... would have to be Shining Force II
    What are some of your other favorites?
    Altered Beast
    Revenge Of Shinobi
    Shadowrun
    Shining Force
    Streets Of Rage
    MUSHA
    Comix Zone
    Probably missing a few, but those srping to mind immediately.
    What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The HyperStone Heist suprised me.
    I was 11 when I got it, and couldn't believe how it looked JUST like the TMNT, as opposed to TMNT games I had played on the NES. The Sound Effect/Voice Samples, Animation, everything just blew me away.
    Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition infuriated me. with the difficulty slider there may have been many stars to indicate difficulty but really there were only 2 difficulties. 3-4 stars or less, Too Easy. 4 stars or more, the CPU was so damn cheap you would crush the game under the leg of your chair after having Ryu or Ken uppercut your ass repatedly before you could could do anything, or having Guile walk towards you and flick off two or three sonic booms...
    Jesus.. see how it's got me going already? and yes, I DID crush the cart under the leg of my chair. and I don't miss it all.
    Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    When I got it for my 11th birthday. I got Sonic The Hedgehog with it. The fact it said SEGA when starting was tres cool. and once the game began, there were more colors than I could count. the animation... EVERYTHING moved... backgrounds, bridges, flowers... amazing. Plus when you didn't do anything sonic got annoyed.
    Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    Well, I got it July 1992... that's back in the day... and I still own it.
    How many games do you have for it?
    approx. 50. If I werent at work I'd go count.
    Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    I mention above I still had it... well not the original... my original eventually had a faulty RF port wherein you'd have to hold the cord that plugged into it straight up... scotch tape was handy... but then I managed to get a second hand one off my buddy, he gave it to me for half a pack of smokes (value: 6 canadian bucks)... God Bless Smokers who'll do anything for smokes... He had already sold his games to pay off his tab at the local takeout so he didn't mind practically giving away the system... wish I had known when he was selling his games, he had a few good ones...

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Re: Official Sega Genesis Thread

[quote="digitalpress"]
    1: Easy. Sonic the hedgehog 2.

2: Everything sonic, Alladin, Ghostbusters, NBA Jam T.E... The list goes on.

3:Sonic & Knuckles. When i tried out the Lock-On feature, I was breathless. SO COOL.

4: The first time i saw it in action was sometime in 2003. I didn't get very good picture quality, though - It was at a junk store, And the system was in poor condition.

5: I did not own a Genesis Back in the day. But i own 6 of them now.

6: I own 79 games total, Not counting duplicates. The number is vulnerable to changing, though!

7: My quest to buy a sega genesis: I went one place to the next. A junk store was first. Thy's system did not work well. Then I went to Ebay to buy a genesis and a 32x to play Chaotix! I got my first Sega genesis With all to play and 15 games for $50 Plus shipping. It took a week to arrive. When it came i played. I liked. THE END...... Or is it?

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Favorite Game: I don't really have a clear-cut favorite. I want to say Mega Man: The Wily Wars, but that was only available on the Sega Channel.. So I'm a bit undecided on that one.

Other Favorites: Beyond Oasis, Contra Hardcorps, Castlevania Bloodlines, Road Rash series, Skitchin', Shining Force 1 & 2, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV, the Sonic series, Streets of Rage series, Mutant League Football, Mutant League Hockey, Lethal Enforcers 1 & 2, Golden Axe 2, Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition.

Game that Surprised me/Infuriated me: Beyond Oasis was one of the games that surprised me. I never heard of the game the first time I played it, so I gave it a go back when I had the Sega Channel. It took me awhile to beat it, but it was pretty good for a non-Final Fantasy game. As for a game that infuriated me..... Probably Castlevania Bloodlines. I like the game, but it's very hard at times. I'm surprised that I beat it.

First time I saw the system in action: I'm not real sure on that one. Might've been when I was over at my brother's friend's house, and he had a Genesis. Or it might've been a TV ad. But when I first saw Sonic the Hedgehog, I thought it looked pretty cool.

Do I still own the system: Yep. My brother chose that over the SNES in either '91 or '92 (although we did get the Super Nintendo sometime later). We've had the system for 13-14 years, and only own one game for it: Sonic the Hedgehog. Aye.

Any stories: Not off the top of my head. I do remember my brother letting his friend borrow Final Fantasy 3 for the Sega CD and some games. I really didn't want to play it at all, but then I gave Snatcher a shot. Found out that it was a pretty good game. Only that, Lunar 2, and Shining Force CD were the only games I played.

Sega Channel was a unique experience as well. 50 games a month. We played that every day of every month.[/b]