Thread: Standing up for the sports videogames!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Standing up for the sports videogames!

Ive never been a HUGE fan of sport games, but after hearing the usual "why play sport games when you can play the sport in real life" once again recently, its finally annoying me, probably because Ive been playing FIFA 2005 and Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven non stop for several months with mates and the fun seems to not stop.

Even games like NBA Jam, Waye Gretzky's 64 Hockey and Tecmo World Cup Soccer are still awesome fun. So anyway to all you haters of sports videogames, I will gladly answer the above question.

Sports games are REAL games no matter what you think! Are you pressing buttons? Yes. Are you interacting with a game/friends and having fun? Yes! Some people dont have the time to go outside and play, or are too lazy, or perhaps too fat, or maybe just maybe, they actually are having fun plaiyng these pointless sport videogames

Anyway just felt I needed to get that off my chest, feel free to share your thoughts.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most people bash sports games because they're nothing but roster upgrades from the game that came before it (there are exceptions, of course). The fact that they charge $50 for basically the same game is kinda vexing.

I have Madden 2004, I enjoyed it for awhile. But I like older sports games. Blades of Steel, Ice Hockey, Tecmo Super Bowl, Tennis.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan the Foul
    Most people bash sports games because they're nothing buy roster upgrades from the game that came before it (there are exceptions, of course). The fact that they charge $50 for basically the same game is kinda vexing.
    Yep that be the reason right there. I normally own one game for each system for each sport. And what bugs me (except for football) is the length of the seasons, yeah I know I could lower it but that feels like cheating. For instance: in a hockey game My record for the first 20 games is usually like 5-15 then the last 62 I go 60-2. And win the cup in 16 games. It took me 2 years to beat NHL 2K2 on the DC, Because I had to play 100 games at an hour a piece. Good value, but I'll never look at the game again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

That's right. I just opened up the rarity guide and searched for "Madden" and got 80 hits. That's why people get burned out on them.

And, I only partially agree with the argument that "you could be doing that in real life." Chances are I'll never be in or even at the Superbowl, so playing pro football on a videogame system is okay with me. It's games like bowling, fishing, and darts that I think those rules apply to. While not the most apt athlete, I think those sports are within even my grasp.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget pool Regarding the long seasons, I actually enjoy playing full seasons in baseball games as I enjoy seeing my best players' stats go up in the big categories (homers, RBIs, wins, saves, etc.). It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it...maybe a bit more so in that baseball's really the only sport I'm a big fan of. I'll play a bit of football and tennis (video game wise) now and then but that's about it. And I'll probably plunk down my $50 when MVP Baseball 2005 comes out since it'll be the final version of that, my favorite baseball game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Default Re: Standing up for the sports videogames!

"why play sport games when you can play the sport in real life"
    This argument never holds water, because if you've ever seen Players on G4, or MTV Cribs, or the short series ESPN's Sportscenter did on video games, you'd know that hundreds of professional athletes play sports video games. To run with Flack's post, even athletes that have been in (and won) the Super Bowl sit down with Madden or NFL 2k5 or NCAA.

And I don't know about anybody else but I have a problem finding 17 other people that want to play baseball with me. So Baseball Stars it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I dunno, I think two of the major beefs that people have with sports games are a) They clog up every second-hand game store and b) They are the domain of the 'casual' gamer and thus somehow 'less worthy'.

I agree with a), but any of the elitist "hardcore" snobs who subscribe to b) can go fudge themselves. Casual gamers are what the industry profits come from, so like it or not, it's natural that they're going to be catered for.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

What annoys me most about sports game haters is the fact that rarely are they sports fans. As such their opinions on what makes a good sports game are moot to begin with.

People just hate them because they're successful. If Madden wasn't consistanly the biggest seller year in and year out they'd barely talk about them...
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tennis games are one thing. But I don't like the rest simply b/c I'm not a sports fan outside of Tennis, Bocce & Snowboarding. As a snowboarding addict I have never really been able to get into snowboarding games, while SSX & 1080 are mildy entertaining, they can in no way possible emulate the experience. I love the sport far too much to insult it by playing the game.

on the other side of the coin, Mario Bocce anyone?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think at the heart of it, it all comes down to how big of a fan you are for the real life version of the game. I like basketball a lot, and I played an entire season of NBA 2K1 because of it. I really like the newer games as they have updated rosters, although I don't buy them until they drop under $20.00 apiece (thanks again, Sega ).

The real life argument definitely doesn't hold merit, because how easy is it to get together a group of 20 or so guys to play a game of football? And how much more money would it cost for the equipment? While games like basketball and baseball are much easier to play with friends, you still have to set up times for it. You can sit down and play anytime with a video game.

In the end though, yes they are real games, although I completely understand people that are not fans of the particular sport wanting to plunk down money on a new one, no matter how good it is, in the same way as a new Halo or Metal Gear Solid. I know, for instance, that I could never bring myself to pay a lot of money for a new NHL game. Friends that are hockey fans will though...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333