Thread: Why two versions of some O2 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why two versions of some O2 games?

As many O2 collectors know, there are two versions of K.C. Munchkin. One version has white copyright text on the cartridge label; the other has yellow copyright text. In the yellow-text version, one of the enemy Munchers is orange. In the white-text version, that Muncher is blue. I've never heard the reason behind this change.

A while ago, I received email from somebody who claimed to have once read an article about this. The article stated that the change was made because of the Atari lawsuit about K.C. being too similar to Pac-Man. Magnavox wanted to prove that the games weren't the same; the blue Muncher apparently looked too similar to Inky, so Magnavox changed the color. This explanation is possible I suppose, but seems a little farfetched.

Unfortunately, he'd read this years ago and couldn't remember where he'd read it. He could only recall it was a magazine article. Has anyone else ever heard or read this? Could you point me to a source if so?

In a separate but related issue, many O2 carts have two label designs that feature different part numbers and copyright text. Early releases credit Magnavox only, while later ones credit North American Philips. My above informant tells me that Alien Invaders-Plus has a deeper change. The early version, he says, has a flaw where the Monstroth, after being killed, would return and stay in the top left hand corner for too long. This made the game too easly. The second release removed this bug. Again, he couldn't remember where he'd read this.

I've never heard of this before. Once I get my O2 stuff unpacked I'll try to check it myself, but I was wondering if anyone here had ever heard of this.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are both news to me. As far as the KC Munchkin artwork thing...I find that highly unlikely. It's the game that Atari took issue with, not so much the artwork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    It's the game that Atari took issue with, not so much the artwork.
    Actually, it's not the artwork that was changed. The Muncher on the screen is a different color. I guess my explanation wasn't entirely clear.

I'm not sure I buy this explanation either, but it seems like there has to be some reason two different versions of the program code were released. As far as I can tell, nothing else in the game was changed.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!