Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hidden secret worlds-Metroid and Castlevania

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Hidden secret worlds-Metroid and Castlevania

Many of you have probably heard about the secret worlds in the original Metroid that are really just glitches, but accessible through different means (getting stuck in doors, emulators, game genie, etc). The are pretty well documented in the Metroid Database:

http://www.classicgaming.com/mdb/m1/secretworlds.htm

Castlevania, it was discovered a while back, seems to have similar secret levels that are accessed usually by using level edito programs and such. Often, it involves climbing up or a set of stairs that goes beyond the boundary of the screen (where there wasn't a set of stairs before or by extending an existing set of stairs..

My understanding is that these screens are hidden throughout the other NES Castlevanias too.

Does anyone know of a site that documents these (much like the Metroid Database does for the Metroid games)?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn now this is interesting!
    I never knew about this, even thou i adore Castlevania!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now this is something worth checking out...excellent find rbudrick

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've heard about this for Castlevania 3, but not the other two. I remember browsing some web page that went over it pretty thoroughly with screen shots and everything. Can't seem to recall where, though. Perhaps the Castlevania Dungeon has something about it?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I screwed around with this idea in Castlevania 2, I found that going off the map would simply warp you to another existing spot. I didn't find any unused/glitchy areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Zelda - Link's Awakening on the GameBoy had similar "Secret worlds" if you used the screen skipping cheat... You could also access these "Inside the walls worlds" by a few other means as well (Ie, boss in first dungeon)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That site was awesome until I tried to download the Metroid Screenshot Map and it told me to create a "Free" account with FilePlanet. So I went through the damn process and it NEVER LET ME DOWNLOAD! It said "Turn off Pop-up blockers" so I did. Still, nothing. It is a POS website and should be killed immediately. FilePlanet that is, not ClassicGaming. The MDb is still awesome. But their affiliation with such a horribly designed site (With NO LOG IN FORM TO BE FOUND) is an abomination to mankind.

I just want the Screenshot Map! Now I have an account with no working way to log into the stupid site.

//End Rant

I too would like to know if there are other similar sites that detailed. Maybe a SMB version that details the inner workings of the Super Mario games. TMK is great, but not enough.

Side note, I've never been able to get past maybe screen 10 or so in the original Metroid. Those old Classic games are impossible!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

didn't SoTN have some hidden area near the beginning of the game where you fall down and there is a savepoint and everything?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i prefer the super mario bros 3 hidden levels. there is info somewhere, they even have the green buzzy beetles.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    didn't SoTN have some hidden area near the beginning of the game where you fall down and there is a savepoint and everything?
    Sure did, that is hard to time...only Richter can access it I heard...not too sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soniko_karuto
    i prefer the super mario bros 3 hidden levels. there is info somewhere, they even have the green buzzy beetles.
    It's on The Mushroom Kingdom somewhere, www.classicgaming.com/tmk ... just browse around for a little bit, should be easy to find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done the Metriod thing before, where you get 'stuck' in a door and jump up to new areas. Very easy to do actually. Never heard of anything like this for Castlevania...if it is for the original nes Castlevania LINK PLEASE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This just made me load up my Metroid ROM with the two Energy Game Genie passwords (SXSGNVSE and YAXGVPLA gives you seemingly infinite energy even though their descriptions don't imply it.) to play. I was all over the place and even after an hour and a half I didn't even make it to the first boss. So I got bored and decided to try and go to Mother Brain early.. Boy was that stupid. An inescapable pit. Since I couldn't die, I couldn't die. And there was no way out. So I had to give up. Oh well. Maybe one day I'll actually try to play from the beginning.. No Mother Brain for me today.

But let me tell you. If it weren't for the GG codes, I would have died about oh.. 1000 times. There is NO WAY I could ever EVER beat that game without the cheats. NO WAY! WHO DESIGNED THIS GAME???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, thanks to the "Nar" password and the two Game Genie codes, I finally beat Mother Brain. I'm happy now. I'm set. Sure, I cheated, but there was no other way I would ever be able to beat her. And I can die happy knowing I beat the game.. All I had to do was go after Kraid then Ridley and hed to MB and I was done. Hello bikini ending.

Now to tackle Kid Icarus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Well, thanks to the "Nar" password and the two Game Genie codes, I finally beat Mother Brain. I'm happy now. I'm set. Sure, I cheated, but there was no other way I would ever be able to beat her. And I can die happy knowing I beat the game.. All I had to do was go after Kraid then Ridley and hed to MB and I was done. Hello bikini ending.

heh u dirty cheat! mind you, ill be doing the same once metroid arrvies in a package from Testament! Ive played the game in an emu and i can relate to how hard it is!

As for the hidden worlds... Im positive there are a few more games which have this built in!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco

That took fun out of it,it should be beat it the hard way... then cheat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

I've gotta say, I don't really have a link....I believe I used a program like CVedit or Stake to move some stair cases and then I just went through the top or bottom of the screen...The secret worlds seemed to be everywhere in CV 1. In CV 3 I've only heard of them.

As for CV2, I never heard that they did exist, but Frank mentioned above he never found anything. I am curious though...I remember there was a building in a town that was completely empty and served no purpose (the only one like that in the game, I believe)...you couldn't break through any walls or anything. I've always wanted to try to walk through the walls in that room or go through the floor to see if there's anything actually hidden in there...

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/neslevel.html

Level editors up the wazoo here, folks! Please post your findings here. :-)

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0
    That took fun out of it,it should be beat it the hard way... then cheat
    I've already deemed Metroid impossible for me. To me, beating it with cheat codes is as close as I'll ever get.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

actually metroid is fairly easy, when you know where to go and what to do. I can finish it in about 1:30 (really haven't measured the time) but it ain't as hard as everyone says it is.

Best way to finish it mini guide:
    start, grab the ball, go right, go thru tunnel, fall down, go right, grab the missiles, return to the fall down point, go left, go up, grab long beam, down again, go right (3x), grab the bombs, back again, first corridor, go down, grab ice beam, get out, return to first 5 missiles, go to the purple world, go right, and then to the very bottom, go left, grab boots, go back to normal world, go up to the highest corridor, grab energy tank and varia, go down again, go to almost the beginning, grab energy tank on ceiling (using the frozen bat as a step), go to kraids hideout, on the second floor going down, go right, go to the bottom, then head leaft, see kraid, roll up and bomb the hell out of him, backtrack to the exit, go back to purple world, go to the boot room, go thru the floor opening way with bombs, after crossing get to the green corridor, then go up (hidden pasage) get screwed attack, return to boot room exit to the right, fall down to the very bottom, go left (to a room with somethin like eyes), fall down, right, to a elevator, welcome to riddley's place, go right, all teh way to the bottom,all left, get to riddley, kick his sorry ass with bombs, enter the room for an energy tank, and backtrack to the exit, from elevator backtrack to the exit, go to the first horizontal corridor you saw, go all the way up, go left, shoot statues, cross bridge, freeze metroids, freeze more metrois, shoot mother brain like crazy (with missiles), run away.

There is your bikini ending. have fun!