Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So who wants me at CGE this year?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Default So who wants me at CGE this year?

Yeah I know that might sound a weird question... but I'm having second thoughts about being able to attend. Why? Cost.

I think the air fuel tax rises have already kicked in along with ticket prices going up because of the new compensation rules for late flights is now active.

Compared to last year, my flights are already looking at being 30% more and I didn't even book my flights last year until towards the end of March! :/

Currently I'm looking at almost $1500 for the trip. And that's before any hotel bills, spending money and so on. I figure I can afford it (oh lucky me) but the question is... will it be worth it? That's the real question here.

And before you say Jamie, no the offer to get myself as piss drunk again this time again is not valid :P

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

sure, i could alway use a laugh as you try and keep up with us drinkin Yanks.

thats is if i go.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: So who wants me at CGE this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem

Currently I'm looking at almost $1500 for the trip. And that's before any hotel bills, spending money and so on. I figure I can afford it (oh lucky me) but the question is... will it be worth it? That's the real question here.
    I'm thinking about attending as well, but I think the attendance # is the real question for me. I'd like to see attendance in the 5,000-10,000 range. I don't think that is an unrealistic goal.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

To be honest, I love CGE but I wouldnt go if it cost me a lot of money. I live less that 2 hours by car away from where it's held so all it costs me is a few bucks in gas money. I wouldn't fly in from out of state, much less out of country. For me it wouldn't be worth it, but I;m not much of a social person, and I go to buy games. If you are in to socializing, then I would imagine that it would be worth it to see all of your fellow DPers in person and do some partying after the show.

Chris

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mayhem please come! I want you to. It will definatly be worth it man, just think you only get to see us all once in a year, why would you wanna skip it? I don't know CGE is my favorite part of the year, and I wait for it all year. But just to let you know, you will be missed. Although me and you don't talk much, it's always nice seeing you.

Jibba- I fly in from NY every year, and I think it's worth it. The past 2 years though I have gone for the social scene more then games. Like I said above it's so awsome to see some of my good friends that live far away.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Well trust me, I want to come hang out

But it's getting bloody expensive looking... most likely at least $2000 or more overall. And that's a sizeable whack of my monthly pay check to consider.

Still I have time. Maybe I'll find a cheap deal or something...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want you there, Mat. You were very kind to assist ME to get there the year before last, so I'd like to offer MY assistance to you this year, if need be!

And, don't give up hope, because I'm pretty sure we'll be doing another CGE lottery like we have the past couple of years.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    I want you there, Mat. You were very kind to assist ME to get there the year before last, so I'd like to offer MY assistance to you this year, if need be!

And, don't give up hope, because I'm pretty sure we'll be doing another CGE lottery like we have the past couple of years.
    Thanks Jaime

And yes, I had considered there is the chance I can get some of my costs paid for at least via the DP lottery o'doom heh.

To put it into perspective, the current lowest price I can find is more than the combined cost of my own flight and what I spent to get Achika to San Jose last year. Something ain't right. A number of people agree with me on the compensation thing already driving air fares up.

It's a European directive to try and "force" airlines to keep more to schedule, not overlook or have delays. It affects any air flight starting within Europe even if it doesn't finish in Europe. The amount you can claim if you are held up rises depending on the distance you have to go, but conversely the time you have to be delayed by before you can claim goes up too.

At worse, I believe for a trans Atlantic flight, it has to be 6 hours I think before you can claim, but if that happens, then you can get around £400 back on the cost of your flight. And if you have to stay in a hotel overnight because of it, the airline has to pay for that as well.

Hence to "compensate" for this new legislation, the costs are already being passed onto the general consumer because airlines figure they'll be paying out on some stuff regardless. Though if a delay isn't their fault (baggage handler strike, dodgy weather etc) then they are not liable.

*sigh*

Still you only live once. As said, it isn't a question yet of being able to afford it because I'm fairly sure I can. It's making the most out of the expenditure :P

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I want you to go, Mat. But the question really is: can you afford to MISS it?

Last year's show was an anomaly in my opinion. Decent attendance but way too big of a show floor to create the intimate environment CGE has been over the years.

This year that changes. You won't find an environment MORE intimate. The place is beautiful, everything (even outside of the show) is nearby, and we've gotten the process started much earlier this year which we expect will raise the attendance numbers again.

You know you're gonna be kicking yourself when you find out what went on at the show and see the pictures. So why not just save yourself the headaches and arrange your trip now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

eh, sod it - lets just make sure there's a decent DP presence at CGE UK this year instead

I'd love to be able to make the journey across the Atlantic aswell, but there's no chance I'll be able to drum up that kind of cash.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    eh, sod it - lets just make sure there's a decent DP presence at CGE UK this year instead

I'd love to be able to make the journey across the Atlantic aswell, but there's no chance I'll be able to drum up that kind of cash.
    CGE UK!?!?!?
    /me wants more info

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama

Alright, you guys twisted my arm enough. If DP pays my way over there, I will travel to CGE UK and gallantly represent our tribe.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy_kamino
    CGE UK!?!?!?
    /me wants more info
    http://www.cgeuk.com/

It debuted last year, and was also promoted in Retro Gamer. I wasn't able to make it due to other commitments, but certainly plan to this time around.
    Not sure how closely they're affiliated with the US CGE, perhaps one of the higher-ups can fill us in?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

They're not affiliated with CGE US at all. Indeed I believe they asked Joe for use of the name, he turned them down and they went ahead and used it anyhow. I'm sure Joe can tell us more if I'm right here...

Name wrangling aside, it was a good show last year with Matthew Smith present and hopefully will be better this year. Only problem I see is the fact they've now made it part of Gamestars Live. Will people pay to get into Gamestars if they only want to visit the CGE UK part? Plus it loses some of the atmosphere and closeness by having thousands of non-retro fans milling about.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    To be honest, I love CGE but I wouldnt go if it cost me a lot of money. I live less that 2 hours by car away from where it's held so all it costs me is a few bucks in gas money. I wouldn't fly in from out of state, much less out of country. For me it wouldn't be worth it, but I;m not much of a social person, and I go to buy games. If you are in to socializing, then I would imagine that it would be worth it to see all of your fellow DPers in person and do some partying after the show.

Chris
    What he said exactly. I wouldnt mind hanging out with my fellow DPers this time around. Last year I felt like a stupid noob
    Support Medical Marijuana

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I felt like a N00B too... though I'm going this year since its only 15 minutes away.
    CGE UK might be fun to hit up. I'm planning on being in London this year, maybe I can plan for early September.

-Jason

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    What he said exactly. I wouldnt mind hanging out with my fellow DPers this time around. Last year I felt like a stupid noob
    Hey, were you wearing a pink DP shirt by any chance?

Kristine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there was a picture of Emily in another thread, a ways back... I want to say she had a light blue shirt on, but well, it's been a long time since I saw that thread, and it might not have been her anyway? Dunno...
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Mayhem, you're always a cool guy to talk with, especially at CGE. If you can manage it without a lot of trouble, then come on out, y0. If it's really too much, then you probably shouldn't, but it'd be cool to talk to you again.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Oh... I'm preparing some things :P

Actually it's just as well I hadn't booked something just yet as I may well be fully occupied the weekend before CGE... my plan was to come out several days earlier to hang with QoF but if I'd already booked that... well I wouldn't be able to do this other thing.

Strange how these things go on.

But rest assured I'm still looking into coming out