Thread: classic handheld/tabletop guide!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default classic handheld/tabletop guide!

with the guide branching out to cover obscure systems like the CD32 and the mattel aquarius its high time to address the glaring omission of one of classic gaming's richest areas- battery powered classic games. everyone remembers the coleco tabletops, mattel sports and nintendo game and watches, but they are only the tip of the iceberg. tabletops covered all sorts of classic arcade games from stargate to amidar, dozens of makers threw their games on to the market and left a rich legacy for collectors to explore. thus far this area has yet to enjoy a definative guide, "electronic plastic" is great buts its really more of a coffee table book and dont even get me started on billy galaxy's guide. i propose that digital press, the most trusted name in game guides create a section to provide collectors with a real resource. i see the section broken into the following sections- manufactuers and game and watch, avoiding the late 80s- present tiger style lcds for now. oh and of course i volunteer to write for it although some one else might be better suited to tackle the g&w section...

come on dp, lets start a new section for 2003!
    ________
    Fuck Black Stud
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 02:29 AM.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Well, we've got the database to support it Christian, but I'd need someone to champion the effort.

*nudge*

Actually the guys who bring the massive handheld collections to CGE might be good resources but they might not be up to maintaning the data. If someone wants to be the champion *nudge* I can put you in touch with them for their consulative expertise!

Let me know. The ball is in YOUR court now.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good idea

Guys...why not ask some help to the Handheld Museum ?

http://users2.ev1.net/~rik1138/index.html

He already have a great database about almost any tabletops/handheld on the planet. I understand why Christian want to avoid the late 80's LCD games: They are all crap...well the are always some exceptions like the Remco's LCD "arcade look a like", which is a really cool design (i have the Ghostbusters)

http://users2.ev1.net/~rik1138/Misc/...ostbusters.htm

And in the future if you want to add the "Games Watch" (not the Game & Watch by Nintendo) just ask to SLYDC, the last time i saw his collection he have about 60 watches, he just missed the "big one" like the GCE Vectrex.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a 100% handheld fanatic myself. I'd LOVE to see this come to fruition. Handhelds are definitely one of the more neglected/forgotten items, yet are still an awesome subdivision of classic gaming goodness.

Although my collection's not HUGE, I've got a generally respectible assortment of stuff back home from my frequent Japan trips in the 80's including several arcade ports (Pengo lcd/vfd, Tutankham vfd, Burgertime lcd, Zaxxon lcd, Hyper Olympic vfd, etc.), as well as several oddball titles (like a skiing lcd game where you rock it back and forth and a a ball inside controls your movement), And the thing is, until only recently with the the internet, a lot of folks in the states didn't even know these ports even existed. So I'm sure many of us would love to see some sort of guide (maybe a subsection of the DP Guide? :P). Handheldmuseum.com has a pretty good library there though I do have to say....

Anyway, just my 2 cents

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think we have a mission here! i'm up for it and hopefully i'll be able to persude a few folks to join in here and there. i've got the time and research passion to get this going, like i said above i'm going to limit myself to the classic era. some games like merlin, touch me and so on will be hard to leave out or include since they walk the line between game and toy, lots of little choices to make. if anybody reading this is a game and watch expert please speak up, i'd rather see that section covered by someone who has a big collection of them.

i'm really looking forward to putting this together, and i'm hoping a lot of people will get some use out of it once its done. its about time handheld collectors had their turn to show what life was like in the pre-gameboy era!

DP- i'll get in touch with you directly after christmas to talk about this.
    ________
    Penny stocks to buy
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too would love to see a guide about handhelds; my experience has been that a lot of handheld collectors have a ton of really cool stuff, but have never banded together to put a definitive guide out about it.

And definitive guides is what DP is all about