Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The tired old question comes back....recession or what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default The tired old question comes back....recession or what?

I know, for quite some time many of us "old timers" have been scratching our heads trying to figure out what the hell the game industry is doing, and what it is doing to continue to rake in trillions of dollars. On one hand, you have the positive side in which the market seems to be able to support three main consoles, as well as a growing portable industry. There is, however a darker side to the industry that has been lurking for some time. Many gamers(such as myself) thought that 2004 was going to be a year of recession, only to be very very wrong. 2004 was a very sold gaming year, in which many different companines thrived and were able to financially succeed. A possible truth is that the future may look different with several factors to be involved(Rising Development costs, Game saturation, Lackluster gameplay innovation, expensive pricepoints). This topic has come up before, but not "right now" during the Spring of 2005 and on. Who here has an opinion either way? Is 2005 going to be as successful as 2004 or will it be the year to finally start showing a sign of slowing down for the gaming industry? What opinions do you have? It does not matter to me, I have been wrong before!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that a main difference between the last videogame recession and the way that things are now is that, now, consumers digest games equally with that of music and movies (not quite sure how literature would factor into that, being another form of entertainment).

I see big changes possibly taking place with how [the companies that make games] are structured - say for example, Nintendo becoming a software only company in the way that Sega has.

I don't see game sales slowing down in 05, however. Entertainment is highly dependent on digital and electronic mediums, and games are an integrated part. All cell phones have games, iPods have a built in game, Pal Pilots and blackberry handhelds have at least one built in game - gaming is an integral part of the culture that is our electronic products. Plus there are kids that want new toys and people like you and me who are nutty for just about anything that has anything to do with games - have it be an obsession with escaping reality or an attempt to buy back our childhoods - but that's a discussion for another thread.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that I see happening, is that prices of XBOX, PS2 and Cube games are going to be lower brand new, except for the AAA games. The big name games like Doom 3 and God of War and Gran Turismo 4, will still command the $49.99 price, but I see more and more games coming out at much lower price points.

More and more games at $29.99 and $34.99 and $19.99, etc, etc.

When the new systems come out, I think we will actually see a rise in prices of games. I think that we are going to see $59.99 games for the first time in a long time. But I think it will be short lived, and again I see things moving towards the big blockbuster games commanding $49.99, but all the other games coming out around $29.99 or so.

I also think you are going to see a trend of when games come out, after a few months, the prices of the games are going to drop dramatically. You are going to see more and more games for $9.99 and $14.99 and stuff like that.

There is just too many damn games out there, and with that, will come the drop in prices, especially at the resale market.

Certainly, the big time games, the huge games, the Maddens and the GTA's and the Halo's will command top dollar, but everything else will have to compete at a totally different price point.

The problem with this model, is that it's going to stifle creative design. Developers are going to focus on trying to make major hits, and they aren't going to try new, unproven ideas. Smaller companies are going to go belly up, or be bought out by larger software houses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If the rate of games being released doesn't slow dramatically in 2005, I think the Xbox2 is screwed. Going by the normal 5 year console cycle, usually by the fifth year things have started slowing down and people are hungry for a new console. I don't know of any normal consumer who's hungry for a new console. Many people's first PS2 was a slimline one. The PS2 and Xbox are still throwing releases at us like crazy, and if my kid were a little older and was wanting the next Xbox later this year, I'd say well, you can get an Xbox2 or you can keep your Xbox and when the prices drop on all the games you can pick up the hundreds of games you've never played before.

I'm not sure what Microsoft should do. If good releases are still coming hot and heavy this year, I think moving a lot of XB2's will be tough. On the other hand, if they let up on releases, I would expect Sony to then flood the market to make consumers say "hey, why am I buying an XB2 when all these new great PS2 games are coming out and I can get a PS2 for (at least) half the price!). I'm not saying they won't sell any XB2's, but if Ms. Soccer Mom goes into Wal-Mart and sees brand new PS2/Xbox games coming out, selling a new $300 console to someone who doesn't plan on owning every console ever made might be a tough sale.

As for Nintendo ... they *really* need to work on their image. Even though there are a lot of GC titles aimed at adults, they still have an image of being a kid's console. They also have a reputation of not having as many games as their competitors. This year would be a great time to break that mold -- while everyone else is focusing on their next gen consoles, blow the competition away with a slew of releases for your $99 console.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    If the rate of games being released doesn't slow dramatically in 2005, I think the Xbox2 is screwed. Going by the normal 5 year console cycle, usually by the fifth year things have started slowing down and people are hungry for a new console. I don't know of any normal consumer who's hungry for a new console. Many people's first PS2 was a slimline one. The PS2 and Xbox are still throwing releases at us like crazy, and if my kid were a little older and was wanting the next Xbox later this year, I'd say well, you can get an Xbox2 or you can keep your Xbox and when the prices drop on all the games you can pick up the hundreds of games you've never played before.

I'm not sure what Microsoft should do. If good releases are still coming hot and heavy this year, I think moving a lot of XB2's will be tough. On the other hand, if they let up on releases, I would expect Sony to then flood the market to make consumers say "hey, why am I buying an XB2 when all these new great PS2 games are coming out and I can get a PS2 for (at least) half the price!). I'm not saying they won't sell any XB2's, but if Ms. Soccer Mom goes into Wal-Mart and sees brand new PS2/Xbox games coming out, selling a new $300 console to someone who doesn't plan on owning every console ever made might be a tough sale.

As for Nintendo ... they *really* need to work on their image. Even though there are a lot of GC titles aimed at adults, they still have an image of being a kid's console. They also have a reputation of not having as many games as their competitors. This year would be a great time to break that mold -- while everyone else is focusing on their next gen consoles, blow the competition away with a slew of releases for your $99 console.

The idea for Microsoft with the XBOX 2, is to simply get the thing out, so they have a slight advantage over the PS2, in terms of already being entrenched in the marketplace. Personally, I think it's a horrible mistake. Remember Dreamcast? They got a huge jump on Sony, but it didn't matter at all. Also, I think that the XBOX 2 is definitely going to be $299.99 or maybe even $349.99, and that they really aren't targeting soccer moms for this system in 2005 and 2006. They are targeting the early adopter types. The same type of people that went out and bought PSP's already.

I'm sure that XBOX execs are going to say that XBOX 1 and XBOX 2 target completely different markets and that they can co-exist for quite some time. It's the same line of garbage that Tom Kalinske was talking about during the whole Sega CD, Sega 32X and Saturn era. That each unit was targeting a different segment of the market and that they could all co-exist and be very successful.

The bottom line is that Microsoft is making a horrible decision by releasing the XBOX 2 this Xmas. They are going it more because "they can" than anything. It's almost like they are little kids wanting to show off their brand new toy. The reality is that it's not a good idea to bring that system out right now, but why let logic spoil their fun? They are going to go with the excuse that the reason that they lost last time, is because of the head start that the PS2 had. So they aren't going to let that happen again.

That's bullshit. That isn't the reason they lost. The reason they lost is because Sony has millions upon millions of consumers totally brainwashed into buying whatever piece of technology they bring out.

But Microsoft is going to stick to the reasoning that they want to get a "headstart" a jump on the competition, that they aren't going to lose this war by coming late to the party.

It's really stupid on their part, but they will learn again, that just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God, I cant wait for XBOX 2. I think you are so wrong, its totally time for a new ultra powered console. I need HIGH DEF!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default why Xbox can stay around....

Microsoft is in a pickle....their Xbox console looses them money each one that they sell(hence they are slowing production and getting to ramp up a launch for Xbox 2)....which may not be supported

They have stated that the new console is not compatable with Xbox games(although nothing is for certain before E3)

I too am worried that the Xbox 2 is a bad idea this Xmas. I agree that hardcore gamers will rush out and buy a console whenever it is launched....but hardcore gamers dont support a console. It will take a sound video system price, games, and hardware to keep a system going for several years. If you dont have those things going for your console, then you might be in trouble

I hope for the best and expect the year to be at least interesting. Personally, I think that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, dont have an fing clue sometimes....it is like they forget about why people play games in the first place....

As for now I have recently enjoyed buying more brand new titles than I have ever bought before....thanks to 19.99 price tags!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    That's bullshit. That isn't the reason they lost. The reason they lost is because Sony has millions upon millions of consumers totally brainwashed into buying whatever piece of technology they bring out.
    Actually, THAT is bullshit. If this statement were true, then there is no hope of anyone EVER overtaking Sony. If we apply this theory backwards, Atari is still ruling the gameing market today. If you honestly think that the PS2's head start has NOTHING to do with it's dominance today you are mistaken. It's not the ONLY factor by any means, but it definitelty has an impact.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

It's always Sony has people brainwashed. Never do people consider that maybe, just maybe, Sony did something right that everyone else continues to do wrong.

That said, I agree with Flack's post upthread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    It's always Sony has people brainwashed. Never do people consider that maybe, just maybe, Sony did something right that everyone else continues to do wrong.
    Agreed! Sony were there at the right time and made their move which proved to be extremely succesful!
    I mean sure there will be the odd brainwashed people or fan boys but not everyone is like that!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: why Xbox can stay around....

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    Microsoft is in a pickle....their Xbox console looses them money each one that they sell
    Just out of curiousity, do we actually know if MS is still losing money on each system ? It was quite a while back when they first announced it, so im sure theyve had plenty of time to at least break even on them, going by the ps2 price difference of then and now.

Im too tired to actually read the entire thread and comment on anything else... but its better than another psp thread (damn you Sony for putting Europe/Au last).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddockery
    Actually, THAT is bullshit. If this statement were true, then there is no hope of anyone EVER overtaking Sony. If we apply this theory backwards, Atari is still ruling the gameing market today. If you honestly think that the PS2's head start has NOTHING to do with it's dominance today you are mistaken. It's not the ONLY factor by any means, but it definitelty has an impact.

Actually, didn't Sega have the head start with the Dreamcast launch one year earlier?

If the whole head start theory meant anything, then the Dreamcast would have been the dominant system.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What exactly did Sony do right?

1. They released a console that was supposed to be the alpha and the omega, with it's "Emotion Engine" and all that crap, and it actually is one of the worst designed systems in History. It doesn't have enough video ram to do progressive scan games, so it took years and years before we actually started seeing any progressive scan games. While the Dreamcast, a console supposedly vastly inferior, had 95 percent of it's library progressive scan. It can't do Dolby Digital 5.1 in the game, while the XBOX has no problem with that. During the launch and the early period of the system, it was jaggies in every game. The system just wasn't designed very good plain and simple.

2. When they launched, the launch lineup was abysmal at best. SSX, Madden and Smugglers Run were the only decent games available.

3. They had horrible hardware shortages during the launch and first 6 months of availability.

4. All during the entire life of the PS2 there has been problems with the systems breaking and needing repair.

The reality is that the PS2 was a total dissaster and ended up succeding DESPITE all of Sony's terrible blunders.

Why did it succed?

1. Because it had the name Sony on it, and it had the name Playstation on it, and for whatever reason it had that cool factor because of that.

2. Because the PS1 had so thouroughly dominated the 32/64 bit wars, it had every developer and their brother making games for it. It had all the best developers in Japan and Europe and the U.S. making games for it, because it was expected to be the dominant platform.

3. Money - Sony had heaps and heaps of money that they could use to market the system and buy exclusive windows on key games. The Grand Theft Auto exclusivity, and the E.A. Sports only online on PS2 exclusivity basically ensured that the PS2 would be the dominant platform.

If you really look at it, the PS2 is the dominant platform, in spite of the bad engineering of the system, the horrible launch lineup, the hardware shortages and the terrible reliability of the hardware.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Don't forget Sony got backwards compatibility for the PS2 right, which didn't alienate all those who bought and still play/buy PSX games, like Nintendo's done with their GB lines.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Don't forget Sony got backwards compatibility for the PS2 right, which didn't alienate all those who bought and still play/buy PSX games, like Nintendo's done with their GB lines.

Actually, that's true. They did at least do one thing right with the PS2. But as much as people talk about the backwards compatibility, I think that is more of a subconscious thing than anything. The percentage of people that actually play PS1 games on their PS2, is probably below 3 percent.

But for some reason, people like knowing that they can, even if they never use it.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

But for some reason, people like knowing that they can, even if they never use it.
    So imagine player's feelings if the X-Box2 comes out without that compatibiblity.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

What exactly did Sony do right?

1. They released a console that was supposed to be the alpha and the omega, with it's "Emotion Engine" and all that crap, and it actually is one of the worst designed systems in History. It doesn't have enough video ram to do progressive scan games, so it took years and years before we actually started seeing any progressive scan games. While the Dreamcast, a console supposedly vastly inferior, had 95 percent of it's library progressive scan. It can't do Dolby Digital 5.1 in the game, while the XBOX has no problem with that. During the launch and the early period of the system, it was jaggies in every game. The system just wasn't designed very good plain and simple.

2. When they launched, the launch lineup was abysmal at best. SSX, Madden and Smugglers Run were the only decent games available.

3. They had horrible hardware shortages during the launch and first 6 months of availability.

4. All during the entire life of the PS2 there has been problems with the systems breaking and needing repair.

The reality is that the PS2 was a total dissaster and ended up succeding DESPITE all of Sony's terrible blunders.

Why did it succed?

1. Because it had the name Sony on it, and it had the name Playstation on it, and for whatever reason it had that cool factor because of that.

2. Because the PS1 had so thouroughly dominated the 32/64 bit wars, it had every developer and their brother making games for it. It had all the best developers in Japan and Europe and the U.S. making games for it, because it was expected to be the dominant platform.

3. Money - Sony had heaps and heaps of money that they could use to market the system and buy exclusive windows on key games. The Grand Theft Auto exclusivity, and the E.A. Sports only online on PS2 exclusivity basically ensured that the PS2 would be the dominant platform.

If you really look at it, the PS2 is the dominant platform, in spite of the bad engineering of the system, the horrible launch lineup, the hardware shortages and the terrible reliability of the hardware.
    tldr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony also had the DVD player aspect to the PS2, which was right around what a DVD player was costing those days, that didn't hurt things either.

Back on topic ... I don't think we'll see a recession because there is a new platform that comes out every five or six years that really peaks people's interest. I do think we'll notice games being marketed differently though, like the above mentioned more budget titles.
    Formerly letsallgameon

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tldr
    too long, didn't read?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you had enough time to quote it, and put "tdlr" then you had enought time to read it.

I'm guessing that you grudgingly agree with all my points, and you don't have an argument.