Thread: Japanese Turbo Duo (bare bones system) questions

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Japanese Turbo Duo (bare bones system) questions

A friend of mine has a Japanese Turbo Duo for sale, only thing is, it's totally bare bones. Just the unit itself. No power adapter, no video cables, no controller.

Now, I understand that the Japanese Turbo Duo's use different controller plug things than the U.S. ones. So I can't use a TurboGrafx controller. I've heard there are adapters out there, so you can use a regular TurboPad, but I understand these things aren't exactly cheap.

As for the Power Adapter, Is there anything I can buy at Radio Shack that would work? Or any of the power adapters for any other systems that would work? Would a USA version of the TurboDuo's power adapter work on the japanese system? If I did somehow get the actual power adapter that is supposed to go with it, would I need some type of converter to use it here in the U.S?

In regards to the video cable, I was planning on having this system modded for R.G.B., only thing is, my normal R.G.B. guy is missing in action, and I would need to find a new R.G.B. guy, and I would need to send him this TurboDuo so that he could mod it. So I would have to trust the guy. Anybody know anybody that visits this website that can do Duo R.G.B. mods and is trustworthy? I've already been scammed once trying to buy a TG-16 CD player. Ok, lets say forget the whole R.G.B. thing, let's say that I just want to use a regular video cable, do I have to use a special one for the Japanese Duo, or can I use one for an American duo? Where could I get such a video cable? Does the back of the Japanese Turbo Duo have any composite video or stereo plugs on it, like you would find on a TurboBooster? Or is it a multi av out that requires a specialized cable?

Sorry for so many freaking questions, but I've never seen a duo, american or otherwise, and I don't know crap about the power adapters, controllers, video cables, etc, etc, and with this unit being bare bones, I would need to know what I'm going to need for it, and how much it's going to cost.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

I swear i heard this question already.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.tzd.com/forsale.cgi

You can buy the AV cables and controller there, and there's instructions as to what to buy at Radio Shack for the power cord.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky
    I swear i heard this question already.

No, you are probably thinking of my Sega Master system post. I was asking what Power Adapters worked on a Sega Master system and what video cables worked on a Sega Master system.

I also did a post in regards to all the various versions of the PC Engine, and I did find some websites that have tons and tons of info on that, but they don't give any info in regards to the power adapters or the video cables or anything. They give tons of information about the system and the games, etc, etc, etc, but no info regarding power adapters or video cables or anything like that.

I'm sorry to post this question, but this opportunity to buy a bare bones system just popped up out of nowhere, and I'm trying to figure out if I should actually buy the thing or not.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by link1110
    http://www.tzd.com/forsale.cgi

You can buy the AV cables and controller there, and there's instructions as to what to buy at Radio Shack for the power cord.

They don't mention if that stuff works on a Japanese Duo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anthony:

You need to PM Max Lords. He knows this shit better than anyone (that I know). The Turbo Duo and Duo-R/X use different power supplies, and I think they all use different ones from the US versions.

There's a guy in Japan that makes homemade PC-Engine/Turbo Duo power supplies. He speaks English and will ship abroad as well. He made one for my Duo-RX. Unfortunately, that wasn't the problem.

If Max comes back that the Duo-RX one will work with the US Duo (which I don't think it will) perhaps you'd be interested in my broken unit.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Anthony1 I don't know who your regular guy is but D-Lite (neogeo.com & DP) is very reliable so send him a PM.

Coincidentally, I will be selling a DUO (japanese) complete, 8.9/10 condition, and thouroughly tested. What is your friend going to sell his loose one for? I bet it is around the same price I'm thinking...give me a PM with a fair offer. I don't need EBAY prices so let me know. - Ken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Japanese Turbo Duo (bare bones system) questions

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Now, I understand that the Japanese Turbo Duo's use different controller plug things than the U.S. ones. So I can't use a TurboGrafx controller. I've heard there are adapters out there, so you can use a regular TurboPad, but I understand these things aren't exactly cheap.
    Actually the US Turbo Duo and Jap PC-Engine Duo use the same controller. Its the US Turbo Grafx controller that is different. The controllers themselves are pretty cheap. you should be able to find one for around $10 or less. It's the Avenue 6 controllers that are expensive.

Also, TZD use to sell the adapters if you want to go that route. i think I bought mine for $6 a while back. If not, check ebay.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Biafra Riot

Ok, lets say forget the whole R.G.B. thing, let's say that I just want to use a regular video cable
    For shame Anthony, you have taught me better. Never submit to the subpar.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluteg
    Ok, lets say forget the whole R.G.B. thing, let's say that I just want to use a regular video cable
    For shame Anthony, you have taught me better. Never submit to the subpar.

Oh, don't get it twisted. There isn't a chance in hell that I won't be playing it in Cold Vanilla Marshmellows.

It's just that sometimes I like to hook it up to my 51 inch Sony or my 113 inch movie screen.