Thread: Best DS Feature (Aside from the controls)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best DS Feature (Aside from the controls)

I'm going with the built in sleep function when you close the system followed by Pictochat.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I agree with the sleep feature. And I also like the double slots... allows me to always carry 2 games directly in my DS.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet sweet Wi-Fi. I love you, multiplayer gaming. Oh! And the double slots too.
    -Craig
    So it goes.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

As much as the DS sleep function is nice, I think that the PSP one is better--you just have to push the power button up and then immediately let it down to go into sleep mode.

I like the DS's built-in Pictochat program.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PSP's sleep function is good too but it seems like a little extra work than with NDS where you just have to snap it shut which I like for the screen protection too and set it down, easy as pie. With PSP you have to hold it a little awkwardly with one hand and press the power button, wait for it to go to sleep and then you can set it down.

Well anyway DS and PSP aren’t in the same market so we shouldn’t be comparing them directly but any comments are welcome.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like pico chat, except for the fact that there is never anyone to chat with....
    You must be Dirk, Dirk the Daring

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James
    PSP's sleep function is good too but it seems like a little extra work than with NDS where you just have to snap it shut which I like for the screen protection too and set it down, easy as pie. With PSP you have to hold it a little awkwardly with one hand and press the power button, wait for it to go to sleep and then you can set it down.

Well anyway DS and PSP aren’t in the same market so we shouldn’t be comparing them directly but any comments are welcome.
    First. If holding a button for .1 microseconds is awkward you must be one lazy person.

And secondly , how are the DS and PSP not in the same market?

Btw , I really like the sleep function on both of the systems , I like how the DS is more of a portable system, I am always worried about ruining my psp's screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like the single-card mulitplayer, it is very useful since everyone doesn't need a copy of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    I agree with the sleep feature. And I also like the double slots... allows me to always carry 2 games directly in my DS.
    Yeah I too love that!
    My most fav. is probably either wireless gaming, or hopefully full wi-fi online when that becomes avail.!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by om3ga
    Nintendo has their home console, their Gameboy handheld which is competing with the other handheld gaming systems out, and Nintendo has the DS. The DS isn't really another competing handheld. They are just trying something new. It's like if they released a bike, they wouldn't really be competing with the other bicycle companies, they just felt like releasing a bicycle.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, the download ability where only one person has to have a game. That rocks. Thank you Nintendo for not being greedy bastards in that respect.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu
    Nintendo has their home console, their Gameboy handheld which is competing with the other handheld gaming systems out, and Nintendo has the DS. The DS isn't really another competing handheld. They are just trying something new. It's like if they released a bike, they wouldn't really be competing with the other bicycle companies, they just felt like releasing a bicycle.
    You've just come up with the most bizarre analogy I've ever seen to support Nintendo's absurd claim that the DS isn't a direct, kneejerk response to the PSP. Worse yet, it's a fatally flawed analogy.

When the world's #1 bicycle manufacturer releases a bicycle, it's rightly perceived as competing with other bicycle companies for market share. It doesn't just "feel like releasing a bicycle."

When Nintendo, the world's #1 handheld manufacturer, releases a handheld system, it's competing with other handheld manufacturers--read: Sony and the PSP--for market share. Nintendo didn't spend several hundred million dollars on R&D, marketing, and manufacturing because someone at the company "felt like releasing a handheld."

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    Yea, the download ability where only one person has to have a game. That rocks. Thank you Nintendo for not being greedy bastards in that respect.
    The PSP has a similar function called Game Sharing, via which one PSP can transfer games to another.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're two consoles that stand for two different things. The DSs main selling point are its features which allow for innovative, new games not found anywhere else while the PSPs claim to fame is its graphics power. Besides, if Sony REALLY wanted to compete with Nintendo, it would make sense to have a "standard" pack so they could at least claim they were competitive pricewise.

But back on topic, I kinda like the DSs clamshell design, as its quite small, but the controls still aren't cramped together.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like pictochat. it's fun to talk with friends but you're probably just better off talking with your mouth.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with single cart multi player.. though the fact that I can have a gba game in there as well is very nice.
    <a href="http://www.jeremyred.com/labels/" target="_blank">

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I like playing my GBA games on it much more than on my SP. The top screen looks much clearer and brighter for some reason.

Kristine

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    I think Nintendo would probably have done this earlier but in older technology, especially the original Game Boy transfering the right amount of Data and storing it on the other system with no cart wasn't possible due to cost, therefore an individual copy of each game was needed. The DS has between 128 and 256 MB of Flash memory for storing game data for single cart play which is quite impressive. I'm pretty sure the PSP has about the same.