Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Crazy sale could cause game values to plummet

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Crazy sale could cause game values to plummet

Ok, first off, don't panic. Not all prices are going to plummet and not all games.

But, when it comes to N64 loose carts, I expect the values to absolutely plummet in the coming weeks. The values of loose SNES and Genesis games could also take a huge beating. Same thing goes with loose Game Gear, Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. Playstation 1 values could also fall quite a bit.

Ok, here's the theory:

I'm not sure how many Game Crazy stores are Nationwide, but I think it's a couple of thousand stores or so. When you consider that these thousands of stores are blowing out all their retro games for $5 each or less, well that Tsunami that's coming is going to have a ripple effect.

You can better believe that Ebay Profiteers will get word of this sale, and they will be all over it like flies to ish. Ebay will see an absolute avalance of Harvest Moon 64's, Ogre Battle 64's, Star Craft 64's, etc, etc, etc.

Now, things might subside after a few months, but believe you me, there is going to be a fall in values for everything that is affected by this sale.

Now there are lots of things that "aren't" going to be affected by it. Like TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master System, Atari Jaguar, Neo Geo and other systems that Game Crazy doesn't carry. Complete games for all systems won't be affected very much, since most of Game Crazy's stuff is loose cart and loose CD's, and tons of rental stickers, etc, etc.

I think these items are going to be affected the most, in this order:

1. loose N64 carts - If loose N64 games had any value before this sale, they won't in a few weeks. The market is going to be absolutely flooded with loose N64 carts. Anybody that makes lots of money selling loose N64 carts on Ebay is going to need to get a real job.

2. loose common but in demand SNES games - There are alot of loose SNES games that sell pretty good on Ebay. Games like Super Metroid and Mario Kart and Contra III and Legend of Zelda and Super Mario All-Stars, etc, etc. Most of these loose carts are only valued at about $5 in the DP guide, but they sell for about double that on Ebay, some even triple that, especially after you factor in the extra profit that people squeze out of the shipping and handling charges. Well Game Crazy's around the country have tons and tons of these types of games. Usually these games cost $12.99 or $14.99 or $19.99 at Game Crazy before this sale. Some even $24.99. Well all the Ebay Profiteers had to avoid buying these games at those prices, but at $5 a pop, they will buy them up with reckless abandon.

3. loose Genny Games - Genny games don't have much value loose as it is. For some reason it seems the Genny is the red headed stepchild of loose game values. But after this sale, it could get even worse. That sound you hear is a thousand Herzog Zweis and Shining Force II's hitting Ebay simultaneously.

I can go on and on about this, but I have to go to sleep.

Anyways, discuss amongst yourselves. My children!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Won't happen

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The N64 section of every Game Crazy I've ever been to is nothing but Goldeneye anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mr. 1 your crazy, I've been to about 20 gamecrazys in PHX AZ today, and to tell you the truth there wasn't any real rare titles.

No Herzog Zweis, Ogre Battles or anything of the sort, were found.

Almost all the playstation game I found were either loose or crap.

N64 has a good selection, but I don't think it will touch the market at all really.

As for the Ebay whores I didn't see ANYTHING they could make good money on.

So they only thing this sale will affect are the collectors and the Cheep ass gamers.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm seriously doubting what you're speculating. I went to a ton of gamecrazy's today and was lucky enough to find super mario rpg and breath of fire II and those were the most expensive games I found. The rest was just stuff to help fill my collection. I've been to the gc stores so many times I knew which stores had what games and everything like FF2, FF3, CT, Lunar Box sets were either picked by the employees or gutted.

So, it mainly depends on what the employees decide to do with their games, because most of the gc's I went to today they all said they cherry picked the place before they opened. Most of the employees sounded like they were keeping their games, but you never know. As for the average ebay whore, I agree with Nez in the fact that there was honestly not a large supply of rare titles to stock up on and resell. They'd mainly be wasting their time if that was their purpose.

I don't think there will be much of a noticeable effect on the market. I really can't say what it was like when other people went, but as far as I noticed while looking through the finds, everyone got some good games, but nothing really easily resellable. They may have pulled in a few pricey rpgs or what not but I saw no one who pulled in like 3 copies of FFIII. In fact, I barely saw any square rpgs in the finds.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OH NOES!!1! TEH RE$ELLRS R GONNA FL00D EV1LBAY w/N64 CARTZ!!1!ELEVENTY_TWO!!1!!

Nope, I'm with everyone else on this one. No avalanche or "market drop" will happen.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heaven forbid I find a copy of chronotrigger (snes) for under $20..

nothings going to change.... Honda Civics are sold by the hundreds of thousands, but their resale prices wont change cuz bob down the street bought a few for cheaper than retail.

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found Ogre Battle for Playstation and Arc the Lad Collection for Playstation. The rest of my finds weren't that great.

But one can only hope that the prices of these "classic" games go down.

People are paying $30 for Final Fantasy 6 (US). Why?

Bah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Let me throw out the fact that Gamerush has been blowing out all their carts over the past six months now ... first they all dropped to 99 cents, then they were buy one get one at half price (still at 99 cents) and now they are buy two get one free (still at 99 cents).

I think your tsunami won't even be a ripple.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pollock
    I found Ogre Battle for Playstation and Arc the Lad Collection for Playstation. The rest of my finds weren't that great.

But one can only hope that the prices of these "classic" games go down.

People are paying $30 for Final Fantasy 6 (US). Why?

Bah.
    They had a US copy of Final Fantaasy VI?

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Game Crazy sale could cause game values to plummet

[quote="Anthony1- Ok, first off, don't panic. Not all prices are going to plummet and not all games.

But, when it comes to N64 loose carts, I expect the values to absolutely plummet in the coming weeks. The values of loose SNES and Genesis games could also take a huge beating. Same thing goes with loose Game Gear, Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. Playstation 1 values could also fall quite a bit.

Ok, here's the theory:

I'm not sure how many Game Crazy stores are Nationwide, but I think it's a couple of thousand stores or so. When you consider that these thousands of stores are blowing out all their retro games for $5 each or less, well that Tsunami that's coming is going to have a ripple effect.

You can better believe that Ebay Profiteers will get word of this sale, and they will be all over it like flies to ish. Ebay will see an absolute avalance of Harvest Moon 64's, Ogre Battle 64's, Star Craft 64's, etc, etc, etc.

Now, things might subside after a few months, but believe you me, there is going to be a fall in values for everything that is affected by this sale.

Now there are lots of things that "aren't" going to be affected by it. Like TurboGrafx-16, Sega Master System, Atari Jaguar, Neo Geo and other systems that Game Crazy doesn't carry. Complete games for all systems won't be affected very much, since most of Game Crazy's stuff is loose cart and loose CD's, and tons of rental stickers, etc, etc.

I think these items are going to be affected the most, in this order:

1. loose N64 carts - If loose N64 games had any value before this sale, they won't in a few weeks. The market is going to be absolutely flooded with loose N64 carts. Anybody that makes lots of money selling loose N64 carts on Ebay is going to need to get a real job.

2. loose common but in demand SNES games - There are alot of loose SNES games that sell pretty good on Ebay. Games like Super Metroid and Mario Kart and Contra III and Legend of Zelda and Super Mario All-Stars, etc, etc. Most of these loose carts are only valued at about $5 in the DP guide, but they sell for about double that on Ebay, some even triple that, especially after you factor in the extra profit that people squeze out of the shipping and handling charges. Well Game Crazy's around the country have tons and tons of these types of games. Usually these games cost $12.99 or $14.99 or $19.99 at Game Crazy before this sale. Some even $24.99. Well all the Ebay Profiteers had to avoid buying these games at those prices, but at $5 a pop, they will buy them up with reckless abandon.

3. loose Genny Games - Genny games don't have much value loose as it is. For some reason it seems the Genny is the red headed stepchild of loose game values. But after this sale, it could get even worse. That sound you hear is a thousand Herzog Zweis and Shining Force II's hitting Ebay simultaneously.

I can go on and on about this, but I have to go to sleep.

Anyways, discuss amongst yourselves. My children!

-----------------------------

Um..... I hope I can get some good games for a cheap price. Then it's all about CUC MAL...... BEEEEEAAAAMMMMM!!!!!

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In the extremely unlikely situation you describe, the only people who are losing out are eBay profiteers. I fail to see a problem here.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why wouldn't you want values to plummet? The less games cost, the less money we'll lose building our collections. Nobody is ever going make more than they've spent collecting these things.

The financial rewards of this hobby are very few and don't even begin to make up for the expenses. I'm all for plummeting prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Quote Originally Posted by squidblatt
    Why wouldn't you want values to plummet? The less games cost, the less money we'll lose building our collections. Nobody is ever going make more than they've spent collecting these things.

The financial rewards of this hobby are very few and don't even begin to make up for the expenses. I'm all for plummeting prices.
    EXACTLY. I am totally fine with plummeting values. My g/f and I spent around $80 yesterday and got 17 games. Not crappy games either, games that we'll actually play. While there's nothing ultra rare that we got, I'm fine with that. I'm just happy to add to my collection!

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, if you want to know. There are between 450 - 600 GameCrazy stores in the U.S.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Ok, first off, don't panic. Not all prices are going to plummet and not all games.
    Patrick: Should we panic?

Spongebob: No..

Patrick: should we panic now?

Spongebob: I don't know...

Patrick: Ahh ahh ahh ahh PANIC!!!!

Spongebob: *screams*!! AHH!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

who is to say that all of there retro games are on sale?
    We just see whats out on the floor. There has to be a point where these types of stores (stores that take trade ins) get flooded with crap. Sports games, commons, etc. They have to get rid of them some how. It's harded to charge more for a rare game when its surrounded by 50 common to uncommon going for a few bucks each. When ever there is a sale 3 for or similar im allways weary. Most of the time theres only a couple of games worth picking up and then you fill out the rest of the sale with anything just to buy 3 or such.
    Most of these stores are built into hollywood videos ( if not all) so a large group of shoppers will be parents with kids not so much collectors that know whats worth what. So after little jhonny picks out the game he wants mommy has him pick 2 more Just to save money?
    So my point after all the crap is gone that never would of sold anyway, they will bring out the better titles, and they will be that much more rare, now that theres not 100's of carts for that system thrown in a bin like yesterday laundry.

So will the value go down, yes on common crap that nobody was going to buy anyway.

Have they said they are no longer taking trade in for these systems?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if GameCrazy has thousands of stores with thousands of games, the games that are the most highly sought after usually aren't found in these types of stores.

I have never walked into a GameStop, EB or GameCrazy and seen more than one copy of any rare SNES, NES or Genesis game. They'll have, at most, one copy of some things. To have a "flood" of eBay profiteers, you need to actually have places that have been sitting on 20 copies of Chrono Trigger and 30 copies of Ogre Battle and 10 copies of Harvest Moon 64. Those stores don't exist because the games were in high demand before, and they still will be now.

Now, if there is a total of 10 of each of these games that gets added to the eBay pool, prices may drop for a week or two... but at this time, they are lower than the pre-Christmas rush anyway.

I don't think it is even somethng to think about.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My dear children!

Well, at most it's just an even better reason why you should be patient buying N64 games!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one decides for me what i'm willing to pay on games. I set a decent price and if no one sells then I'll find it for cheaper at a garage sale, no big deal. If games get cheaper, then I can buy more ZOMG! I guess I'll just have to live with that.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka