Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Gen Had The Worst Fanboyism

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which Gen Had The Worst Fanboyism

Which Gen had the highest rate of fanboyism.
    For example... I the 16-bit gen I remember (in my school) there were schoolyard fights between kid who like Nintendo and kids who liked Sega.
    Anyway I was remembering this and I was wondering what
    was the opinion of the Digital Press boards.
    Hello this is my sig

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely the current get (not sure if that's 128-bit).

I don't remember too much of it back in the day (8 or 16-bit), and now with the internet & message boards it's a thousand times worse than it ever could have been back then.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see what jaybird's saying, and I agree to a point, but I remember it being really bad back when the SNES/Genesis were the big two. Then again, I was about 11 years old at the time, so that might have something to do with it.

I remember kids getting into fights over this sort of thing too. I also remember reading magazine articles that would have one kid saying how much he loved the Genesis, for example, and that he would never buy an SNES, etc. I never really understood the whole "fanboy" thing to begin with; I actually had a SNES and a Turbo Duo at the time and loved them both. I remember taking so much flack for having a Duo at the time when it was first released; it was practically unheard of. All I knew though was that Ys was the greatest thing I had ever seen, heard, or played.

I voted 16-bit, but simply because that's what I grew up with and remembered most. Although I do remember it getting pretty bad between the PSX and the N64, and, to a lesser extent, the Saturn. I was actually just reading an old Gamefan article the other day about how this kid was so in love with the N64 and how much of a Nintendo fanboy he was, and how the N64 would destroy the PSX, etc. At least he admitted his fanboyism, I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this generation.

Example: I have a friend that will play NOTHING BUT PS2 it drives me freakin crazy he is sooo closed minded when it comes to ANY other systems even upcoming systems about the only the hes interested in is the PS3 of course.

The only exception is Shenmue on Dreamcast he played through that game like 3 times and even bought his own copy looked for like 3 months for one when I loned him my DC but THAT IS IT.

I showed him RE4 on GC when it was first released he was very impressed but says "it should have been on PS2 it would have looked just as good"

its sooo f$ckin Frustrating

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I never knew what a fanboy was until I got a computer. Back in the 16 bit era, I never seen or heard of anyone fighting or arguing over videogame systems. At least not in my hood. We had more important things to argue about.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also say 128-bit, because everytime I watch these shows on G4 or post at their boards, I hear all the BS talk about Halo & the Madden series games and crap like that. Do you see me being a "fanboy"? No, because I'm never a fanboy unlike them. The word "fanboy" is overused & over-rated.

19 years, 450+ played games, 391 beaten games & 320+ billion points scored

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

128-bit, ugh that is the worst group between the three...

Screw those kids! They never knew AND never WILL know what "gameplay" is, if it bite them on the ass!...*hugs my Genesis*

Well Trevor is correct, Genesis and SNES bashing days were horrible, yet nothing as bad as the Xbox/GameCube/PS2 days of today

as for Saturn Vs. PSX Vs. N64 days (32-bit) When I was growing up, nobody hardly knew what a SATURN was
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What the hell do those generations mean?

I would say 16 bit, but I don't remember anyone getting up in arms about the Intellivision. I would say 128 bit, but the Xbox fans fit right in with those, and they're in the 32 bit classification.

I guess I'm going to go with 64-bit. The competition between the Jaguar fans and the N64 fans got super heated, I'm sure.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Todays generation. Never before have I ever witnessed so much bashing of nintendo, or hatred for xbox, it truly is the era of the fanboys.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    I showed him RE4 on GC when it was first released he was very impressed but says "it should have been on PS2 it would have looked just as good"

its sooo f$ckin Frustrating
    I was going to direct you to this thread, but then I noticed that you had started the thread!

So I guess you'll have a chance to spoon-feed your friend his words when Capcom gets done whining and finishes the port.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 64bit era without a doubt. There were LOTS of N64 vs. PSx wars online. Its nothign today like it was back then. Not even slightly close.

I remember Antagonist facilitating those wars, it was so much fun back them.

Now for annoying market analysis and petty crap I'd say this generation. The all out war was fun, this "such and such a company is going to wither because of thier choice of release date" is boring, I'd rather watch Lawrence Welk with my grandma.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't think this poll is really going to give a good representation of which generation had more "fanboyism" than another. The reason why is that we didn't know opinions of others beyond our home/schools/town. If there was debate, it was generally local, like someone mentioning the schoolyard skirmishes. You really didn't know anyone beyond your town except maybe a handful of friends or relation. Unless you signed onto a BBS (which even then the distribution was pretty limited), you really couldn't voice your opinion beyond your circle of friends or whomever you spoke to on the phone. Thanks to the web (which has gotten affordable for practically everyone and is available almost everywhere in some form) and the recent popularity of message boards (what, last 5 years?) now anyone who has an opinion can share it without fear thanks to the benefit of anonymity.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy 7, need I say more?

32-bit.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

16-bit, most definately. The whole Nintendorks vs. Genesissies name calling debate.... Back in the era when people's parents would only buy them one system. You had to be in one camp or the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm...I can't imagine it's ever been worse than it is now. Give two kids a different video game system, and then lock them in a room in a few months' time = BLOODSHED.

It's not a matter of the debates becoming more passionate than they were were, it's just that you've got the internet to stir up trouble with rumors and let anybody from any camp stumble into enemy territory :P

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to work at a gamestore and I got SOOOOOO sick of hearing.. "XBOX ROX!!! OMG!!! HALO IS THE ONLY GAME EVA!!!! ASLKDFJQLWEKRJQWLDKFAJSLDKF!!!!!"

Ps2 fanboys were more fanboys of the games on ps2.. not the entire system.

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

The current generation of games have the worst fan boys. They can easily voice their opinions with the internet. They are invading our lives: websites, boards, chat rooms, etc etc

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In my opinion it's the 16 bit era, a little closer to home since I had a SNES and a Turbo Grafx while my best friend across the street had a Genesis. We used to argue for hours (all while playing at each others homes). Mortal Kombat on the Genny, Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Not to mention the exclusives to each. Mario, Sonic, Super Punch Out, Strider....Basicallly, the good ol days

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Today's generation. More coverage in the media and th einternet on games and on TV (G4, IGN, etc) then back during the 16-bit wars, also I'd think more at stake for companies that produce these systems then back then as well.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by felix
    I used to work at a gamestore and I got SOOOOOO sick of hearing.. "XBOX ROX!!! OMG!!! HALO IS THE ONLY GAME EVA!!!! ASLKDFJQLWEKRJQWLDKFAJSLDKF!!!!!"
    Now that you don't work there (and so would just be a customer), you should know that the only proper response to that is "Yeah, Xbox is cool, but Halo is weak shit compared to Steel Battalion."

You could then sympathize with their being too poor to buy and play such an awesome game.

So what if you don't have Steel Battalion? Or even an Xbox? Big deal. Nobody else in the store is going to have SB, so you can make up any shit you want and out-fanboy the fanboys.

Nintendo rules, BTW. I <3 my GBA SP.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY