Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Default Actors weigh strike over video game voices

From Boston.com:

LOS ANGELES -- A button worn by picketing actors at last week's E3 video games trade show suggested they might pull the plug if they don't get a bigger share of the industry's huge profits. It read "Game Over."

ADVERTISEMENT

About 2,000 union actors give voice to characters such as Obi Wan Kenobi in the latest "Star Wars" game. One actor can provide the voice of several characters during a single recording session.

Talks between game publishers and the two main actors' unions broke earlier this month. Actors will decide over the next two weeks if the impasse is critical enough to call a strike.

Voice actors have worked under a contract with game publishers since 1993. But now that video games generate nearly as much revenue as domestic movie ticket sales, actors say they want a piece of every game sold rather than one-time up front fees.

"To deny working-class performers their fair share of the tremendous profits their labor helps to generate is illogical, unreasonable and unjust," John Connolly, president of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists said recently. "It is simply shortsighted to believe that consumers don't care about the artistic quality of the characters."

That's a risk game companies seem willing to take, especially in light of divisions among actors, some of whom feel a strike would lead to the complete loss of union protection on video game jobs.

"The union's demand for an equity stake, or residual structure, is unreasonable and not fair to the hundreds of people who often spend years developing a game," Howard Fabrick, an attorney representing publishers in the talks, said in a statement. "Voiceover work represents a small fraction of a video game's development and consumer enjoyment."

No more than 15 percent of all games are produced under union contract, the unions say. But that includes nine of the 10 top-sellers last year.

In some cases, celebrity voices and likeness are key to selling a game. Electronic Arts Inc. recently signed a deal with actors James Caan and Robert Duvall to reprise their roles in the game version of the Oscar-winning film "The Godfather."

But in most cases, anonymous actors lend their voices to game characters. And while professional voices lend reality to games, analysts say the voices are not the key to a game's ultimate success.

"They have no leverage," Yankee Group analyst Mike Goodman said of the voice actors.

"In 99 percent of all games, the voice actors are irrelevant," Goodman said. "You replace one voice actor with another nonunion actor and no one will know the difference."

The two actors' unions have sent ballots to their members working in video games asking for a strike authorization. The results are due in two weeks. If actors fail to support a strike by a significant margin, union officials will consider accepting the latest proposal from publishers or restarting talks.

Actors say the residual model is standard practice for TV shows and commercials as well as home video sales. They also say they have been flexible in talks, backing off an earlier demand for straight residuals and instead proposing that producers pay actors an additional session fee after the game sells 400,000 copies.

Fees would also be paid for every 100,000 copies sold after that.

Producers have countered with an offer of a 34.8 percent wage hike over three years, bringing the one-hour rate for union actors to $375 from $278.

Publishers have also proposed raising overtime payments, limiting the number of voices that actors would be required to perform and agreeing to pay extra when a publisher uses a voice recording in another game.

Heres the link: http://www.boston.com/business/artic...o_game_voices/

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People play milled out movie based gamess? Well I'll be.....
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    People play milled out movie based gamess? Well I'll be.....
    If you can believe it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Oh know, rich people bitching because they arent getting more money. Oh the humanity, screw them. I'll do the voiceovers if they won't.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Oh know, rich people bitching because they arent getting more money. Oh the humanity, screw them. I'll do the voiceovers if they won't.
    Most unionized voice actors are hardly "rich." The hourly fees are high, but the sessions themselves are usually quite short.

And as the article pointed out, nine out of last year's ten best-sellers used union VAs. Tie-ins are vital to the game biz.

Basically, this is yet another increased game-production cost that publishers and developers will pass along to consumers via $60-70 MSRPs.

-- Z.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were the game industry, I would simply say that we will from now on be using non-unionized voice actors. Most of the voice acting in games is not exactly top notch, and substituting a programmer's voice for an actor's voice wouldn't make much of a difference.

If you're working on a licensed game, that's different... but that isn't the type of actors we're talking about anyway.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a bunch of jibberish to me. I hate voice acting. It does stink for the unknown voice actors who arent filthy rich movie stars, but who do you think started this whole proposed strike? Probably the rich guys...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    If I were the game industry, I would simply say that we will from now on be using non-unionized voice actors. Most of the voice acting in games is not exactly top notch, and substituting a programmer's voice for an actor's voice wouldn't make much of a difference.

If you're working on a licensed game, that's different... but that isn't the type of actors we're talking about anyway.
    Voice acting is better than ever, I'd argue, in large part because professionals are now involved. Point me to a recent American-developed game that had outright shitty VA.

Using a programmer or a tester instead of a real actor makes a HUGE, HUGE difference. Did you ever play Shining Force III for the Saturn? The amateur "acting" was abysmal, and ruined the game.

Videogames have long since reached the point where amateur VA is no longer acceptable. You have to come up with a workaround (Simlish), or drop VA entirely (SMT: Nocturne), or use pros.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So do people like programmers get bonuses if a game sells over x units?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Given my (granted, layman's) familiarity with animation and voice-acting, I have no doubts that AFTRA (the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) and SAG (the Screen Actors Guild) are looking out for their members. Seriously-even voice acting "superstars" like Frank Welker, June Foray, and Michael Bell aren't filthy rich by Hollywood standards.

Most voice actors are day-to-day laborers who tax their vocal chords heavily, especially if they're doing multiple 4-hour recording sessions each day (which is usually the case for a steadily-employed VA). Expecting a performer to take a woefully small one-time payment on a game that may well rake in millions just ain't right, especially if the voice actor in question recorded in excess of 3 voices for the game, with at least one painful "voice breaker" (a character that is literally painful for the actor to play for extended periods of time because it's a strain on their vocal chords) in the mix.

The video game industry shouldn't even be trying to force this issue. Sign a contract, guys. And make sure that the voice-over artists are well-paid, because some of us do know the difference.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Voice acting is better than ever, I'd argue, in large part because professionals are now involved. Point me to a recent American-developed game that had outright shitty VA.

Using a programmer or a tester instead of a real actor makes a HUGE, HUGE difference. Did you ever play Shining Force III for the Saturn? The amateur "acting" was abysmal, and ruined the game.

Videogames have long since reached the point where amateur VA is no longer acceptable. You have to come up with a workaround (Simlish), or drop VA entirely (SMT: Nocturne), or use pros.
    I do think that voice acting is better than ever, but I also think that it just goes along with everything else that got better through time. I don't necessarily think that using more amatuer people would hurt most games.

Then again, I should really sit down and play through the games I have before stating anything else and thinking about it. When I was just trying to come up with an example in my head of games from today that rely almost nothing on voice acting, I couldn't come up with much of anything...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree.

I make Condensor Coils that go inside of your Air Conditioners, and I feel that since it causes undo strain on my wrist and elbow, plus the near gauranteed acquirement of Carpal Tunnel, I feel that I should receive a percentage from the huge profits that manufacturing industry is pulling in each year.

Bitch please.

I'm not saying that voice actors aren't being screwed, because personally, I'm sure it greatly depends on the publisher on what a VA gets as income. Still, wanting a percentage is ridiculous. Especially considering I don't purchase a video game based on who is doing the voice acting. Even if I did, you still shouldn't recieve a percentage. The Voice Actor is providing a service to the employer. Shoot, the guy that puts each disc in the jewel case should get a percentage, becasue at least he is involved with each game that's sold.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Madden series, but thats for other reasons. More because he's extremly annoying than a bad voice actor.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So do people like programmers get bonuses if a game sells over x units?
    Ha! Yeah, games aren't movies quite yet. Programming matters more than having decent actors in the credits. They're just icing on the cake.

"The union's demand for an equity stake, or residual structure, is unreasonable and not fair to the hundreds of people who often spend years developing a game," Howard Fabrick, an attorney representing publishers in the talks, said in a statement. "Voiceover work represents a small fraction of a video game's development and consumer enjoyment."
    No kidding. Just look at Resident Evil.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to side for the VAs. In the extended story RPGs that I tend to play - a good VA can make/break the game.

Extremely well (ie, professional VA) done RPGs add the inclusive element of voice to the overall experience. I probably would have loved FFX, X-2, and Disgaea even if they weren't VAed, but some of my top memories from those games do include the voices of the characters - they are an integral part of the game and experience.

On the same hand, poorly done VA can make even a good game seem horribly horribly wrong - especially if there's no option to kill the voices... I think House of the Dead 2 for the DC... I laughed the first time... now, I just wince and hardly ever play the game because I don't like to listen to horrible VA.

US VA aren't like their Japanese counterparts - most of them are not rich/famous and have little hope of ever being such. As an anime fan, I personally think that VA (in all modes) should receive more recognition - these aren't random people pulled off the street who just talk into a microphone. Many of them have taken years of vocal training and theatre performances to perfect their art.

I guess the ultimate question is this - will games sell less if VA on the whole becomes less quality-driven? Some games, it probably doesn't matter - VA is just a side not. But for other games (particularly character driven), VA is an integral part of the game. I think if game companies want to produce AAA quality titles, then they might have bend to get the professional talent of VA - just as they have to get the professional talent of programmers, producers, etc.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I dunno. Seems to me that pro VA might get you a certain increase in sales (say y%, the number doesn't matter for my line of thinking). If they have to pay z% (a really, really tiny number I'd assume) towards the VA people, at some point that will exceed the $x that they'd pay as a flat rate today. Right? And if so, unless I'm mistaken, that means their overall profit goes down. So if you just use an amateur or whatever, you might have fewer sales overall, but make more profit because of your flat rate. Make sense?

I sorta wonder if something like this would also just force publishers away from creating the types of games that required VA.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This issue makes me wonder: When EA puts out a game and hypes the eXXXtrEEmE sountrack WITH TUNES FROM!!1! Offspring and Linkin Park and Smegma Hose, do those bands get paid a flat fee, a percentage, or both?

Just curious.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I'm playing a Japaneese game I would MUCH rather have the original JP Voiceacting. Hell in Japan they have schools just for voiceacting. I can't count the number of games that used english dubs where the games were pretty much ruined.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You STEAL men's SOULS and make them your SLAAAVES!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets!