View Poll Results: Do you think the value of you NES carts will go down no that the Revolution can download vintage gam

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

33 29.73%
  • no

78 70.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll:Will the Revolution hurt the value of NES games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Poll:Will the Revolution hurt the value of NES games

Does anyone here think that the revolution's abillity to download vintage games will hurt the value of actually vintage NES carts? You know less demand and all that.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For about a week after this announcement I was seriously contemplating selling my NES/SNES/N64 system and games. But I came to the conclusion (with the help of my girlfriend) not to. Why? Because there's nothing quite like the original. So I imagine all the Nintendo titles will still be wanted in their original state. Second, most of Nintendo's games are dirt common anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there has always been the possibility to download ROMs and an emulator for your computer, and it didn't really change the value of the original games. So I guess the Revolution won't change that either.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well first we need to think about the world outside of DP land. Not everyone who buys old Nintendo stuff is a collector. I won't be selling any of my Nintendo stuff but I know many will and that will effect the price of common but sought after titles.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that they will go UP in value. I personally dont buy classic games to play them (even though I do). I buy them as collectables. I have 100s of roms on my computer, but it doesnt mean that im going to sell every nes game I own.

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

It realy depends on the factors involved. At this time, Nintendo has only spoke of their own titles being released for d/l. This could have some effect on the prices, but not a great amount. Now if other companies should decided to do so, that could prove different. From what I hear, capcom has given some thought of making their catalog of games available for d/l as a special feature for beating new games. If many other companies should make them available, then I believe it could prove to have a drastic effect on it.

On the other hand, it could have little to no effect in any main retail chain aspect. When one consideres that Gamestop, Gamecrazy, and EB games have all decided to not carry non curent games, it leaves gamerush as being the only national chain left. Once that happens, it becomes little more then a thrift store/ebay market. In that, I have no clue as to what effects it could have as both markets flux due to consumer demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Poll:Will the Revolution hurt the value of NES games

Do you think the value of you NES carts will go down no that the Revolution can download vintage games
    Well i really hope so. Cheaper games can only be a good thing for the collector. Cheaper games means more games to buy and play from the same amount of money. How can that be bad?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't collect NES games, but I'm sure any effect on NES games would be felt to some degree on SNES and N64 games.

I'm not worried, though. I'd only be concerned if every future Nintendo console featured this back catalog feature. That would be a worry. And, of course, if Nintendo fails to offer third-party efforts, then its a completely different ball game.

Still, as someone already said, there is nothing like owning the real thing. And any reduction in prices overall wouldn't last and would be more of benefit than not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Damn, double post (below) my apologies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Naaa, if emulation didn't do it the Revolution won't either, as robotriot said.

Quote Originally Posted by poopnes
    Second, most of Nintendo's games are dirt common anyway.
    Indeed, if they stick to first party stuff especially. Interesting though, if Nintendo is making the cost for the games FREE then that means the romdumps have a monetary value of ZERO since the copyright holder is assigning them as valueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    It realy depends on the factors involved. At this time, Nintendo has only spoke of their own titles being released for d/l. This could have some effect on the prices, but not a great amount.
    Yeah it would be like OMG, all my SMB / Duck Hunt carts have dropped from 20 cents to 10!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    On the other hand, it could have little to no effect in any main retail chain aspect. When one consideres that Gamestop, Gamecrazy, and EB games have all decided to not carry non curent games, it leaves gamerush as being the only national chain left.
    You have two of your stores crossed, Gamecrazy isn't dropping out any time soon and EB Games is dead.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Quote Originally Posted by poopnes
    Second, most of Nintendo's games are dirt common anyway.
    Indeed, if they stick to first party stuff especially. Interesting though, if Nintendo is making the cost for the games FREE then that means the romdumps have a monetary value of ZERO since the copyright holder is assigning them as valueless.
    And right now I'm guessing that 80 to 90% of the items for "download" will be first party. I could be wrong (and hope I am), but we haven't heard alot about how the 3rd parties feel about this. Overall, I don't really care what it does for the "value". To me that's not what its about anyway. My 25 cent SMD/DH is just as valuable as my Final Fantasy. My collection just wouldn't be complete without either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think it wil ower the value of some games

sure roms are available - but not every one uses them - some feel games have to be played on consoles

- it may increase the price in the beginging - but after the thrill of playing old games dies down there will only be the colector left and since non collectors will be able to DL the games on the revolution then i think the demand will drop thus lowering the prices

hopefully this wont mean that stores like game crazy will stop carying them

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully the prices will go down, it'll just make it easier for people like me who want the actual carts
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I think common stuff will suffer but the rare stuff won't really. Collectors will remain collectors and go after the real thing. Gamers will go after whatever is cheaper, which would (I assume) lower the demand for the more common classic titles.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it will make any difference. Look at the Neo Geo market, did any Neo Geo game ever went down after the release from a home version. Ok you can doubt about the quality of the conversions, but Twikle Star Sprites on DC was a lot better then the original and even started as budget game still the original catches high prices.

I think this also counts for other releases. It just offer the experience the original game does (and no even PS2-conversions of Neo Geo game won't be the same, even with the Neo Geo Stick for PS).

So I'm not afraid of it. BTW didn't the Dreamcast had such a service in Japa which let you play Megadrive and PC-Engine games?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Well first we need to think about the world outside of DP land.
    Of course we should also think about the fact that this entire scenario is still based on a healthy dose of rumor and speculation at this point.

I agree with thinking about people outside of DP, though I think I'm coming at it from a different angle than you. I think people around here are greatly overestimating how importaint the ability to play old NES games is going to be to, well, most of the world not posting here. I think it would be a novelty at best for most "average" gamers.

I know there's still non-retrogamers buying NES games, but in my expirence it's because they either have small kids or can't afford something newer. So for them, I doubt this is going to have any effect on prices.

Even assuming the "every first party game evar for free, OMGWTFBBQ!!!/!?!?!11!!" story is true (which is highly unlikely,) I still say not really because collectors are collectors and I'd say that's what a vast majority of the people buying NES carts are. If the current ability to download ROMs hasn't hurt the market, I don't think the officially sanctioned ability to do so is going to change their minds either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Here are the two possible scenarios I could think of.

* Some people who have NES carts now will sell them, replacing their real carts with downloaded ones for their Revolution.

* Some people will get interested in collecting NES carts after playing them on the Revolution.

We already have (for all intents and purposes) perfect NES emulation. My PSX/PS2, Dreamcast, GP32, GBA, Xbox, Gamecube, PC ... hell, even my Palm Pilot plays NES games. Emulation is not the complication, fringe hobby it once was. Download an NES emulator and an NES ROM and off you go -- no more messy or complicated setups required. You don't need to search back alleys or deal with pirates to get the stuff; Google has everything you need to get you going.

It's hard to put my logic into words, but what I was kind of thinking was this.

People who are already playing NES games through emulators will not affect the market.

People who have NES carts could already be playing games via emulators, so the Revolution will not affect them.

I would guess there would be a small percentage of people who will sell their NES carts when the Revolution comes out, which will probably be cancelled out by people who get excited about the NES when the Revolution comes out and will be looking to buy carts.

In other words, I don't think the sky is falling. If free emulation and Famiclones over the past decade hasn't affected the value of NES carts too greatly, I doubt the Revolution will either.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes it will hurt the value of the games in a few diferent ways

As a major selling point of the revolution, it will bring the classic games into the spotlight. Computer emulation doesn't have the same impact that this will, because it is very much underground and the average joe has no clue were to start looking for the games. hence going to ebay and buying the games.

To be honest for me i do not collect because i think of the value. i collect because i enjoy the games pure and simple
    12 US SMS games to go
    74 US DC games to go

Now Playing:
    Guild Wars:
    (W/Me Furby Slayer)
    (Mo/R Goat Herder Teo)
    Riviera: the promised land

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, if emulation hasn't hurt the values of nes to an extreme point, then the revolution's service, which I believe you have to pay for, shouldn't either.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that the games will still be playable after the lifespan of the Revolution is over. It's still a possibility that you'll have to be logged into their online service to play the games.

I sure as hell wouldn't be selling off ANYTHING based on this announcement.