Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great feeling as a gamer/why do people do this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Great feeling as a gamer/why do people do this?

You know that one pesky game you've been after for say YEARS?

Finally getting it. And best of all, getting it when you LEAST expected to!

I mean, I dunno about the rest of you but I keep *very* tight-lipped on my wants... especially those rare or hard to find or little known games... I mean, why spread the word and possibly increase your competition? I never understood why people would post "WTB _____ " and then list a rare or hard to find game that you KNOW no one has or would sell. Just keep your mouth shut and your eyes open, I always say.

And it always irked me when someone would ask constantly about a HTF game that I was after, thus potentially driving up the competition for me to get that game.

When you finally can cross that game off your wanted list, and not worry about people posting about it... OH MAN I don't know if there's a feeling that matches that. It just feels great to know that you're FOREVER out of the running/hunt and that you can kick back and chill and let everyone else fight for a copy... knowing you're set for the winter, so to speak.

Even better -- getting a SET of HTF games you've been after for years all in one swipe/week/month... THAT ROCKS.

Anywho, I just wanted to get opinions and such (or stories, whatever) on this subject.

Seriously -- I don't get people who make WTB topics about games they OUGHTA know no one has or will sell.... why rake up your competition by spreading knowledge, particularly on those little known games? People see a title that interests them, does a little research and boom you could have 15 new competitors to deal with on eBay possibly. I don't mean to sound "selfish" but why spread word about a game you're looking for that isn't WELL known UNTIL AFTER you successfully acquired said game -- know what I mean?

i.e. "WTB: Complete set of TG-16 Magazines." What? I didn't even know there was such a thing.... and neither did a lot of other people who viewed that topic... just something to think about.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

?

Not sure where to start on that one. 90% of the people on these boards knows whats rare, and if I had the money and kept asking for a video life, I WOULD eventually get it.
    However, I can honestly say, that there is a 0% chance of me finding one anywhere else in the world outside of ebay or WTB posts. Not much of a chance of finding one on ebay either.

So.
    #1 - If you don't say what your wants are, you're not going to get them unless it's by pure luck or chance

#2 - Sylentwulf's want list on the dp board is not going to drive prices up worldwide on Gorf for the atari 5200

#3 - How on EARTH can you KNOW that someone isn't going to have that game you're asking for? between 5-10 collectors on these boards, I'd bet we have every videogame ever made, period.

#4 - You can easily look up what the most rare games are in the online rarity guide, me posting 300 posts about malagai is NOT going to increase it's rarity, even if I spent hours going to every board I could find online and posting about it.

#5 - WTB TG-16 mags. Most people would not collect these, and would be glad to trade them to someone who would actually WANT them in return for something on their want list. I have a ton of stuff that I think is virtually worthless, but I'm sure people would trade a TON for if I just got around to listing it. I even know of some stuff that Joe needs that I have (ie brochures, etc) that really aren't worth much trade wise.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually understand where Steven is coming from, but I don't think that it actually works that way. It's a good idea to keep quiet about an auction or actual item you're interested in, but not about those things that haven't actually appeared yet. Just hoping you stumble onto something within the relatively small radius of your personal reach actually increases the odds for whatever competition you might have. Publicly announcing what you want creates a network that broadens your reach potentially across nations.

If the item in question is so heavily desired that the mere prospect of acquiring it causes the adrenilin to flow and gives shakes to the collector, then I can see how publicly announcing that desire can create anxiety stemming from an imagined crowd of competitors having suddenly been created by an increased awareness of the object. However, these crowds are just bugbears exisitng within the mind of the collector as objects onto which his own competitive anxiety is projected. We do compete with each other to some extent, but those droves of sneaks silently noting down our personal objects of desire in order to steal them from us aren't out there.

However, the scenario would make a good level for Psychonauts 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    ?

Not sure where to start on that one. 90% of the people on these boards knows whats rare, and if I had the money and kept asking for a video life, I WOULD eventually get it.
    However, I can honestly say, that there is a 0% chance of me finding one anywhere else in the world outside of ebay or WTB posts. Not much of a chance of finding one on ebay either.

So.
    #1 - If you don't say what your wants are, you're not going to get them unless it's by pure luck or chance

#2 - Sylentwulf's want list on the dp board is not going to drive prices up worldwide on Gorf for the atari 5200

#3 - How on EARTH can you KNOW that someone isn't going to have that game you're asking for? between 5-10 collectors on these boards, I'd bet we have every videogame ever made, period.

#4 - You can easily look up what the most rare games are in the online rarity guide, me posting 300 posts about malagai is NOT going to increase it's rarity, even if I spent hours going to every board I could find online and posting about it.

#5 - WTB TG-16 mags. Most people would not collect these, and would be glad to trade them to someone who would actually WANT them in return for something on their want list. I have a ton of stuff that I think is virtually worthless, but I'm sure people would trade a TON for if I just got around to listing it. I even know of some stuff that Joe needs that I have (ie brochures, etc) that really aren't worth much trade wise.
    Wow for once I agree with sylent, Theres no real point in keeping you want to your self. (Other then to seem unselfish) How else are you going to find it? Shure if its a common youll find it pretty easy at you local store. BUt when it comes to the most sout after pieces I'd say DP is the place. Its easyer to find it on this site, and is usually much cheaper then ebay.

Just dont worry so much about it.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default wants

Hmm

I think posting a WTB has more of a positive effect because it may influence someone to sell something they may otherwise hold on to. Sure it may also influence them to charge a little more for it but at least it then becomes available.

Sometimes you don't care how much something is going to cost just that someone has one to sell. I'm sure if things didn't cost so much it would get crazy because a few people would end up with everything

VJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    ?

Thanks for making me laugh this early in the morning

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by squidblatt
    I actually understand where Steven is coming from, but I don't think that it actually works that way. It's a good idea to keep quiet about an auction or actual item you're interested in, but not about those things that haven't actually appeared yet.
    Yes, this I would agree with completely, linking an ebay auction for video life and saying "Look! I need this game and they spelled it wrong so I bet I'll get a great price!" Isn't the best of idea's.
    Also goes for posting "Look I just did the BIN on this video life for $5!!!!!" before they even ship the game, also not a bright idea
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I've had some of my greatest successes from publicly listing things that I want. I'm of the opposite philosophy as you, Steven. In my opinion you HAVE TO work at it to fill in those gaps. If you sit back and wait for it to turn up somewhere you're letting more of what you want slip through the cracks than you think.

Here's an example. Say you need/want Kao the Kangaroo for Dreamcast. You decide not to publicize this. Meanwhile two guys on the forum have it in their trade box not knowing anyone wants it, someone at some event or message board eventually picks it up (I think of my trade box - lots of great stuff just waiting for a home and I'm too lazy to use eBay for all of it). It's easier to watch what buyers want and sell it privately than dealing with the administrative (and cost-based) eBay process. A third guy has it and puts it on eBay. You have a SHOT at that one, but you could have guaranteed your copy had you voiced your desire to own it.

If you're just looking for something super-cheap, like nobody else is ever going to get it at the price you want it for, then playing the silent game could eventually work. Someone who knows nothing about the value of their stuff might put a low BIN on eBay, you win. But post a "WTB" with a fair price and I guarantee good results. Even for rare stuff, again, if your offering price is a fair one.

Another thing to consider: that guy that annoys you because he's posting "WTB" and raising awareness of that game that YOU want? He's the one that's going to get it if it's available. And that guy is on just about every message board, usenet group, and public event WORKING to get his stuff filled in. Again, more chances that pass you by.

My two zenny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's cool guys. But lemme clarify myself.

I'm not talking about games like Panzer Saga. Oh no.

I'm talking about super obscure HARD TO FIND games like Saturn "Welcome House," Saturn "Ninpen Manmaru" etc.

What are the odds a WTB post for these obscure imports will get me anything other than possibly new competitors?

Common games, or well-known games (i.e. Panzer Saga) I don't mind making WTB posts for those, but I'm mainly referring to those oddball games you've been after for 2 years that you know not a lot of people have even ever heard of.

I have kept tight-lipped on THOSE games, and eventually manage to score them off eBay when they finally popped up.

Keriotosse! is a perfect example. So many people are after this game now, after they read that it's a Poy Poy clone. If I wrote a WTB: Keriotosse post where I say "Hi I'm looking for this obscure Poy Poy clone for the Saturn" I would only be harming my chances, IMHO.

So basically I'm referring to obscure JP games not a lot of people know about.

Sorry I didn't clarify that earlier.

Kao the Kangeroo, I'd GLADLY make WTB posts about that, but an obscure JP game I know where eBay is my best shot, I'll keep my mouth shut about it.

Oh and how funny but.... DigitalPress, I'll have your obscure JP Saturn games out later today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven

I'm talking about super obscure HARD TO FIND games like Saturn "Welcome House," Saturn "Ninpen Manmaru" etc.

What are the odds a WTB post for these obscure imports will get me anything other than possibly new competitors?
    Chances are if someone is interested in imports they already know what is rare, and if they weren't aware chances are they don't really care.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If price is not a big concern, then expressing your want is probably going to help more than hurt. However, I know how it is with obscure imports. With some of them, I wouldn't make a WTB post just because I know it would be pointless, not because I'm worried of competition. Some imports are obscure for a reason - most people just don't care about them, so the few people who do already learned about them through research, not from a WTB post.

I'm broke, though, so I always go for bargains, and I keep quiet about a lot of things I'm interested in, regardless of rarity. A few months ago I was trying to get Raystorm for under $10 on eBay for a couple months, and while I knew it was possible (without the aid of a low BIN), I still had to wait for a moment in which there wasn't much competition. It's an R7, but still cheap and fairly easy to get. I didn't want to talk about it and have people go "Hey, that game has always interested me. I think I'll go buy it on eBay".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile

Chances are if someone is interested in imports they already know what is rare, and if they weren't aware chances are they don't really care.

exactly....like most ppl on here, we know more or less what the big ticket amazingly rare US games are

but, japanese games are another story...i dont collect imports, know virtually nothing about them....and dont really care

you could post 200 WTB posts about the 200 rarest japanese games, but if the topic name of the post is WTB - Ninpen Manmaru im not even gonna read the post, let alone waste my time looking for an import game that i could care less about

so, i think posting WTBs for obscure japanese games is your best bet at getting them, and it probably wont hurt your chances

you could put 2 $1 japanese games in front of me with 1 $100 japanese game, and tell me to pick which one i want....id probably just pick the nicest looking one....cuz i know nothing about them

so, i say post all the WTBs you want
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What does HTF stand for acctualy? Seen it on Ebay sometimes.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Hard to find.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah ok hehe, tnx

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I knew that's what you were talking about. My reply above refers to these and ANY other "WTB" posts.

Hope my view from "the other side" sheds some light on a different angle to collecting for you.

PS if you're into Japanese games, you might want to make some friends from Japan. Again, if they don't know what you want, you're missing all kinds of opportunities.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I gotta agree with Mr Moderator over there..... Its better just to let people know your looking. I passed by an action 52, ignored it. I've seen or gotten ahold of semi-rare JP games. And know where to get games like Yu Yu hakusho for Megadrive. Not likely I'll buy one, but I can point you in the right direction.

As for ebay, I wouldn't link to something I was bidding on. I'd keep it quiet like.. =) Auctions are a different animal all together.

I do suppose any form of media on a particular game could raise a minor hype within the community upon a already rare product.

I had to wait for the whole rez buzz to go down to get my copy.

-Tritium
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to agree with Digitalpress on this. I see the DP users here, most of them, as individuals willing to help rather than screw you over. There are a lot of great people here. Consider them an "Extra" set of eyes. If more people who know you know that you are looking for something in particular, chances are they know somebody who knows somebody... Another example would be that if I knew you were looking for something I was not interested in, found it, I would get it for you. And if somebody finds something rare that you were looking for, you should be happy for them, not angry. Just my 2cents.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dear Steven,

My spies have already discovered which rare, uber-rare, and hard-to-find games you would like. Whenever any one of these appears for sale, anywhere in the world, I and my shadowy associates will buy it out from under you. We will buy and sell you. You will be owned.

Consider yourself on notice.

Muahahaha and all that,
    Dr "Evil" bargora, esq.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't put out the word that you're looking for it... then no one will think of you when they're trying to sell it.

Though if someone starts asking you about it before you have it, tell them to shove off and look it up on the internet, since you obviously did.