Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis in S-Video...... Oh Shiznits!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Genesis in S-Video...... Oh Shiznits!!!

Wowsers!

That's the first phrase that popped into my head when I turned on my old Genny 1 with a newly minted S-Video mod. Good God.

Don't get it twisted.

RGB is definitely better, but man... The Genny in S-Video is fantastic! I would have never imagined that the difference would be so pronounced.

Up till this point, I've played the Genny 3 ways. Composite video ( the little yellow plug), RGB and via the Genesis emulator on XBOX in 720p or 1080i ehanced mode.

No question that RGB is the best picture, but my God, S-Video looks damn good. Much props to Kamino (a DP member) that hooked me up with the mod. Great trade bro! But yeah, S-Video is a really big suprise. I was playing Aladdin, and you could see alot more detail in the structures and stuff. Just little things you didn't notice before. Up until this point, I was actually preferring to go with the Genesis emulator on the XBOX in a 1080i ehanced mode. But until they convert a Genny controller to work on XBOX, this is the best way to play my Genesis on a big Screen TV with a S-Video plug.

The bottom line, is if you got a big screen TV with a S-Video input, and you play your "real" Genesis system on it, then you owe it to yourself to get this mod. It's freaking mandatory.

Runs off to try Jurassic Park in S-Video......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell yes! I love my modded Genny. The level of detail is incredible, and the clarity of the signal is second only to RGB. Try games like Ristar or Rocket Knight Adventures to truly see the difference there is from RCA.

Welcome to a whole new way of playing Genesis!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn man you re making me want to mod one of my gennies
    something i am against - well mabey i can sacrifice the one that i consider the wost - i hope it has the right kind of gutts

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get an old Commodore monitor and buy an R.G.B. scart lead off me - far far better than s-video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm - ive got 3 monitors and i realy think only one has a great picture - the 2002 - 1702 and 1802 are kind of disapointing- (ive used the 2002 first i guess thats why)

what do you plug the cable into? the A/V? (on the geneisis/mega drive)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've modded a number of Genny units and by far and away S-Video is the biggest improvement on these systems compared to any other video game console. That translates into Genesis systems having the absolute worst composite output I have ever seen. It is truly a beautiful sight!
    Check out my site for Turbo Grafx/Duo, PCE, SuperGuns, and Sega Genesis mods and more.....
    http://www.multimods.com

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was amazed at the difference between RF and composite with my Genny...never actually used S-Video on anything bar one time I ended up with a B&W picture...

If it's far better than even the Genny's composite (which I admit still has some blurring...) then I'm sure if I do this mod I'll be amazed...

I'll look into it myself later tonight. I'd love to see how RKA and Socket look...

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Gotta agree on this thing too. Thanks to D-Lite (awesome work by the way!), I also have a modded Genny with S-Video and it is a tremendous difference from the regular composite. Just seeing Lunar and Snatcher in S-Video after over 10 years made my heart skip a beat and a tear come to my eye Sooooooooo....beautiful....*sigh* *hugs his Gennny/Sega CD setup*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How does digital optical out compare with s-video? I got a Pioneer Laseractive which has digital optical and the Sega Genesis pack for it too. I don't have a digital optical on my TV so I can't hook it up and see how it looks. Is it about the same as s-video or better?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm glad to see you're thoroughly enjoying the genesis.
    Shameless plug, the work of anthony1's genesis was that of my soldering iron. If anyone is interested in various system mods, I'm more than likely up to the task....
    And yes - genesis in s video is crazy stuff. I couldn't believe it myself when I first saw Toejam and Earl in s video....I'd always had a bit o'trouble reading the text...not anymore.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    I was amazed at the difference between RF and composite with my Genny...never actually used S-Video on anything bar one time I ended up with a B&W picture...

If it's far better than even the Genny's composite (which I admit still has some blurring...) then I'm sure if I do this mod I'll be amazed...

I'll look into it myself later tonight. I'd love to see how RKA and Socket look...
    To describe the difference, I can only say "fucking insane".
    I did a test on Sonic the hedgehog 1. The A/v port of the genesis still works, so i slammed an a/v cable on that port, s video on the jack, fired it up on composite, and flipped to the s-video input channel...
    The word SONIC in the title screen is actually VERY muddy in composite. as is the SEGA splash at bootup. VERY muddy. It was a welcome change to actually SEE the borders. call me crazy, but the colours seem brighter as well.
    I have good directions posted on my site. One of these years I'll get around to drawing proper schematics as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    How does digital optical out compare with s-video? I got a Pioneer Laseractive which has digital optical and the Sega Genesis pack for it too. I don't have a digital optical on my TV so I can't hook it up and see how it looks. Is it about the same as s-video or better?
    I thought digital optical was for audio, but maybe this is something different.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

that does it. i want one.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-Lite
    I've modded a number of Genny units and by far and away S-Video is the biggest improvement on these systems compared to any other video game console. That translates into Genesis systems having the absolute worst composite output I have ever seen. It is truly a beautiful sight!

That must be it then. The Genesis must have really horrible composite video. Because I've never seen such a huge jump in quality from composite to S-Video. Take the SNES for example. SNES does look better in S-Video, but not this much better!

So the best explanation for it, is that the composite video output of the Genesis is pretty damn horrible

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticjelly
    Get an old Commodore monitor and buy an R.G.B. scart lead off me - far far better than s-video

Obviously RGB is the best video signal you are going to get out of the Genesis, I think we all pretty much know that. Even the people that have never experienced it before, know that RGB is the best.

But not everybody wants to deal with the hassle of getting the right RGB cables and monitors, and all of that.

Now myself personally, I would climb Mount Everest to get my RGB cables, but I'm a different cat altogether.

But the thing is...... Even though I'm a huge RGB nut, sometimes I like playing my real Genesis and Sega CD on my Big Screen TV in my livingroom. For that purpose, S-Video is the way to go.

You have to remember that if you get a Genny 1 or Genny 2 modded for S-Video, you can also use them with the Sega CD and play Sega CD games in S-Video too! The Sega 32X uses it's own video output, so no S-Video there. I'm not sure if it's possible to mod the 32X for S-Video output.

That would be interesting.

On a side note, I got my Genny 1 modded for S-Video, and I have a Sega CD 2. I know that you can connect a Genny 1 to a Sega CD 2, but I couldn't remember what you needed to do to connect them properly. Do you need some special piece of hardware, some type of spacer or something?

I definitely need to play some Popful Mail and Batman Returns (the driving part) in S-Video!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anthony, you should just move to Europe - hassle-free RGB on a nice big TV for practically every system. I'm sure moving thousands of miles is no concern for an audio-visual connessieur like yourself

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

D-Lite modified a Genny for me awhile back with S-Video. I haven't gone back to RF since. It's one of those systems that really come to life when you improve the connection like that. I suspect most people know this if they've ever played a Genesis emulator on their PC monitor.

Truly a wonderful machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/information.aspx?SID=14

Yes indeed, Anthony 1 and DP are correct. It makes you want to play your Genesis *more often*.

Lots of options for those of you willing to take the plunge. If you are handy, you can try it yourself. http://www.gamesx.com/index2.htm . If not I'd happily personally vouch for D-Lite, and of course, me.

Professional install, 90 day warranty on entire system, free detail clean, cart slot de-oxidization too.

RGB may be great, but even Anthony1 admits if you want to hook it to a TV *and* have great Video output, S-Video is the way to go.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmmm. I just have the bulk standard PAL Mega Drive which has an 8 pin DIN socket on the back.

All I did was got hold of one of those camcorder connection kits and fabricated a wire which would convert from the DIN socket into two audio's and an S-Video socket.

I was shocked by how crisp the games looked on my monitor! I'm never going back to playing the Mega Drive in RF again!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmmm. I justhave the bulk standard PAL Mega Drive which has a 6 pin DIN socket on the back.

All I did was got hold of one of those camcorder connection kits and fabricated a wire which would convert from the DIN socket into two audio's and an S-Video socket.

I was shocked by how crisp the games looked on my monitor! I'm never going back to playing the Mega Drive in RF again!!!