Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Video Game Exchange"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "The Video Game Exchange"

There's a store in my town called The Video Game Exchange.. They sell classic systems and games, etc... Anyway, I stepped into the place for the first time a few days ago.. I've been collecting for a while, but I just don't like the idea for spending real money for games.. I usually stick to thrift stores. Anyway.. I knew it was a bad sign when I see the owner has dread locks.. I look at the glass case to see what systems he has, and I noticed a Sega Master System.. I've wanted one for a while, but I didn't want to pay 20 bucks plus shipping. So I asked him how much it was.. He says "Uhm... Sega Master System.. 60 dollars".. I wanted to laugh, but instead.. I just said "Uh.. o..k" I look on the other side to look at his stack of loose NES games.. and I don't see anything I like.. and the prices were, ofcourse, ridiculous.. and then I noticed the Legend of Zelda gold cart for 50 dollars! Loose! Who does this guy think he is?! If that didn't make me dislike this guy even more, I overheard a conversation between him and some butch lesbian customer.. She was buying one of those shitty famiclones for 60 bucks (I pitied her).. and he was talking about how they are so great and much better than the official NES models. and he went on to say, he doesn't even sell NES model 1s anymore, because they're worthless... I wanted to stab him with a broken shard from his sealed Pac-Man fever 7" single... I've had the same model 1 NES since my birth, and it's still workin' like a charm..

Needless to say I left withou making any purchase (Except a Sex Pistols CD for 3.00 bucks..)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

"Eternal Popcorn" (Honestly?... This probably isn't worth clicking.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've often wondered how stores like that stay in business. I guess finding enough suckers to pay $50 for a loose Zelda is the answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What did he do wrong, that he insulted your game console? Obviously people are willing to pay those prices if he is able to remain in business. That's capitalism, and disliking him for stating his opinion is also crazy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    What did he do wrong, that he insulted your game console? Obviously people are willing to pay those prices if he is able to remain in business. That's capitalism, and disliking him for stating his opinion is also crazy.
    No, your allowed to dislike him for ripping people off. By your logic I should love Wal-Mart because they do so well x_x
    Still a gamer, still a liberal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    If you can't dislike someone for their opinion, what can you dislike them for?!

JOE: In my opinion, it's okay to rape babies.
    STEVE: Well, that's your opinion, so I'll still be your friend.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Veepa

Now there's a stange choice for an analogy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philosophyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Veepa

Now there's a stange choice for an analogy.
    Don't try to analyze it..
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds like the store I went to recently. It was about 30 miles away from where I live. When I got there both of the guys behind the counter had corn rows. This racing game was running on the corner tv. The startup menu jumped from rap song to rap song. They had it turned up loud. As I browsed around the store I wondered if people really payed these nutz prices for old video games. I found a loose NES contra for 35 bucks. The top was broken off the cartridge. They were selling SNES systems for 65 and 75 bucks depending on which game was included. Im not talking about chrono trigger here. They came with Shaq fu or some Madden game. Also only one controller was included. The NES systems were selling for 65 and 75 dollars depending on which game you got. The guys behind the counter really pushed getting one of those Yobo things that played NES games. Also their return policy allowed for 3 day money back only if the game or system was unopened. How do you know if the thing works if you dont open it???? I wondered how these people kept the doors open. Then i bought the SNES with shaqfu and the Yobo. (After losing 10 ebay auctions and looking at several pawn shops and thrift stores and flea markets, I swallowed my pride and bought shaq fu).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's Video Game Exchanges here in Milwaukee... not sure if it's the same company or not. They seemed to be a little high, but not unreasonably so.

Still, I do know places like that though... It's hard not to laugh

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a place like that in my neck of the woods (Gameblock). When they first opened, prices were insane. They tried charging $50 for the likes of Zelda too. But I went there again a few months later, and prices had come down to a more reasonable level. If that guy from Video Game Exchange wants to survive, his prices will eventually fall to Earth.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Theres a chain similar to that in my local area Called "Gameworld" theres about three in all of vegas and honestly there ok. I don't like how much they think old used systems are worth. but I have found a few sqweeked through the cracks games that have been mispriced or something I wanted bad enough.

But the reason I mention this though is....

One Day I walked in and noticed something familer on the far counter. It was in a three ring binder and DI was showing from the top sooooo I scooted the newspaper of the top and wouldn't you know it! these guys use the Digipress guide or at least I think so. these guys can be pretty cheap and may have been a copy because I've never seen one. But It had Digital Press Clearly showing.

anyhoo...

when I pressed they guy about what was his forum name/Stores handle and does he sell here in the forums or only on ebay he played dum. like I was going to talk crap about it or something.

HEY Maybe this'll draw him out lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Outrageous prices for "retro" games and hardware seems to be a trend as of late at video game stores. Last week I walked into a Game Crazy in Warwick R.I and they had a SNES with one controller for $65.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to take this moment to point out to all of the people that hate EB and Gamestop and love indie stores that EB prices NES's at $30 and SNES's at $35 And Genesis at $8 if they have any hehehe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

There use to be VGE in MD years ago.

Then it was bought out and became (It's about Games)

Of corse i haven't been there in a long time, since they gave up carrying games for old systems.

Damn i thought VGE didn't exist any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a lot of game stores, indie and otherwise, here in the Orlando area. The competition keeps everybody honest. Its pretty rare to find anything going for much more than Ebay prices, but its also pretty hard to find a real good bargin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default The best thing to do is....

I have a store in my home town that likes to overprice things. The best thing to do is to speak with your business and not shop there. Places that have high prices are not going to usually lower them. You can always try but it comes to two options. 1. Shop there and deal with the possible occasional find, or 2. Leave and go somewhere else. Dont let inflated high prices get to you, we live at a time that everyone who is not an expert in video games thinks that vintage games are either worth thier weight in gold or not worth anything. Unfortunately it comes with the terrritory of being a gaming collector
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I guess I should really count myself lucky that the local "indy" used game stores all have reasonable prices. Must be the competition that keeps them honest.

My favorite is the statewide "chain" Graywhale. While their systems are a bit overpriced ($20 for NES/Genesis, $30 for SNES/Dreamcast), the only overpriced games are the in-demand ones and even those aren't too bad. I mean, I would never pay $20 for a loose Zelda or $10 for a loose Castlevania, but I don't think they are totally ripping people off with those prices - and there have been ones I have considered ($10 for complete Castlevania, $20 for Warriors of the Eternal Sun box + cart, $40 for completel Final Fantasy III manual missing front and back cover). Meanwhile, every other NES/SNES/Genesis game is $6 or less and for almost a year now have been Buy 2, Get 1 free (mix 'n match) so I've picked up some good deals on Aerobiz Supersonic (both systems), Destiny of an Emperor, Contra III, 7th Saga, etc.

There are also two stores called Game Peddler that have decent prices (usually within 5% of DP guide prices) and occasionally have good deals (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for $7)

The other independent is Recycled Games whose prices are generally on the high side, but I have found a few gems here (and they have a great Sega CD collection - if only their prices were about 20% less!)

As for chains, Game Crazy prices range from great to awful, and Rhino Video Games is almost always on the expensive side, except when their Genesis games are complete in which case they have reasonable prices.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    There's Video Game Exchanges here in Milwaukee... not sure if it's the same company or not. They seemed to be a little high, but not unreasonably so.

Still, I do know places like that though... It's hard not to laugh
    I think they all went out of business around here. They were very interested in coming to the Midwest Gaming Classic last year and maybe even sponsoring it, and then suddenly they dropped off the face of the planet. Their stores closed at about the same time.

They had great prices and were where I bought most of my NES stuff... in the '80s. I was always baffled when I went in there how they stayed open, because the prices were the same as they were in the '80s. Expensive.

A better Milwaukee example is Record Head, which used to sell everything retro really cheap and was a great source, and then suddenly they raised their prices about four times what they were. In fact, I was in there looking at the Colecovision games while the guy in the store was asking which games I was buying, and then replacing the $2.95 price tags with $39.95 price tags on stuff like Donkey Kong Junior and Smurfs.

Needless to say, I very very rarely visit there now too, and I'm amazed they are still around.

That having been said, if it is working for them, you can't be angry with it. If you don't like the prices, don't pay and maybe they'll drop their prices.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have no idea if Video Game Exchange is some kind of chain, but there is a Video Game Exchange in Plaistow, NH. about 90 minutes away from me. The guy is extremey overpriced on most of his stuff, but chances are he WILL have what you need if you are willing to pay, Everything from Pong up....seriously, He has a wall of 3000 vcs games, He's a bit out of touch though... he still thinks his Tengen Tetris is worth $250, for one of many hundreds of examples I coud offer. Mostly, his prices are completely rediculous though.

What really pisses me off is thiis one dude at the flea market has some SUPER overpriced stuff. He'll telll me that there'sa store in Plastow that sellls it for XX amount, trying to convince me I'm getting some super-speciall deal. Then I told him that <store owners fulll name wiithheld>'s prices are the highest in the whole country, so it's a horrible comparison. He seemed really surprised, but he stilll thought he could bullshit me. He thinks FF for NES is worth $45 beacause it's RARE. God...

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you find a place thats crazy overpriced, just do what I do. Sell to them. If their prices are nuts, odds are better that you can get some great money for old common crap. I also find that telling them one or two factoids about whatever you are trading in is a great way get the price up. But if their prices are high and they only do credit, its a bit harder to get a deal.