Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Good Ol' Days -- A Sad Review of Chuck E. Cheese

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default The Good Ol' Days -- A Sad Review of Chuck E. Cheese

The coolest thing about having a three-year-old son is that you get to hang out with three-year-olds and do things with them without being too guilty, whether it’s going to the movies to see a kiddie movie, feeding ducks stale bread and popcorn at the duck pond, or spending a couple of hours guilt-free at the local Chuck E. Cheese restaurant. One of my sons’ friends had her four-year-old birthday party Saturday at Chuck E. Cheese, so I got to spend a couple of hours there and thought I’d type up this quick review.

Those of you lucky enough to remember the original Chuck E. Cheese and Showbiz Pizza restaurants probably have the same sentimental feelings attached to the restaurants as I do. While I don’t think I ever had a birthday party there, I attended several other kids’ parties and have great memories of the place. There were small rides, there were lots of arcade games, but most importantly there was that huge animatronic band that took the stage several times an hour, singing classic hits and interacting with one another.

My sad review of Chuck E. Cheese is that most of that is gone. Upon entering the restaurant, I went right to the stage area and found that it had basically been removed. In its place were several large flat panel television screens. To the left of the screens were several smaller televisions sunk into the wall. To the right I noticed one small stage, which housed the one remaining animatronic figure, Chuck himself. As the screens announced “It’s SHOWTIME!” the figures I remembered from my youth appeared only on the television screens. The curtains around Chuck pulled back and he performed and sang along, but it just wasn’t the same. The band has left the building.

And speaking of leaving the building, so have most of the games. Our Chuck E. Cheese restaurant now has four arcade games: Star Wars Pod Racer, Cruisin’ USA, Arctic Thunder and a Neo Geo cabinet. Everything else in the restaurant was either a ticket redemption machine posing as an arcade game, a ride, or some other game (such as skee-ball and air hockey). Trust me, I looked – there were no games to be found.

I have to say, I felt a little disappointed when we left. Not for me as much as for the kids. Now I know how my father feels when he tells me about the good ol’ days of hot rods and stuff. I’ve seen the movies, I’ve been to car shows, but when it boils right down to it, it was simply an era that I will never experience and can never truly relate to. I had that same feeling walking out of Chuck E. Cheese, looking at all the kids dancing in front of big plasma screens and trying to trade in thousands of tickets for a small stuffed idol. Someday, when my kids are playing in my home arcade, I’ll try to explain to them what it was like “in the good ol’ days,” but I’m not sure that they’ll every truly understand.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

chuck fucked up....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Yeah man I got to go to a party at Chucks in my teens "I was technically an adult guest" But you know I was there for the GAMES. there was just 3 real arcade games and some stupid redemption games and that little playground ball pit. I wound up playing the Bucky O hare beat em up and drinking soda.

Back in the day it was a huge arcade with the animatronic stuff and basically more cool things than you could do as a kid in the hours before you passed out from exhaustion.. now it seems like even the kids are bored in 20 minutes.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Chuck E. Cheese nearest my house still has most of the animatronics, however, most of the arcade games are gone. When I was a kid I remember Chucky's being packed with arcade games, now there's only a few and they are mostly car driving games. For the most part there are a lot of ticket dispensing games as you stated. The balls that you could play in have been removed, and replaced by a complicated series of slides. Also, when I was a kid I remember them having a maze under the stage that you could crawl through. That was quickly removed though when some kid got stuck under there. My cousin's wife was a manager there a few years back and she said that, in the slides I mentioned a few sentences back, kids would constantly climb to the top of the slide and (ahem) use the restroom. Oh yeah, they don't sell beer there anymore either! Ah well, it still holds plenty of fond memories
    Be excellent to one another. Party on dudes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's a shame what happened to Showbiz/Chuck E. I had my first ever job there when I was 16 as a gameroom attendant and it's a time I'll never forget. Apparently, they wanted to make it a more family-friendly place and that was the reason why they got rid of most of their arcade games. I guess they figured they wouldn't have punk-ass teens coming in all the time to play games if they got rid of most of them. In fact, one of my jobs as gameroom attendant was to "guard" the front doors at night and keep the older kids from coming in. It was kind of funny...16 yo me telling 18-19yo burn-out kids that weren't allowed in if they weren't with a family or a party. Allot of times, they'd just walk right past me. x_x

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just go for the skeeball anyway. Last time I went there was a month or so ago. I was with my brother and I felt like playing skeeball on a whim, so we went.

I won the 200 ticket jackpot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Here is the stage area now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's sad. I remember my dad taking me to that restaurant maybe 12 years ago (I was probably 5 when he took me) and seeing those singing figures you were talking about. Those were neat. I remember they had good pizza too.

I hate time.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can you write a review about that and not mention Nolan Bushnell? He's more or less the father of video gaming [as well as pizza involving gaming], second only to Ralph Baer.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Oh man, what happened to Mitzy Mouse, Mister Munch and Pasqualli??? Please tell me they are still around at least! It's been ages since I've been in there, so I just want to know that they're still o.k.

The Rockafire Explosion really needs to re-unite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    How can you write a review about that and not mention Nolan Bushnell? He's more or less the father of video gaming [as well as pizza involving gaming], second only to Ralph Baer.
    It was easy, mainly because it was a review of my time spent there Saturday and not an essay about the history of the company or the man who resigned from it over 20 years ago.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's really sad. I remember going there with my younger cousins a few years back and they still had The Simpsons, Cruisin' World, Top Skater and others. The stage was still there as well. I had a birthday party there as a kid and it's quite sad that all of the fun parts are disappearing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Oh man, what happened to Mitzy Mouse, Mister Munch and Pasqualli??? Please tell me they are still around at least! It's been ages since I've been in there, so I just want to know that they're still o.k.

The Rockafire Explosion really needs to re-unite.
    Well, some of them still live in my game room (in spirit, at least) ...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really bummed out by this thread. I still have a little box full of game tokens from the eighties. I remember one time I went there with a party as a kid and a guy in a Chuck E Cheese costume was doing the little hand waving dance routine outside the front door. A group of kids in the party ran up and started messing with him and having fun, but they ended pissing him off and breaking his foam tail. Well, they all ran inside completely oblivious, but as I walked past, Chuck E Cheese whacked me upside the head with his broken tail so hard that a piece of it went flying into the parking lot. I remember it my hurt feelings a little because I didn't even touch him. Actually, just typing this makes me want to go find that guy and beat him up. Plus, when I got inside, groups of older kids would hover around the cabinets while you were playing and try to bum tokens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Too bad you didn't save a piece of that tail -- you could probably sell it on eBay (or just sue the place).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I was just thinking that.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

So how about the pizza itself, Flack? Any better then it used to be? Even as a kid I remember that it was only average. I learned later on why that was -- the company spent the smallest ammount possible on the food to cram in as much money for the stage and the games.

There's one right here in RI, at Warwick, next to a mall. I should stop in one time next time I go to EB and check it out.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a friend of mine dropped off her kid to chuckie cheese for a bday,. It is similar to what I remembered it as, minus the arcade machines... They did have F-zero there though.....
    God, I loved that place soo much... Anyway what was the other place called back in the mid 90s that was similar to chuckie cheese and had some men in black "experience" thing called?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I grew up with ShowBizz Pizza before it converted to a Chuck E. Cheeze. I remember all too well the fond memeries I had had there. I personally never had a birthday party there, but attended several friends who had. When I was young and entered the place for the first time I did not know what to expect, and to be honest with you, those animitronic characters scared the piss out of me. I never saw anything like that before. But the games, oh man... I played sick one day so I didn't have to go to school. After 10 minutees I felt MUCH better. . So my mom knowingly knew I was just lazy and didn't want to go to school, so she asked me if I wanted to go play games. HECK YA! I threw a cough in occasionally, but my mom said stop pretending. But I can recall playing so many great games there for hours. The game room was nothing BUT video games. Games I played as a kid and loved was Peter pack Rat, Dragon's Lair, Jungle Hunt, Galaxian, Galaga, Frogger, Asteroids, and I even remember they had this built in race track with remote control cars. It had 4-6 cars and people raced against each other. That was fun! My 2 nieces hate the place because they don't have any games, so they go to Oddessey Fun World in Illinois to play in the 3 story tunnel fun land thingy and play games, they could care less about rides. I don't see Chuck E. Cheeze have anything going for them. I remeber the food was pretty darn good, the pizza was dripping grease, way back then, don't know how it is now. Anyone? I do mis the old days, the 5 arcades you could go to in a 10 mile radius, are now but a distant memory. Sad...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well the pizza was at best average. Of course it was greasy, the crust was good and the cheese was like ... hm, not stringy or stretchy at all. On top of that, there was very little sauce, my guess is the bottom line is to make sure it's not messy for the kids. I think a pizza, pitcher of coke and 20 tokens was $25 which is a bit on the high side for what you're getting but if you're there you're there.