Thread: Monitor replacement in a Ms Pac Man

Insert Coin (Level 0) animesuperj's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Monitor replacement in a Ms Pac Man

I'm getting two more machines to add to my collection tomorrow, a Krazy Bowl and a Ms. Pac Man. From the description, the Krazy Bowl should work fine, it's just been in storage for a while and needs to be cleaned up. However, the Ms. Pac Man apparently has a burnt out screen.

I'd like to just replace it and have both machines running, rather than switch the screens (if that's even possible). My question, is what monitor do I need to replace this? If someone can point me in the right direction, that'd be really helpful. Is it just a 19inch arcade monitor (tired searching a bit, but wasn't completely sure what I needed). Thanks in advance for any help anyone has!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by animesuperj View Post
    I'm getting two more machines to add to my collection tomorrow, a Krazy Bowl and a Ms. Pac Man. From the description, the Krazy Bowl should work fine, it's just been in storage for a while and needs to be cleaned up. However, the Ms. Pac Man apparently has a burnt out screen.

I'd like to just replace it and have both machines running, rather than switch the screens (if that's even possible). My question, is what monitor do I need to replace this? If someone can point me in the right direction, that'd be really helpful. Is it just a 19inch arcade monitor (tired searching a bit, but wasn't completely sure what I needed). Thanks in advance for any help anyone has!
    Get a Vision Pro 19-inch CRT.

But you're gonna have to search pretty hard. They quit manufacturing CRT's last year, by federal law, and most people I know are starting to hoard them.

You can alwayws pay extra for one of the new LCD arcade monitors, but I hear they don't look as good in classic machines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Otherwise If you look and can't find one. I live in Green Bay and can either rebuild yours or rebuild one of the ones I have down the basement and sell you that one.

Ms Pac's usually have a GO7 monitor. I just recapped and rebuilt 2 this week for 2 Ms Pac cabaret cabinets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the responses, and the offer dave2236. I actually have a different question, as I got the machine and did a little work with it.

As I mentioned, I 'thought' the Ms Pac Man had a burnt out screen. When I got it, I plugged it in, and it sounded correct. You could hear the game playing, and nothing would show up on the screen. I had a friend of mine come over to see if we could figure out what's going on with it. We turned it on, and let it sit for about 5 minutes with just us talking. I decided to play with the black level, contrast, and 50/60 (not really sure what this is, anyone?) twist levels inside the machine. I was surprised when my friend said that it was kinda working, and we were getting a picture!

After about another 2 - 3 minutes to trying different levels on everything, we got a very faded picture. You can still see color, but everything just looks....faded. It reminds me of a really washed out tee-shirt. The right side of the monitor also seems to be jumpy. The left side also seems to just kinda fad out, and then not get displayed (if that makes sense?) I can try posting a picture if that would help people.

So, it seems the monitor ISNT burnt out! I guess that's good, it's at least progress. But now, as people might guess, is what's up with the screen? Do I still need to replace it, or can I salvage the current one and fix this somehow? I'd really not like to take the screen out and put in a new one, but if I need to, then that's the case. Just wanted to see what's up with this thing now, as it seems that it works....kinda; and isn't burnt out screen

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After about another 2 - 3 minutes to trying different levels on everything, we got a very faded picture. You can still see color, but everything just looks....faded. It reminds me of a really washed out tee-shirt. The right side of the monitor also seems to be jumpy. The left side also seems to just kinda fad out, and then not get displayed (if that makes sense?) I can try posting a picture if that would help people.
    Cap kit.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Thanks for the responses, and the offer dave2236. I actually have a different question, as I got the machine and did a little work with it.

As I mentioned, I 'thought' the Ms Pac Man had a burnt out screen. When I got it, I plugged it in, and it sounded correct. You could hear the game playing, and nothing would show up on the screen. I had a friend of mine come over to see if we could figure out what's going on with it. We turned it on, and let it sit for about 5 minutes with just us talking. I decided to play with the black level, contrast, and 50/60 (not really sure what this is, anyone?) twist levels inside the machine. I was surprised when my friend said that it was kinda working, and we were getting a picture!

So, it seems the monitor ISNT burnt out! I guess that's good, it's at least progress. But now, as people might guess, is what's up with the screen? Do I still need to replace it, or can I salvage the current one and fix this somehow? I'd really not like to take the screen out and put in a new one, but if I need to, then that's the case. Just wanted to see what's up with this thing now, as it seems that it works....kinda; and isn't burnt out screen
    WORD OF WARNING!! Based on my experience, not all original Midway monitors were Electrohome G07's!!

And before you order a cap kit, make sure you're ordering the CORRECT kit.

I have a Pac-Man and I had to cap it. The problem is, I ordered the capkit for an Electrohome G07, without ID'ing the monitor, first. Turns out, my monitor wasn't a G07, but a Wells Gardner k4600, in a G07 chassis. Midway used BOTH types of monitors, back in those days. If your monitor looks like it has 2 other smaller boards that sit on the monitors PCB, you have a WG 4600. If your monitor has a visible flyback transformer, on the PCB - it's a G07.

Bob Roberts has an excellent monitor ID page..

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/monitor.html
    Last edited by diskoboy; 08-31-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on that diskoboy. I'll have to take another look when I get home, but from looking at that page, it looks to be the Electrohome rather than a WG. I was guessing this thing probably needed a capkit, but just wanted to see what other people thought since I'm still new at this.

Also, looking at the power supply of the thing, is it worth it to upgrade that? Looking for other parts I need to replace, I've seen a few newer supplies, and just wondering if the effort in replacing it is really worth any big payoff I might get from it (or should I just leave it since it's fine)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Thanks for the heads up on that diskoboy. I'll have to take another look when I get home, but from looking at that page, it looks to be the Electrohome rather than a WG. I was guessing this thing probably needed a capkit, but just wanted to see what other people thought since I'm still new at this.

Also, looking at the power supply of the thing, is it worth it to upgrade that? Looking for other parts I need to replace, I've seen a few newer supplies, and just wondering if the effort in replacing it is really worth any big payoff I might get from it (or should I just leave it since it's fine)?
    Never hurts. But as long as the ground pin is still intact, and no exposed wires on your cord, you should be okay. If you're constantly tripping breakers, or blowing fuses - then it's definitely time for a new PS.

My Pac-Man is still running off it's original power supply and cord. Those old power blocks are surprisingly built very solid, as long as you keep them fairly clean, and replace fuses when they blow.