Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS3 may slip to 2007? depending on Xbox360 performance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood
    Game over, Sony, game over.....

The first ray of the new rising sun will soon be upon us.
    well I fully disagree, I think with the PS3 supporting the new format as in Blue Ray, will give them eventually victory in the console wars I would rather buy a Ps3 because it gives Blue ray format as well as backward compatibility than the 360 which only offers dvd and not that good of backwards compatibility.

Microsoft I also believe that they are making alot of mistakes with the 360 and that will be a extremely damaging thing for them.

though on topic of PS3, they may launch at a higher price than than the 360 but I think they will be the same launch price, and well i can see nintendo doing exremely well with the revolution, I don't see Sony losing that much ground at all, they haven't made a mistake that big if at all I can see.

We will see what happens and go from there. but I predict by the end of this next generation

1. Sony by pretty far in first
    2. Nintendo It will come down to a close battle with Nintedo reclaiming alot of lost ground but it depends on what they do coming up
    3. Microsoft, The mistakes I think they seem like they will make is gonna be big, and will cost them in the end.

but we will see what happens, I may be totally off, I have no clue.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well I fully disagree, I think with the PS3 supporting the new format as in Blue Ray, will give them eventually victory in the console wars I would rather buy a Ps3 because it gives Blue ray format as well as backward compatibility than the 360 which only offers dvd and not that good of backwards compatibility.
    So you don't buy consoles for the games or what?

I still believe that the PS2 was the exception when it comes to non game features being a crucial factor. It was an exact convergence of factors that will not be seen again.

The PS2 cost is an estimated $200 dollars less than PS3, and it was timed perfectly to take advantage of DVD functionality.

The timing is off, and so is the price this time. And last time there was no real competition either because jerks skipped out on the DC in such droves.

The American market will not accept a new DVD format quickly enough. That is what would prevent your scenario in my view.

Blu-ray isn't the sure thing interenet hypesters think it is. That is not to say that HD-DVD will win either.

I believe that either both will be failed interim formats that never achieve proper market penetration in the US like Laserdisc, SVHS and such, or that one will eventually be taken out of mothballs at some future date, renamed to disassociate it from a failed format, and so on, likely Blu-ray.

Also, I don't know anyone who has or intends to buy a HDTV in the foreseeable future. When I ask, they always agree with me that it is a waste of money. And I occasionally buy $300 Neo Geo AES carts for pete's sake.

I don't know about where other folks live, but around here the upper middle class are the ones who mess with this crap, and they aren't exactly legion.

People I know don't want to have to buy movies again, especially not at $40.

By the time the US market is ready for Blu-ray, the PS3 will have had it's ass kicked already as a game console, and the loss of developer support and reputation with consumers will be be irrecoverable.

WIth PS2, the movie playback was a boon that held it over while the software lineup took it's own good time to materialize properly.

This time the PS3 would need to fall back on games while the Blu-ray stuff slowly arrives on the scene.

It's really more an opposite scenario, and the launch games won't be any better than PS2 either. The added cost will hurt sales. Developers will be frightened off.

Even if the Blu-ray then allows it to sell, it will be less of a force in the game market than a midway compromise between a console and a set top box. The damage would already be done.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops! Accidental double post frenzy.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FurinkanianFrood
    The American market will not accept a new DVD format quickly enough. That is what would prevent your scenario in my view.
    Indeed. Asking everyone to buy thier movies all over again after they just jumped to DVD barely 5 years ago is asking alot.

I got into DVD in 1999 and i'm not ready to go HD yet. I remember working retail around DVD's at the time and even in 2001 people were still clinging onto VHS.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Some silly stuff...

Sonyy and Microsoft are two immense companies who have teams and teams of people dedicated to the development and promotion of new technology and the sale of that technology. Neither system will fail, they money they invest creates their success. Nintendo while being profitable, is not guaranteed any success, no matter how nifty their controller is. Both systems may have high initial price points but they are clearly interested in selling as many systems as possible and will definitely get these systems to a point that they will sell, no matter how much they lose. Spftware sales is where they will find their profit, also the new online hubs and shops and sales of things like new levels and t-shirts will be pure profit, compensating for any loss.

Anyone seen the price of DVD's lately, they are dirt cheap compared to a few years ago. Previously viewd titles are sometimes as low as 3 for $10 around here (EBGames). Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (or other), will replace DVD over the next few years (remember VHS? put your DVD's oin the same closet or attic). HDTV's will in the not to distant future be the only TV's available, most stores are 75%+ HDTV already, you can get a HDTV CRT under $500 now, they are almost to the price point of Standard Defintion TV's ov several years ago, with inflation it's probably even. You may have friends refusing to pay for a HDTV but they are just in denial. Most people spend more time in front of thei TV's then in their car, yet they'll dish out hundreds a month just to impress others with their new car...

I see a console war comparable to Genesis (Xbox360), vs PS3 (SNES) approaching (Revolution = TG16), and most people here probably have a SNES a Gensis and many a TG-16.

Trebuken

P.S. - People need to stop being in denial over HDTV, your just plain wrong. Watch your favorite sport on a DLP set with 5.1 surround sound and a six-pack of your favorite beverage, or go to your local Best Buy and watch someone playing Forza on a 53" set with a gaming chair and steering wheel set up in front of it...if this does prove anything to you, try a shrink...it's really that obvious...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Some silly stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    ...go to your local Best Buy and watch someone playing Forza on a 53" set with a gaming chair and steering wheel set up in front of it...
    Anyone, playing anything, on a 53" Television, impresses me. HD or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could be wrong here but I think Sony is making major mistakes here. Fist off leaving the PS2 on the market as their premier system for aver 6 years is a deadly mistake. Hell, the SNES wasn’t even out that long and Nintendo was hammered for not having the N64 out sooner. Second, if you look at what the PS3 is supposed to do, the price is going to be high. I fully expect Sony to market the PS3 as a media center, not a console. By doing this they can fetch a higher price (say $999) and compare it to a PC, not a gaming system. With the long list of features this thing has, there is no way they are coming out with it at anything less than $500. I simply cannot believe how much of a cluster F this whole thing is. For once I believe MS has the right idea. Bring out a fucking system that plays games, do it in a timely manner and at a reasonable cost. Neither Sony nor Nintendo can seem to figure that out. At CES we got a fully functional 360, a mock-up PS3 and a completely fake “Revolution” full of pinball parts. I have watched the major console releases for years and never have I seen such a messed up ordeal. This is truly an embarrassing time for the industry.

As for the HD thing, face it, it’s coming. I’ve had a HD set for years now and I’m not upper middle class. You can pick up a decent HD 16:9 set for low $$ at Wal Mart for crying out loud. DVD has been out since 1998, it’s time to move on. VHS was simply put, a dinosaur. It was in need of replacement years before DVD crept out. Hell, the cassette was replaced in the late 80’s by CD, why were we still watching a cassette format in 1997? If it weren’t for Blu Ray, I’d say that HD DVD (coming out this fall, NOT late 2006) would be where the industry is going. But thanks to Sony pushing another proprietary piece of equipment, there’s going to be a possible format war.

Simply put, it’s the industry that’s bringing things to a halt. Movie houses are too busy trying to stop piracy so they keep coming out with new “better” formats to replace the ones they hadn’t even released yet. Sony is procrastinating on the PS3 and Nintendo is resting on the GC for a while. Meanwhile MS seems to have the right idea (Good Lord, I never thought I’d say that). As for us the consumers, were forced to play the PS2 for 6 years and watch a movie format that’s 7 years old. And my coworkers wonder why I like retro gaming. I will never buy another PS2, period. Not for $99, not for $49. Sony can eat my sack.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

opps

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oops