Thread: Donkey Kong Tribute Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Donkey Kong Tribute Thread

This thread is a tribute to one of the most significant series in gaming, Nintendo's Donkey Kong.

Donkey Kong(Arcade, 1981)
    I don't think I need to explain what a phenomenon this game was. While it wasn't the first ladder climbing game(I believe that honour goes to Universal's Space Panic) it was certainly the one that made the platform genre take off in popularity.

DK had numerous home ports, the most significant one in North America being the ColecoVision version. Coleco had obtained exclusive console rights to the game and packaged it with their new console in 1982.

Coleco also released ports on its competitors' consoles, the Atari 2600 and Mattel Intellivision.

2600 version

InTV version

Atari initially got the personal computer rights and released it for Atari 8-bit computers, TI99/4A, Vic 20, DOS PC, C64 and Apple II.

Atari 8-bit version

Ti99/4A version

Vic version

Atarisoft C64 version

Apple version

Coleco made a legal error by making a version for their ADAM computer which they showed at the 1983 CES. They figured they had the right to port their ColecoVision version to it but didn't realize Nintendo had already sold the computer rights to Atari. David Sheff's Nintendo history book goes over everything about this and other DK related lawsuits in detail for those interested.

The ADAM version included the level and intro missing from the ColecoVision version. This enhanced port was released in bootleg form on ColecoVision as Super Donkey Kong.

When Nintendo launched their Famicom in Japan in 1983, DK was a launch title. They must have rushed it though as it was missing the factory level.

Later on Atari did a 7800 version and they re-released Coleco's 2600 port. Ocean released versions for the C64(different than the Atari one), MSX, CPC and Spectrum.

7800 version(the colours are off in this emulated pic)

Ocean C64 version

MSX version

Spectrum version

Coleco tabletop(1982)
    http://users2.ev1.net/~rik1138/Colec...DonkeyKong.jpg

Donkey Kong Junior(Arcade, 1982)

Like the first game, Coleco ported it to ColecoVision, 2600 and Intellivision. There was a bootleg Super Donkey Kong 2 on ColecoVision. Nintendo made it a Famicom launch title and Atari later released it on 7800.

Coleco version

2600 version

InTV version

NES version

7800 version

NES DK1 and Jr. were also released in the West in one cartridge as Donkey Kong Classics.

Donkey Kong 3(Arcade, 1983)
    DK3 was significantly less popular than the first two games. The only home port back then was the NES version. Unlike its platformer predecessors this one was a shooter. You played as Stanley defending his garden.

NES version
    http://www.rombase.de/nintendones/fo...key-kong-3.gif

Donkey Kong Jr. Math(NES, 1983 Japan/1985)

Nintendo released several DK Game & Watch games in the early-mid '80s.

Wide Screen Donkey Kong Jr.(1982)

Multi-screen Donkey Kong(1982)

Multi-screen Donkey Kong II(1983)

Tabletop Donkey Kong Jr.(1983)

Panorama Donkey Kong Jr.(1983)

Donkey Kong Circus(1984)
    http://www.retro-games.private.pl/gr...s/dkcircus.jpg

Micro Vs System Donkey Kong 3(1984)
    This was quite a bit different than the arcade game. You still sprayed bugs but this time you shot your repellent sideways to push them toward your opponent.

Micro Vs System Donkey Kong Hockey(1984)

Miniclassics Donkey Kong Jr.(1998)
    http://www.gameandwatch.com/screen/m...s/donkeyjr.gif

A few of G&W games were re-released and remade in the Game & Watch Gallery series.

Donkey Kong in Game & Watch Gallery 2(GB/GBC, 1998)

Donkey Kong Junior in Game & Watch Gallery 3(GB/GBC, 1999)

Game & Watch Gallery 4(GBA, 2002)
    Donkey Kong 3
    http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/ima..._g&wg4_dk3.gif
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/ima...g&wg4_dkjr.gif

Also for GBA, Nintendo re-released the NES port of DK. The three NES games were also done in e-reader form.

One of best games made for the original Game Boy was the 1994 rendition of Donkey Kong(often referred to as Donkey Kong '94). This one took a more puzzle-ish approach to its gameplay as you had to figure out how to get the key to the door. The game was designed with the newly released Super Game Boy peripheral for SNES and so it had a fancy background border when played that way.

The face of DK literally changed forever when Donkey Kong Country was released for the SNES in late 1994. Whereas all previous DK games were developed in-house at Nintendo in Japan, this sidescroller was made in the UK by Rare. Nintendo hyped the rendered graphics and it became the most popular game that year.

DKC had two quick sequels on SNES and a similar but obviously downgraded Game Boy variant called Donkey Kong Land. DKC was later ported to Game Boy Advance.

Donkey Kong Country 2

There were even pirate Famicom DKC ports.
    http://www.ycsf.net/emu/images/fcnet/Super%20Donkey%20Kong%20-%20Xiang%20Jiao%20Chuan%20(Asia)%200.JPG

DK's first entry in the world of 3d games came in 1999 with Donkey Kong 64 for the Nintendo 64. It was also developed by Rare and followed in the footsteps of "scavenger hunt" style platformers like Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64. I hated the game but at least it included the original DK and Rare's Spectrum game Jetpac.

Nintendo's Seattle based developer NST created Mario vs. Donkey Kong for Game Boy Advance, a 2004 follow up to DK'94.

Namco developed the rhythm game series Donkey Konga for the Gamecube. A set of bongo drums was included as a controller.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
    Now this is the modern DK game every Nintendo fan needs to buy. It's classic platforming made surprisingly fresh by the bongo controllers and it reminds me of the Nintendo of old more than anything else they have done recently. The boss fights are excellent too and are certainly reminiscent of the Punch Out!! arcade games with the large buttons for bashing.

Developed by Paon, DK: King of Swing is the latest DK game for Game Boy Advance. It's coming later this year. I gave the rom a try and while it's a nice looking game and fairly original, I found the game awkward to play and disappointing. You use one button to grab with DK's left hand and another for his right. You climb by alternating and rotating.

Other tidbits:

DK wasn't Nintendo's first primate character. The first appeared in their 1979 arcade ball and paddle game Monkey Magic.
    http://www.arcadeflyers.net/?page=fl...thumbs&id=3421

Nintendo's arcade game Sky Skipper had gorilla characters very similar to Donkey Kong. Parker Bros. ported the game to the 2600 although it was changed quite a bit.
    http://www.arcadeflyers.net/?page=fl...thumbs&id=2572

Donkey Kong has appeared in countless other Nintendo games over the years from cameos in Punch Out!! and Wario Ware to being a playable character in Mario Kart and various sports games. There's way too many instances to keep track of.

So which DK games do you love or hate? Where do you want to see the franchise headed?

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember the first time I played Donkey Kong, was in 88', on the "Donkey Kong Classics" on NES. My older brother didn't care much for Donkey Kong series, so we never had it on Atari of Commodore. So this was quite new to me. Needless to say, I didn't really care much for it at the time, since we had so many other choices on the NES.

In 1995, we had some old Macnitosh's (with the green LCD screens much like a GameBoy) at school that were in storage in the Math room during my 8th grade year, and during one afternoon after our math test, me and the guys dug them out, cleaned them up, powered them up to see if they would go, sure it was a funny joke to us, but it back fired and they actually worked nicely and some of them had Donkey Kong on them still..which actually plays pretty well I must say. So we spent at least 45 minutes before the next class playing Donkey Kong lol

Last year, I had the opportunity to play the 2600 and 7800 verisons of DK and DK Jr. Where I felt that the 2600 was a crying shame, but the 7800 was a work of art to show what the system could really do, it's a shame it didn't last long at all

Earlier this summer, I had a ColecoVision for the very first time, and needless to say, it had Donkey Kong with it. Now I was pretty much blown away how many colors this system could pull off and well it handled. Yet it doesn't make any sense if this was the first port, yet it's odd how the other ports don't look so hot. Judging from the Intellivision verison, I can see why Kamino wants to kill Mattel..

Donkey Kong 3, I never played until i got Animal Crossing on Cube (Sad, I know lol) Yet I still say it's the weirdest of the batch

As for Donkey Kong 94' for GameBoy. That was impressive to turn the Donkey Kong game and place it in a long adventure was quite impressive. Plus, still one of the nicest looking games on the Super GameBoy to this date I would have to say.

Donkey Kong Country I loved to death, it was awesome and a great comeback for DK. Yet, part 2 and 3 I didnt care much for, adding more characters to a series gets old quick (Hm, I could insert a Sonic Adventure reminder...but not today).

I liked DK 64, but it was missing something, I think it was the fact that switching characters so many times to get one task done was a pain in the ass.

As of now, I don't like the look of Donkey Kong, I miss the classic look of him, ever since Rare gave that new look, he looks too serious. Kind of sucks, because if you notice the time line, the last time they used a classic style of Donkey Kong was in Donkey Kong 94' (GameBoy) and Mario Kart on SNES (DK Jr)
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Cool post man!

+200 meseta for you!

Chris

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks! That article showed me some things I never knew about before. I'll follow Jibbas suit and say another 200 for you!
    -Craig
    So it goes.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

What about Mario Vs. Donkey Kong?

Also, I think the reason the Factory level was omitted from the NES port was due to memory space if I remember right.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just for kicks, here are a couple pictures of the Donkey Kong papercraft I made!

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the donations, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    What about Mario Vs. Donkey Kong?

Also, I think the reason the Factory level was omitted from the NES port was due to memory space if I remember right.
    I included MvsDK but the pic didn't work.

A game I forgot was Diddy Kong Racing which was a really cool take on Mario Kart style racing.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater

A game I forgot was Diddy Kong Racing which was a really cool take on Mario Kart style racing.
    God, I love Diddy Kong Racing! It just has SOOOO much variety! I especially love racing against the triceratops!

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh....DK

The Game Boy version of Donkey Kong(along with Super Mario Land) was my first game, on my first system, Gameboy Pocket. I was incredibly bad at this game. I did'nt understand stand the concept of climbing up ladders, so I kept getting killed by fireballs. I never really got good at Donkey Kong games. Certain Levels in DK Country really tested my nerves (and my controller), and to this, I have no idea how to progress further into Donkey Kong 64. At least the Gameboy Donkey Kong was there for long car rides

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always loved all the games that involved good old DK. Even the poorly graphicized Intellivison version of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. I had no idea that there were so many 8-bit versions of it. Cool post.
    The SNES versions (most notably, the first one) literally blew me away. And, as Billy Maddison said "I think Donkey Kong on the Super Nintendo is the best game ever made."
    Then, he steps into 3 dimensions and fullfills me again.
    Just leave it to Shigeru.