Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for reviews/thoughts of Generation NEX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking for reviews/thoughts of Generation NEX

I'm sure I'm not the only person (not at CGE) to hear some hands-on on the new Messiah system, so if you got a chance to play around with it let us all know. We were all wondering about at the Dallas show!!

Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Looking for reviews/thoughts of Generation NEX

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    I'm sure I'm not the only person (not at CGE) wanting to hear some hands-on on the new Messiah system, so if you got a chance to play around with it let us all know. We were all wondering about at the Dallas show!!

Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Looking for reviews/thoughts of Generation NEX

Double post. Sorry.
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looked pretty friggin cool. But at $60 its a bit of a luxury item. It frontloads NES and toploads famicom I think.
    By the time I got there though they had finished selling all of the pre-orders.

The coolest thing about it though was the manual. It came in an NES style game sleeve and it looked like a game but then you pull it out and WOW its actually a manual.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know if it plays PAL titles? I really like the idea of the machine (no more blinking screens of doom!) but it's not really any good to me if I have to go and buy all my games in NTSC! Thanks in advance
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did they have a running system? How accurate was the audio and video? Did they demonstrate it running games that are typically incompatible with cheapy clones?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks cool, but I stick with the original NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that looks cool

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Why? Is it just the money thang? Or weren't you impressed?
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no clue about audio cause I couldn't hear it but it looks good. The picture is real clear. The actual unit is pretty.... nice and small. The $60 dollar price tag is a little steep, but considering that original NES's are going for 50ish it isn't that steep. It gets my thumbs up so far.....
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Well, I have to say...

I have to say that I was pretty dissapointed with only pre production units only being able to be sold at the show. It would not be such a bad thing, but several exclusives(Intellivision carts, Sega Genesis RPG, and this) were delayed at the very end, which was a triple let down....
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Lambrini
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Why? Is it just the money thang? Or weren't you impressed?
    He wasn't at CGE. Not sure why he is posting in here when he hasn't seen or played the system.

I was impressed with the packaging and form of the system. I would say that if you are looking at getting a second system or want a machine to play famicom games on without having to mess with that #%^ing Honey Bee convertor, then this is the system for you. People can scoff at the $60 price, but if you consider what shitty famiclones are going for, it's a good deal. Rememer that it is $60 SHIPPED if you order from their website.

This unit is of WAY higher quality than a famiclone. Two seperate cart slots, AND wireless support? And it looks really sweet. It's one thing to see some pics on the internet, but it's something else to see it in person. Messiah went all out to make this thing look as cool and professional as possible. The system does not come with the wireless controllers, but does come with a VERY nice set of wired controllers. They are ergonomic like the wireless jobs, but smaller. Not too small, but a nice compact size. They have regular A and B buttons along with (if I remember correctly) turbo buttons, and they have A and B shoulder buttons as well. They also have a normal "+" style d-pad.

As was mentioned by someone else, the manual is also awesome. It is the same shape and thickness as a NES cart. It contains a manual for the system, as well as a "lite" version of the NES section of the DP-guide, which I think is really cool. Messiah also made their own NES cartridge dust sleeves, which is what the manual comes with. The dust covers are shiny black plastic with a red Messiah logo on the side. Very cool. They were selling the sleeves by themselves at their CGE booth for $1 each. Unfortunately I forgot to pick some up before the show was over.

The only thing I can really knock it for is that it is still a NES-on-a-chip, and that means that it isn't perfect. But I don't think that any NES-redux is going to be. I will say that after talking to Brad from Messiah, it is obvious that he is committed to putting the best product out that he can, and he has worked to put out the most compatible system that he can. He told me that there are only two NES games that he is aware of that will not work with the NES. Out of ~650, 2 is pretty damned good.

Like I said, if you want to pick up a second system and you want something classier than a dirt-mall famiclone, then this system rocks.

Chris

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was also impressed with the NEX. I didn't have too much time to check it out, but I pre-ordered mine. It looks awesome and I've been pleased with everything that Messiah has released so far. I can't wait to get mine. On top of it all, I think that it's super cool that the wireless receiver is built in.

Best,
    Jarett

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After seeing the system I had to get one. Played it a bit a CGE. The thing looked AWESOME!! I preordered right away. Just a litle disappointed that it didn't come with wireless controllers that way you can do away with the controller ports on the system. I can see the reasoning behind why they did it but I think it would look a lot smoother without. My personal grudge but a minute one. Love the system and can't wait to actually have my own.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    The only thing I can really knock it for is that it is still a NES-on-a-chip, and that means that it isn't perfect. But I don't think that any NES-redux is going to be. I will say that after talking to Brad from Messiah, it is obvious that he is committed to putting the best product out that he can, and he has worked to put out the most compatible system that he can. He told me that there are only two NES games that he is aware of that will not work with the NES. Out of ~650, 2 is pretty damned good.

Like I said, if you want to pick up a second system and you want something classier than a dirt-mall famiclone, then this system rocks.

Chris
    Just two NES games, but how many NES peripherials and cheat carts are also not compatible? Again, the same questions can also be asked with regards to Famicom games, peripherials, etc.

The USA version of the Neofami sells for between $20 and $30 new on Ebay, and most likely uses the same crappy NES-on-a-chip as the NEX, regardless of what the marketting hype says. The main flaw of the USA version Neofami is the placement of its controller ports is done in a way that makes it incompatible with various NES peripherials that have to plug into two controller ports simulaneously.

Compatibility is one thing, but there is also the inaccurate audio and video. The NES-on-a-chip clones are less accurate that the highend software emulators such as FCE Ultra and Nintendulator. This means that the colors are off, sounds are off tune or missing, and sometimes there are additional graphical and sound glitches that are not present on official Nintendo hardware or even highend emulation. The benefit to not emulating is perfect accuracy and compatibility: you play the games the way they were designed to be played. So if I am going to sacrifice compatibility and accuracy, I'd rather just save my money and go with a good software based emulator like Nintendulator, and hook up my laptop to the TV.

Though I am too picky for that, so I will just stick with my official toploading Nintendo AV Famicom, which is compatible with all NES and Famicom games and peripherials. I so much wanted the NEX to be an AV Famicom replacement, as it seemed as if Messiah was going the extra mile with Famicom and NES compatibility without adapters and built in wireless without adapters. But it seems as if they never owned a Famicom, as the NEX apparently lacks the Famicom controller port which has a different plug shape than the NES and it is used for Famicom controllers, the Family BASIC Keyboard (really cool device), and many other peripherials.

It is also a shame that they didn't go the extra mile and add S-video, as not even the official NES and Famicom systems output S-video. So I guess if I was going to create a wishlist for the NEX 2, if such a thing is ever made, it would be an AV Famicom with a front loading NES cart slot (like the NEX), and S-video out.

I still might buy the current NEX, but I am going to wait for a detailed review by somebody deeply familiar with the Famicom, NES, and the NES-on-a-chip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jagasian, that seems a little jaded. Why don't you list a couple of common games that have problems with the NeoFamis so that anybody who went home with an NEX can test out if they have the same issues with the NEX.
    Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy
    Jagasian, that seems a little jaded. Why don't you list a couple of common games that have problems with the NeoFamis so that anybody who went home with an NEX can test out if they have the same issues with the NEX.
    Seconded.

Were you even at the show Jagasian? Leroy is asking for the opinion of people who have personally seen/played with the system. Nowhere in your post do you even suggest that you have any firsthand knowledge of the system. Do you know for a fact that it is the same NES-on-a-chip that other famiclones use? I'm not trying to bash you here, but I agree with Leroy that your post sounds a little bit jaded. Actually, I'll go a step further and say that your post makes you sound like an ass. Here is a company that is trying to make a higher quality Famiclone that hardcore gamers might appreciate more, and you march into this thread and go on a, unsubstantiated diatribe about why it sucks. As far as I am concerned, the fact that it has a famicom port AT ALL is a bonus, and it's worth the $60 without it. You want to complain because it isn't compatible with Famicom peripherals that 99.9% of the people who might by the NEX don't have anyway? Are you going to bitch because it isn't compatible with the FDS too?

Chris

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I asked Brad about games that it won't play and he said either that none of the NES games that weren't licensed through Nintendo wouldn't work or some wouldn't I don't remember for sure. It has to do with the fact that they couldn't copy Nintendo's chip, they actually asked Nintendo about using their chips. According to the faq it is not a NES on a chip:
    "Q: Does it contain custom ICs, or is it based around the NOAC [NES-on-a-chip] that most "clone" consoles are based around?
    A: Our IC is a custom designed IC that is built on the NES algorithm. Every attention to detail has been spent on compatibility."
    http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/gnex_faq.htm

later,
    Charles
    [url]WWW.EVG2000.com[/url]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Were you even at the show Jagasian? Leroy is asking for the opinion of people who have personally seen/played with the system. Nowhere in your post do you even suggest that you have any firsthand knowledge of the system. Do you know for a fact that it is the same NES-on-a-chip that other famiclones use?
    Famiclones have been using the same basic NES-on-a-chip for at least a decade now. It is notorious for its problems. The current popular clone, commonly referred to as the "Neofami", comes in two flavors: Famicom and NES. When Messiah first announced the NEX, they mentioned that it was compatible with the NES and the Neofami. That is where I first got the understanding that the NEX was most likely using the same exact NES-on-a-chip as the Neofami, as why else would they have listed those two consoles as the platforms which it is compatible with, if it is not based on Neofami technology? Furthermore, the Famicom and NES versions of the Neofami are known to have compatibility issues with some games, inaccurate audio and video with others, etc.

Messiah tried to dispell the NoaC rumors with a FAQ filled with non-answers and marketing speech. Incompatibility with peripherials is obvious by noting issues with past NoaC Famiclones and the fact that the system lacks the Famicom controller port and the cart slot size for NES games seems to make it incompatible with various unlicensed carts.

I'm not trying to bash you here... you sound like an ass.
    I think your self contradicting ad hominem attack speaks for itself. Such attacks are entirely inappropriate for a discussion about a video game console.

Here is a company that is trying to make a higher quality Famiclone that hardcore gamers might appreciate more, and you march into this thread and go on a, unsubstantiated diatribe about why it sucks.
    I have substantiated my remarks. If a piece of electronics hardware has flaws, I see no problem with being upfront about them. Messiah has not been upfront about them, as demonstrated by their FAQ. Note Q/A's #2, #7, #8, #9, #11, and #12, which are either misleading or vacuous. How hard is it to try playing one of the aforementioned carts or peripherials?

As far as I am concerned, the fact that it has a famicom port AT ALL is a bonus, and it's worth the $60 without it.
    Do you realize that the USA version of the Neofami regularly sells for under $30, new mint in box, on Ebay?

You want to complain because it isn't compatible with Famicom peripherals that 99.9% of the people who might by the NEX don't have anyway?
    How do you know that only 99% of the people who might buy the NES don't have any Famicom peripherials?

Are you going to bitch because it isn't compatible with the FDS too?
    It isn't compatible with the FDS? Are you sure about that? Most NoaC Famiclones are compatible with the FDS.

In conclusion, when the system is claimed to be compatible with the NES and the Famicom, it is fair and responsible to critique incompatibilities, bugs, and inaccuracies with NES and Famicom games and peripherials. It is unfair, however, to personally attack somebody mearly for informing people about something that somebody is trying to sell them. Would you attack consumer reports for commenting on compatibility issues with some other electronic device, such as a DVD player that had compatibility problems? Capitalism only works when the consumers are educated about the product.

When it comes to the Famicom/NES, I am as big a fan as anybody else, and that is why I am very critical of clones of the Famicom/NES. If the system has accurate audio, video, and good game and peripherial compatibility, I will buy one in a heart beat. I've bought Messiah's wireless SNES controller, but find its D-pad very problematic. If they make a "plus" style D-pad, I'll buy one in a heart beat, and if I like it, I'll come back for an entire box more. I am very eager to buy Messiah's products... but they have to be of good quality.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evg2000
    I asked Brad about games that it won't play and he said either that none of the NES games that weren't licensed through Nintendo wouldn't work or some wouldn't I don't remember for sure. It has to do with the fact that they couldn't copy Nintendo's chip, they actually asked Nintendo about using their chips. According to the faq it is not a NES on a chip:
    "Q: Does it contain custom ICs, or is it based around the NOAC [NES-on-a-chip] that most "clone" consoles are based around?
    A: Our IC is a custom designed IC that is built on the NES algorithm. Every attention to detail has been spent on compatibility."
    http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/gnex_faq.htm

later,
    Charles
    That the answer does not say that it is not a NES-on-a-chip. It as well as most of the other Q/A's in that FAQ are filled with vague responses. Designing a new NES clone from scratch is highly unlikely, as the R&D and production costs alone would require Messiah to sell an extremely large number of systems! The Atari 2600 scene has only recently seen such a development with the Flashback 2.0, but that was only after the Flashback 1.0, which was based on a NES-on-a-chip, sold 500,000 systems. Hence the Flashback 2.0 had plenty of money gained from the first system to help fund R&D and production.

It won't be hard to tell if the NEX uses the NoaC or not. All it will take is for somebody to open up the NEX and take a look at the insides. The NoaC has a known pin-out. For those that aren't up to date on their Famiclone knowledge, check out this thread which contains a detailed review of the Neofami.

Still at $30 for a new Neofami, you are still probably better off with a professionally refurbished classic NES.