Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theoretical Laseractive question

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Theoretical Laseractive question

Would it be possible to make an Atari 2600 module (PAC-A10, perhaps)?

I know nothing about electronics, but I kind of thought that the Sega module was just the guts of a Genesis in a little box. In that case it would be pretty easy to make a 2600 module. I'm probably wrong though.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would doubt it highly. The interface in the box also interacts with the player so that you can play Sega CD/ Turbo CD/ and Laseractive based games. I don't think the port is mearly a video transfer with a power hookup. Regardless, way too much work for the apparent outcome.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I would say it IS possible.

The insides of a LaserActive have NO active Genesis or TurboGrafx technology inside, so as you'd presume, all of the hardware is in the attachment. Although those two systems also interface with the LaserActive CD/LD drive, it doesn't mean they HAVE to - both of the expansion units also play cartridges with no CD/LD in the tray.

As such, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, though as SamuraiX says, probably too much work to achieve the desired result.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'd probably be easier to make an expansion module for Colecovision or supersystem for Inty2 than for LD.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But just think if someone did make it, and it was able to interface with the LaserActive CD drive, then you could load games off of cds, Supercharger games, homebrews/hacks without a cuttle cart.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The answer is: ABSOLUTELY.

The technology is 16-bit and the module is the only thing that enable you to play either TurboGrafx hucards or Genesis carts. With the size of Japanese NES, it's even possible to have a Nintendo module. Economicly, no one would do it. Just look at how many accessories are out there for LaserActive

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stand corrected. And I know vince & dp know their stuff. Take lots of pics if you decide to give it a go and have success!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take lots of pics if you decide to give it a go and have success!
    Ha! I'd need to get a Laseractive first. I just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion. I think it's a really neat system and I've been wondering what's possible with it. I read that someone was making a 32X that would be compatible with the Sega module. I don't know how well that would work, but a Master System converter would be cool.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just look at how many accessories are out there for LaserActive
    Woah. If you have the PAC-PC1 module, why is it still listed in the Rumor Mill on the DP list?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

YES! Tell us about the PC1 module?! I've NEVER seen one before, figures you have a boxed one!

Tell me tell me tell me.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DP, yup, it's the rarest module of all LaserActive, followed by TurboGrafx PAC-N10. The devise is used to hook up between the CLD-A100 and 386 computer (it's very dated), don't know how it works though.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Any idea what it would sell for? Or should I use "0" (insufficient data) for the value?

Also you say it connects to a PC, but previous research shows the module PLAYS PC CD-ROM games (perhaps 386-compatible). So that's not entirely accurate - you need a PC to connect to?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Any idea what it would sell for? Or should I use "0" (insufficient data) for the value?

Also you say it connects to a PC, but previous research shows the module PLAYS PC CD-ROM games (perhaps 386-compatible). So that's not entirely accurate - you need a PC to connect to?
    DP, well this is the perfect timing for such discussion as there's one PAC-PC1 on eBay now, I've only seen this on eBay twice in 3 years and I've place the beginning bid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2&category=187

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7&category=187

I seriously doubt I can win at those prices but I had to halt potential BIN offer by placing the bid, this way we can check the current value more accurately.

It's a bit difficult to determine the value, last time back in 2000, one Indonesian seller on eBay offered a complete PAC-PC1, box unit for $400 and it took him 3 weeks to sell. I got mine though a package deal from Yahoo Japan which the seller didn't list the item names properly and I lucked out, got the items for much less.

and YES, you'll have to hook the unit with 386 computer, supposedly the 386 computer doesn't have CD-Rom drive and this devise let you play CD-Rom on your CLD-A100 plater.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Take lots of pics if you decide to give it a go and have success!
    Ha! I'd need to get a Laseractive first. I just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion. I think it's a really neat system and I've been wondering what's possible with it. I read that someone was making a 32X that would be compatible with the Sega module. I don't know how well that would work, but a Master System converter would be cool.

Keir, I have one extra LaserActive system for sale that I can offer this for $220, you'll get Sega Genesis module and MegaLD game Pyramid Patrol. The unit doesn't have the specific Sega control pad and the remote has one tiny chip, anyone interested please PM me, the unit works like champ, perfectly smooth LD running and loading of tray, and the player is mint. You may be able to get one from eBay for slightly less but be careful about what are offered (I've had one dead player and another damaged via shipping)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

That's crazy!

So you plug your CD-ROM ribbon cable into the back of it? Or is it a parallel port? The dummy running the auction puts his name over the front of the unit, hard to get a good look at it.

Bizarre!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have an extra US Turbo PAC laying around let me know. Something I've wanted for a long time but... well... not really easy to find. I have a few LA games I wouldn't mind trying out.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    That's crazy!

So you plug your CD-ROM ribbon cable into the back of it? Or is it a parallel port? The dummy running the auction puts his name over the front of the unit, hard to get a good look at it.

Bizarre!
    DP, that's correct, it's parellel port and I think you hook that portion with a printer. the complete set also comes with a floppy disk that install the LaserActive program into the computer, email me and I'll give you images of the complete set through PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samuraiX
    If you have an extra US Turbo PAC laying around let me know. Something I've wanted for a long time but... well... not really easy to find. I have a few LA games I wouldn't mind trying out.
    SamuraiX, any reason you want TurboGrafx module in particular? The only difference is PC-E module (PAC-N1) plays PC-E hucards, and Turbo (PAC-N10) plays TurboGrafx hucards, CD games, as well as LD-Rom2 games which are universally compatible, there's no territorial lock on LaserActive games. With Arcade Card Duo on PC-E module, you can also play ACD games. In other words, the only thing you'll miss from PC-E module is TurboGrafx hucard games which you can get the standard TurboGrafx system fairly cheap.

There're many more PC-E hucard games than there are on TurboGrafx, some US exclusive hucard games are craps anyway.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm well aware. But I am solely a US collector. Though the PAC-N1 is considerably easier to find in my experiencs I am holding out the find a US Turbo PAC-N10. I have a Turbo Duo and a few TurboGrafx systems that I can play the games so I am not in a big hurry. I am kinda curious how a few of the Laseractive games are that I bought a few years ago but I have a hard time opening new games that are that old. So I guess I'll have to stick with the only opened game I have.. Pyramid Patrol.

Thanks for the advice though!

-nate

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

folks, hurry and take a look at this auction, this is actually the complete PAC-PC1 set without the box, yes, there's another remote for the module, don't know why.

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c29860733

Unless you have Yahoo Japan ID, once the auction ends you won't be able to view the items, ask ?? during the next 2 days, I seriously doubt I can win at this price, it'll be ugly toward the end.