Thread: Reporting back from a developer conference...

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reporting back from a developer conference...

where to begin? I've taken in so much, but I don't know specifically what you guys know. I'll talk about the things that were new to me, so stop me if you've heard this one already. Feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best.

Square-Enix: Kingdom Hearts 2, and Final Fantasy XII will not be appearing in 2005. Dragonquest 8 will come packaged in a box, similar to Star Ocean. It will also contain a bonus disk with a playable demo of FFXII

Capcom: Resident Evil 4 for PS2 looks just as good as it did on Cube. It plays quite smoothly, too. Megaman Anniversary collection for GBA has been officially cancelled. The studio who was making it didn't live up to Capcom's standard (ie. the game was ass).

Elder Scolls Oblivion will be a launch day title for 360

Anyone playing Guild wars has probably heard of the next content update being delivered through a retail expansion pack. However, looks like we'll be seeing Guild Wars 2 instead.

Midway: Preordering LA Rush, will get you a free copy of Midway Arcade Trasures 3 (with classic Rush games). Gauntlet SS will come with an art cell.

Natsume: Chulip and Legend of the River King will not be making a 2005 showing. Look for them both in 2006. Also, Harvest moon a wonderful life special edition for PS2.

Prima is releasing a Pokemon strategy guide which covers ALL pokemon games to date.

Logitech is going to release a wireless gaming mouse with a removable weight cartridge that lets you customize the weight/drag/resistance of the mouse itself.

TMNT 3 will have Turtles in Time unlockable.

Nintendo: Mario DDR has the Japanese soundtrack intact (no Pink or Incubus this time). Zelda really isn't done yet. (some weird texturing issues when panning, etc.) Odama will not be showing in 2005, but is still in consideration for 2006. There will be two exclusive Nintendo DS Nintendogs bundles: the system will come in either Teal, or Pink and include a special edition of Nintendogs called "Best friends edition" in which the starting 6 dogs are the most popular 2 from each of the 3 versions. Also to follow, will be a Mariokart bundle which will include the game, and a red DS which can be customized with included racing decals. Each of these bundles will be appox. $10 more than the console on it own. There are several GC bundles in the works also. Pokemon XD with game, and custom Pokemon platinum system (the jewel had the Pokemon XD logo and a graphic of Lugia). Retail is $129 (canadian). To follow, will be bundles with Mario Party 7, and Mario Super Strikers (at the same retail as above).

Xbox 360. Yes, I have played it. The controller is pretty nice. A good feel, like the Controller S, but sleeker. I would have liked it to have a bit more weight though. The black and white buttons have been situated to the top, as shoulder buttons, and the triggers from the ol' box remain. It's rather awkward if you ever needed to push them in conbination. The console is running everything off USB. Even the wireless net adaptor (so you can't use the old one). It can stream music from a USB device (like an iPod, or PSP!). Dashboard interface is slick, and intuitive. You can even get it to pop up in the corner while you're watching TV to let you know something's finished downloading, or a friend is online. There were 2 game builds there: Perfect Dark and NFS Most Wanted (aka. FPS shooter, and racing game). As far as innovative gameplay, really nothing new here. It's all about textures. And the textures on the textures. And the light shining on the textures. Perfect Dark will be 2-player co-op splitscreen, system link, or Online.

Although, I've never played any of the other games in the series, or cared much for any military-based shooters, my game of the show goes to Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter for 360. Although, not playable, we were given a video presentation. I watched for a few minutes, then getting impatient, asked to see gameplay footage. They replied "this IS gameplay". Holy crap. It was the realism in movement that had me convinced. We've all seen good graphics, yeah, whatever. But the way that animation can be rendered so life like as to fool me into thinking that it's a cinematic? Brilliant. The clincher was near the end of the presentation when a building was detonated. Again, fantastically lifelike, with glass shattering, debris spewing, the building dynamically folding in on itself, and the resulting cloud of volumetric dust. Yeah. The dust effect alone made this one my winning choice.

Any questions? :P

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you get a chance to play Perfect Dark? If so what did you think?

Did they say if it would be available at launch or not?
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Megaman Anniversary collection for GBA has been officially cancelled. The studio who was making it didn't live up to Capcom's standard (ie. the game was ass).
    This is a Damn shame. Much Potential. That proto if it ever surfaces will be worth a ton IMHO.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by K3V
    Did you get a chance to play Perfect Dark? If so what did you think?

Did they say if it would be available at launch or not?
    Yes. It was...fine. I'm not much of a shooter fan, and it kinda seemed like all the other FPS's to me. I've never even played the original Perfect Dark. This particular build was about %75 done, and you could easily see what the other %25 needed work on. The textures/light effects were what stood out. They only let you demo one level ("Subway retrieval") and limited which weapons were usable -also played with cheat codes on, but whatever The level was HUGE with lots of variation, and no mid-level loading at all. They said that I'd be getting a copy "at launch" but I didn't think to ask whether that meant "System launch" or "game launch". How long does it take to finish %25 of a game? No idea.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the insider info. That'll be the game that makes or breaks the 360 for me at launch so I'm pretty interested. Hopefully Rare can pull it together for once since their heyday.
    \\ : NUON-Dome : / "The place to go for all things NUON." - Edge Magazine

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Sucks about Kingdom Hearts II and FFXII. I don't mind delays if they mean good games in the end, though.

You mentioned Elder Scroll IV: Oblivion will be out for the Xbox 360 at launch, which is now confirmed on Novemeber 22. What about the PC version? Same date? My computer can handle the PC port and I don't plan to get a 360 until sometime next year.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great information! Thanks for sharing!

I'm pleased the Xbox 360 controller feels good. It shows Microsoft can learn from their mistakes, and improve. The interface sounds sweet, too. I'm still going to wait a little while before buying, but I'm pretty confident the console will be a worthy addition to my collection.

As for Nintendo, Mario DDR had Incubus on the soundtrack? I love Incubus. Nintendo loves Incubus. Ergo, I love Nintendo.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, thanks! You should have a column here, seriously.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic_Pain
    Wow, thanks! You should have a column here, seriously.
    Your avatar makes me happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you know, I didn't confirm a PC release date for Oblivion. I was so caught up in 360 everything to even think about it. They're going to be sending me an hour-long press DVD shortly, so maybe they'll include more information with that. The DVD contains AI demos, tech displays, director commentary walkthroughs, etc. I can make copies for anyone interested (probably. I will have to wait and see on permissions)

Mario DDR does not have Incubus on it. I was just making a dig against Donkey Konga 2, but I guess nobody got it

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Re: Reporting back from a developer conference...

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSmurfette
    Capcom: Resident Evil 4 for PS2 looks just as good as it did on Cube. It plays quite smoothly, too.
    I figured that, but it's nice to hear anyway. Just count me as a Cube owner who's tickled pink about more people getting a chance at this game.

Xbox 360: Although, not playable, we were given a video presentation. I watched for a few minutes, then getting impatient, asked to see gameplay footage. They replied "this IS gameplay".
    Just curious if you remember if what you were seeing was on HDTV. I'd be very impressed if you were "wowed" by what you saw on a standard television.

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Reporting back from a developer conference...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    Just curious if you remember if what you were seeing was on HDTV.
    Actually, it was RGB Scart (running on video-out off a laptop)

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

you know, I didn't confirm a PC release date for Oblivion. I was so caught up in 360 everything to even think about it. They're going to be sending me an hour-long press DVD shortly, so maybe they'll include more information with that. The DVD contains AI demos, tech displays, director commentary walkthroughs, etc. I can make copies for anyone interested (probably. I will have to wait and see on permissions)
    I would be most interested in that DVD if you can manage to copy some off