Thread: Your thoughts on NHL 2K6

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your thoughts on NHL 2K6

Well I got it, can't help myself at that price. Not to mention I always get a hockey game every year. I have yet to play it much yet, and I lower the difficulty settings initially so I can unlock all classic teams quicker, thats what a really love the espn series for now. I know its not espn now, but to me it still is. So really I cannot pass a good judgement due to my settings. Its when I unlock all teams, rename all players, that my fun begins.

I am sorta disappointed in the selection of classic teams, I hoped for more. I also hoped for a Quebec team with the Stastny brothers. However we did get a triple crown LA team with Marcel Dionne. I really like the idea of 72 Canada vs Russia. Other thing they should do is read your save\hard drive to unlock and rename all classic teams from old game and import to new game, and then concentrate on addding more classic teams (then I dont have to rename players on teams that I did last year) .... and not as many 90s, give me more 60s to 80s. Possibly an idea is to include all Stanley cup winners.
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

I have always loved the 2K hockey series, like you, i get one every year. Except I usually never unlock everything, cause there is so much to unlock. I have yet to pick up the newer one, is it as good as the others?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have seen numerous reviews on the 2K6 game and all of them mention that it just isn't the same game anymore. Apparently EA's game is better after years of taking a back seat to ESPN. I never could play a hockey videogame to save my life because I even found the easy settings on all games to be too difficult. (I had trouble learning to pass to someone that I couldn't see on-screen, then take control of that player before the action went elsewhere) Along came ESPN NHL 2K5....and with the tons of tweaks that could be done to the settings I was able to learn to play a hockey game. Every day I was able to crank the settings closer to default and would usually find myself upping the levels mid game. It's the perfect hockey game for me because I CAN play it and I was looking forward to the new one, but with the poor reviews out there I have decided to stick with what ain't broke.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it as good as the others... as I said, I don't consider my opinion true yet due to the settings I am using (only for the purpose of unlocking). When I raise the difficulty I will pass judgement.

I can say I like the feel of the physics, playing graphics are good. Graphics at team selection are too small numbers are hard to read. I have not played Pro control. In my opinion it is not needed. I am sorta disappointed in the classic team selections, too many the same from last year and some teams left out that I think should be there.

Overall I am liking it so far

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ended up buying both of them.

First, EA really did put out of a better game this year than 2K6. The puck physics are amazing, even bouncing off the sticks on passes and the ability to pinpoint where you want a wrist/snap/slapshot to go. The also toned down the defense tremendously, actually allowing you to pass and move the puck around in your own zone.

However, as far as presentation goes 2K6 still has the crown. The replays and commentary are still better in this game.

With both titles coming out for lower than average price points (EA@29.99 and NHL2K6@19.99) it is really going to boil down to personal preference. And thank god for no exclusive deal the the NHLPA yet, because both these games are a hockey fans dream.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found NHL 2k6 to be a more enjoyable game, there were some issues involving replay angles and I found that what worked in 2k2 to win still works in 2k6. Picking up the controller I was able to win 17-1 on 10 minute periods on normal difficultly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is easy. If you want an arcade hockey game with more style then substance go with EA. If you want a more realistic sim like game go with 2K. I mean the 2K game has about 4 times as many functions you can do on the controller compared to the EA game. 2K has alot of bugs tho. Way more then should be in a finished game. Kush are the king of buggy games.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd2000
    This is easy. If you want an arcade hockey game with more style then substance go with EA. If you want a more realistic sim like game go with 2K. I mean the 2K game has about 4 times as many functions you can do on the controller compared to the EA game. 2K has alot of bugs tho. Way more then should be in a finished game. Kush are the king of buggy games.
    You are about a year late for that comment. Last year and the year before I would have agreed with you, but if you played this years EA NHL 2006 you wouldn't be making such a comment. They are really on par with each other for realism/sim quality this year.