Thread: My mom bought a DS for herself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My mom bought a DS for herself?

I was talking to my mom this morning on the phone and when she told me that she went a bought a Nintendo DS I started laughing and then I thought it was pretty cool.

A few years ago when I was at home my mom was watching me play Beyond Good and Evil and was really intrigued by the game and asked me if I thought there were any games she could play. She said "you know us old people need something to keep up our hand eye coordination" I thought about it and set her up with Chu Chu Rocket for the GBA. She kind of got it but I don't think it really clicked.

Fast forward to about a month ago I'm at home and I show her Zoo Keeper for the DS. I figured this would be perfect for her since there are no buttons to press and the concept is pretty easy to understand. I was home for about a week and my mom drained the DS battery twice. I asked her if she wanted me to leave it for her since I could always get a new one and she said "oh no I don't need one". I now know that's not true.

I'm still pretty surprised that my mom went into a game store and bought herself a DS. My mom is 56 years old and neither me or my sister have lived at home for over 9 years so its not like she's trying to play games with us. She now has one game (Zoo Keeper) and is already looking for more she said the guy at the store recommended Nintendogs and I said yeah you might like that. Anybody have any recommendations for my mom?

I'm thinking my mom will probably like the Revolution too.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's cool that your mom would actually buy herself a DS. I got my mom to play Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast way back in the day and she was nice enough to let me beat her on it several hundred times...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Animal Crossing sucked my mom into the GameCube. Now my parents take one with them on the road as they motorhome across the grand ol' USA.

Dad bought the GB adaptor so that he can get his Dr. Mario fix without having to tote around an NES (Although I prefer Dr Mario in color). The man is amazing. He starts off on level 20, and doesn't take more than two tries to complete it. That's a gmae they need as the 20 million dollar finalist, not Bejeweled.

Since then mom has played some Harvest Moon, but didn't care for it as much as Animal Crossing. Dad said he enjoyed it though. The Sims of course, considering she played each expansion for the original PC version. Now she has the Sims 2 from what I understand, or the Urbz or something. The own Legend of Zelda : Master Quest, but I don't believe it gets played. They also have a PS1, but I think it's obsolete in that household these days. Used to play a lot of Fishermans Bait ; A Bass Challenge.

Sorry I can't recommend more DS games for your mom, but I wanted to reminisce on my old folks too. They are 61 and 59.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your mom might like Polarium. I just got it the other day. You trace lines until they disappear. It's as simple as Zoo Keeper and just as challenging.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

She might like mr.driller or yoshi, both simple games with minimal controls.
    Also she might also like lost in blue, if shes that advanced, because Im sure that game will have alot of interaction.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mom just got herself a DS too She got herself Nintendogs with it but I plan on getting her a bunch of good stuff.
    I know she'll like Zookeeper, Polarium,Animal crossing,and probably some card games.
    Support Medical Marijuana

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hrmm.... maybe Nintendo isn't completely crazy when they talk about the DS and Revolution attracting a wider, non-gamer audience...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your parents are totally hip and with it, dude.

Who uses 'dude' anymore anyway?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaloup
    Hrmm.... maybe Nintendo isn't completely crazy when they talk about the DS and Revolution attracting a wider, non-gamer audience...
    I was kind of thinking that too. After all my mom has never played any of my video games before and I've never tried to get her to play any of them she just one day decided she wanted to play them. kind of wierd. I wonder how Nintendo will market to this age group if they do think they are potential customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily
    My mom just got herself a DS too Big Smile She got herself Nintendogs with it Eye Rolling
    How does your mom like Nintendogs? I wonder if my mom would like it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    Your parents are totally hip and with it, dude.
    I don't think so my mom is one of those new age mom's that made me eat all sorts of weird shit growing up and not let me watch MTV and stuff. I think that's why I was even more surprised when she bought a DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    Who uses 'dude' anymore anyway?
    people from San Diego at least the people I know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sweet..

My mom is defiantly not a gamer, though the only game she ever played was Virtuafighter 2.. Which she is stellar at for some reason

Oh, and that bejeweled cell phone game

Dad is stellar at daytona usa.. He got a record time of a 14 second lap in Daytona usa for saturn

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game playing moms

My mom has been a huge fan of Dr. Mario and Tetris for years (on the NES and Gameboy, respectively).

Back in the day we used to fight over NES time.

Today I was looking through my boxes of game stuff and got to my NES box, and oh my, I still have Dr. Mario.

I set it up on the living room tv and her eyes sort of lit up, and she proceeded to play it for 2 hours straight.

Tetris/Dr. Mario: Unbreakable addicitions.
    Amateur Sega Nut: SMS: 8 Megadrive: 13 Mega CD: 4 Saturn: 67 Dreamcast: 44

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zoo Keeper kicks ASS, dude. Good choice.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool... Sounds like she likes the puzzle games, I would tell her to get Meteos.
    Sonic is a bitch, all he can do is run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mom steals my DS every now and then. she likes the zoo keeper, but more than that, she loves Meteos. she's drained the battery on it a few times, and has definitely played more of it than i have. i don't think she'll be shelling out for her own any time soon though...
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Necromutant
    Cool... Sounds like she likes the puzzle games, I would tell her to get Meteos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekar
    My mom steals my DS every now and then. she likes the zoo keeper, but more than that, she loves Meteos. she's drained the battery on it a few times, and has definitely played more of it than i have. i don't think she'll be shelling out for her own any time soon though...
    I love Meteos too but I thought it would be too fast paced for her. You should see how paniced she gets at the end of a Zoo Keeper game

I'm going home this next weekend so I'll let her try Meteos and see what happens.

Off Topic:
    Home is in Oregon and I've got tickets to see Oregon play #1USC Go Ducks!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: My mom bought a DS for herself?

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Anybody have any recommendations for my mom?
    She might like WarioWare Touched.

It's a good one.