Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collecting Consoles vs. Collecting Arcade Machines

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would love to start collecting arcades, but there is no room to put them anywhere and genesis games are alot cheaper right now.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, what I like most about arcade collecting is the fact that there is almost always some restoration that's required when I get a machine. Rather than just buying a cart off of Ebay, tossing it in the system to see if it works and plopping it on the shelf, there's much more work involved. Sure, guys like Omnedon, DoubleDown, and anyone else into modding or repairing stuff has a lot of work to do, but it isn't the case for the majority of collectors. I'm not too interested in fully-working, new machines, and enjoy fixing them up. It's something that I can't do with the consoles.

Some people might also be surprised at people who show up at auctions. I've seen alot of people who never really stepped foot in an arcade at them. I don't think that this is just a "reclaiming my youth" thing.

To me, there are also some interesting debates in arcade collecting, MAME vs dedicated, cocktails vs. uprights, bootlegs vs. originals, repro parts vs. original parts, JAMMA vs. the classics.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    To me, there are also some interesting debates in arcade collecting, MAME vs dedicated
    MAME is ok on a PC, but I hate MAME cabs - dedicated is the only way to go

cocktails vs. uprights
    I used to think cocktails were cool, but really, they take up more floor space and are less comfortable to play.

bootlegs vs. originals
    Bootlegs can die.

repro parts vs. original parts
    This one doesn't matter so much to me - whatever gets your game working and looking good. Admittedly, though, original always seems nicer.

JAMMA vs. the classics.
    I enjoy JAMMA games and have a big collection of JAMMA-based games. For cabinet collecting, though, it's classics only. JAMMA games tend to be conversions and/or have very little interesting artwork and style to them. I generally see JAMMA games as something you have one or two cabinets for and swap out the boards. The classic, dedicated stuff is where the art, style, and - in my opinion - cabinet collectibility value is.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Inferior - No.

But I do enjoy collecting arcade games more than I do consloe games. There's nothing like a good arcade auction.

I like the restoration process. With consoles, it's just luck - hoping you'll find a nice haul, still in good/mint condition. Even if you find an arcade game in crappy condition, the best part is getting your hands dirty, getting a few friends over to help, and fix the machine.

Plus everytime your friends come over to play, you make money!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To the people that painstakingly restore battered & unloved arcade machines, i salute you

Im mainly a console gamer nowdays but i have a eternal respect for arcade machines, there not just games they are living pieces of history.

Id love to own a room full of arcade machines but space & money stop me from doing it. Theres somthing cool about owning & playing a game in its original cabinet.

If i had a choice of just one game id pick rainbow islands as its got enough secrets in it to keep you playing forever, sad thing is im nearly 30 & i have never EVER seen an original rainbow islands cabinet (are they super rare or somthing??). I gave up my search as hopeless & decided to get a pinball table instead.

I thought with pinball that although the game is always the same, the ball is wild so you never have the same game twice. Ahh i love my twilight zone i have played for months yet i still havent seen every bonus it has to offer.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah arcade machines, once i get all the consoles i would like to start getting old atari arcades and some nintendo as well plus a sega one. Only problem is there huge,and im packed in my room right now,maybe when i get a house, then ill get alot (25 or 30...Maybe more....
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I'd personally rather just build my own...