Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever Get a Game Before the System to Play It?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Twice that I can remember, both times because of Zelda games. I bought Classic NES Series Legend of Zelda on GBA for $14.99 because I wanted the free Mario Shirt that came with it (buy a Zelda Game, get a Mario shirt, figure they'd have a Zelda shirt, but whatever). I got a GBA SP for christmas that year.

The other time was during a 50% off classic games at ebgames. Grabbed Zelda: Link to the past for a cool $3, knowing that I would one day again own a Super Nintendo. Took about a year and a half to find one cheap, but it was worth the wait not having to pay ridiculous eBay prices.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So my fiancee and I went in EBgames a couple of months ago- we were gonna get a Wii and stuff for it. We got Twilight Princess, but as we were ringing up, we found out that there were no Wiis in stock... went ahead and got TP anyway. Got the Wii a few days later by camping at Circuit City.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

I'm "this close" (holds thumb and pointer finger really close) to getting Oblivion for either the Xbox 360 or the PC when I am nowhere near ready to afford either an Xbox 360 no a PC on which to play it. But I really, really want it.

I did have Return to Pirate's Isle for years before getting a TI-99/4a on which to play it.

Oh, and I bought the PS2 hard drive bundled with Final Fantasy XI knowing it was a safe bet that it wouldn't work in my Korean-made, modded PS2. It wasn't for another year that I got around to getting a US, heavy, PS2 on which to play it for about a month. Now I'm just waiting to get a longer ethernet patch cable so I can play it a little more.

I forgot, I also got Abe's Oddysey, Tomb Raider and Parasite Eve about two years before I was even thinking about getting a PSX. The reason at the time being I was really excited about Bleem! and I wanted to try it out with these titles.
    Last edited by mezrabad; 02-13-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added the part about Bleem!
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Gamecube
    Saturn

Currently PSP, I have 5 games hopefully a TV adaptor will come out so I don't have to buy the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought only 1 game for PC-Engine CD and 1 game for Playstation 2. And some Lynx games. Still need those systems :P
    Also got some more PS2 and X-Box games but these were for free

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I secured World Heroes Perfect in late 1998 before I even bought a Saturn. At the time, I thought of WHP as some rare holy grail, so getting it was priority #1.

SNES, well, technically I bought it on the same day I started buying a heapload of games for it, but when it finally arrived 1/30/06, I already had maybe 50 games at home waiting for me to play...

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In 1992 I purchased the SCD PC-Engine game Macross 2036 from Die-Hard Games, a full (2) weeks before buying the TurboGrafx 16 + CD-ROM add on at reduced price from Babbages. Back then I was that insane over the SDF Macross Japanimation that I felt it worth the purchase. I didn't discover until much later that while I could play the game with the standard CD Hu Card, the SCD 2.0 Card unlocked the in-game cinema scenes in that particular game. Of course I ended up with a nice collection of mostly import games for the TG16/PCE, but I mainly wanted the system to play Macross and bought the game first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I bought Twilight Princess without having a gamecube. When I realized that gamecubes were still kinda expensive, I took the game back. Later I got the game for Wii. I'm currently stuck in the game somewhere.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I found Checkered Flag in a thrift store several years ago, long before I had an Atari Jaguar. I actually ordered a Jaguar online because I wanted something to play the game on. Sure, it wasn't a good game but the fact that I had it prompted me to pick up the Jaguar ahead of some other systems I may not have already owned games for.

Same thing with Virtua Fighter II on the Sega Saturn. Since I already had the game, I didn't hesitate to overpay by around $10 for a used Saturn that I found one summer. If I'd gotten it online, I still would have paid that extra $10, or so, to have it shipped to me.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When Toys R Us had a buy two get one free sale I bought three Xbox 360 games before I had a 360. I either ordered one or was going to very soon, so I didn't want to miss out on the sale even if I didn't have the games yet.

The games on my shelf tortured me every day as I longed to play them though.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I have Bowling for the Fairchild Channel F, but nothing to play it on. I have two new Nintendo DS games I bought cheap in a Goodwill, and yet no DS (with very little desire to buy one). Today, I bought 3 SNES games, but I have no console to play them on. I've also got 2 Super Famicom carts. I even have two or three Game.com titles unopened and waiting.

I had a pile of new Atari 5200 carts for years before getting a console. I bought Pyramid Patrol for the Pioneer Laseractive a week before buying the console, and it was nearly a couple of years before I found the Mega LD module the game required to play it. I had a couple Commodore 64 cartridges laying around for some time before I won the computer at Flack's table at OVGE last year. I've had a couple of TI-99/4A cartridges that work with the Milton Bradley Expansion system, but until late last year I didn't have an MBX to play with. I even had a few Palm OS games long before I picked up my Zodiac to play them on. Around 1989, my friend and I were going to a computer store out of business sale, but first we stopped at a pawn shop where I bought a few Intellivision games. At the computer store, I bought an Intellivision ECS. Later I realised that one of the games from the pawn shop was Mind Strike, which would only be playable on the ECS. Nice bit of serendipity there.
    Last edited by Steve W; 03-13-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I've done this before. In 2004 (When I was on a quest to find a copy of Final Fantasy VII), I finally found a copy of FF7. I bought it, and played it in an emulator until I finally bought a PSX a few months later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh.
    I've got a CIB Dreamcast collection - but no dreamcast
    Makes sense, doesn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have bought both Golden Sun games brand new (i even opened them and even bought the strategy guide) for the GBA and i still don't have a GBA or DS to play them on, one day i guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Done it once so far it was when i was switching from, AES to MVS on the NeoGeo setup.

While i was selling... the AES systems plus games i was buying MVS carts at the same time.

By the time i was done i didn't have the CMVS untile a month had gone by.

I remember the waiting part having all these carts and no system to 'try them out.

The day the, CMVS got here i was very excited like some kid getting a xmas present.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought Shape Shifter while waiting for the Turbo Duo to be released and my friend who didn't even own a Turbo CD like I did, bought Dragon Slayer because of the cool art and the fact that it was an RPG.

It was cool to see Dragon Slayer's System 3.0 warning screen. Too bad Shape Shifter's is just plain white text on a black screen.

Once I got my Duo, we got to play both and were very happy with the new format.

Soon after I sold him my Turbo CD and he mail ordered the System 3.0 card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember buying Donkey Kong Country before getting a Snes. I got Twilight Princess before I got a Wii.

Insert Coin (Level 0) eternalblue81's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I think I'm one of the worst when it comes to this. I have a whopping 41 Xbox games, and no Xbox. Only about 14 of them are backwards compatible on my 360, which is currently broken now, anyway. :/

At first I picked up new games for it here and there because I'd find new console-exclusives that I was interested in for less than $5 or so. Then when I got my 360 I continued buying Xbox games in hope that they'd be added to the backwards compatible list. Now I continue to buy used and new Xbox games because since the console's more or less dead, I'd rather find the games I want for it now, rather than later before the games start drying up and become harder to find.

I also have 12 PSP games and no PSP to play them on.. I'm pretty certain I'll get either an Xbox or PSP later this year, but I'm definitely waiting to see if the rumors about a redesigned PSP come to anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have tons of games for systems I don't own yet

if you can find a cheap game, then buy it fer christ's sakes
    Last edited by Magnum; 03-22-2007 at 12:20 AM.