Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP Movies now getting official ads

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSP Movies now getting official ads

After being amazed by how well PSP movies have been doing, I was still surprised yesterday to see a commercial for the upcoming release of Bewitched. At the end of the commercial, it said, "Coming to DVD and PSP on [whatever day]"

Is this a first time thing, or have other movies advertised the PSP version specifically?
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

i definitely have seen ads for movies coming out where they say coming to dvd and psp. i think i just saw kicking and screaming but im not 100% positive.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Nope, I've been seeing it a LOT lately.

I noticed the other week when I walked into Suncoast...the PSP is getting a LOT of CRAP movies released for it, I was shocked at the sheer volume of UMD movies they had! It's disgusting really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Nope, I've been seeing it a LOT lately.

I noticed the other week when I walked into Suncoast...the PSP is getting a LOT of CRAP movies released for it, I was shocked at the sheer volume of UMD movies they had! It's disgusting really.
    Another man's crap movie and another man's treasure movie. <Scurries off to watch Howard the Duck movie>

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad they weren't releasing games for the PSP in the numbers they are releasing movies. I've been noticing the PSP commercials now more often too, on paper advertisements more so than the video ones still.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kejoriv
    <Scurries off to watch Howard the Duck movie>

I just bought that movie, actually... I've never seen it, but plan to watch it soon...

Hey, if you like it, I know of at least one person who does!
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joelius
    Too bad they weren't releasing games for the PSP in the numbers they are releasing movies. I've been noticing the PSP commercials now more often too, on paper advertisements more so than the video ones still.
    While I don't want to get into that, really, I would just like to say that I find it very interesting that it seems the PSP will be more of a competitor with the upcoming iPod Video than with the NDS. It isn't a bad thing for Sony, but a year ago I would've thought it would've been crazy.

I wonder, in fact, how much of the iPod video's video capabilities was changed to "TV and movie" after they found out how well it was doing for Sony. I realize there was only six months of development time there, but I feel like Sony really proved people want and will pay a premium for portable movie and video watching devices.
    Dan Loosen

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    HardcoreXBL
    PSN
    HrdcrePSN
    Steam
    Brother_Daniel

Yep - people will pay $300 USD for a portable movie player when they can get a portable DVD player for a comparable price.

I forsee a "movie-only" version of a PSP very soon. Sony's pretty much admitted that they're losting the portable GAMING battle, but are winning the MOVIE battle.

I'm sorry, but I want a portable GAMING console, kplzthx.
    <Blackjax> YES!!! MIDGET WRESTLING ON THE SPANISH CHANNEL!!!!

Romans 3:23
    For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God
    Romans 5:8
    But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    Romans 6:23
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On DVD and UMD <------- first seen about 6 months ago
    On DVD and PSP <------ first seen about 2 months ago
    (UMD = PSP disc format)

That ad style has been on tv for a while now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

And, to think, they just stopped advertising for VHS within the last year or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore
    I forsee a "movie-only" version of a PSP very soon. Sony's pretty much admitted that they're losting the portable GAMING battle, but are winning the MOVIE battle.

I challenge you to show me anything where Sony has "admitted that they're losing the portable GAMING battle". The PSP has been a resounding success, not only in America but in Europe and Japan as well. It may not have sold as many units as the DS (yet), but at twice the price point it has brought in alot of revenue. A movie-only PSP doesn't make much sense for Sony, and won't happen. Liberty City Stories will be released next week, and it will sell systems.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just reading how UMD movies are gaining popularity faster than DVDs did.

The article said the first DVD movie, Air Force One, took 8 months to sell 100,000 copies while the first UMD, House of flying daggers, took only 2 months.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weren't there rumours of a umd movie player that connects to your tv thats coming out soon?

Anyways, I hate seeing the psp section filled with movies and like 3 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley

I challenge you to show me anything where Sony has "admitted that they're losing the portable GAMING battle". The PSP has been a resounding success, not only in America but in Europe and Japan as well. It may not have sold as many units as the DS (yet), but at twice the price point it has brought in alot of revenue. A movie-only PSP doesn't make much sense for Sony, and won't happen. Liberty City Stories will be released next week, and it will sell systems.
    I challenge you to show me anything to support that Liberty City Stories will sell systems. $300 + $50 to play a watered down version of an established genre on current gen systems? Yeah right. People who have PSPs will buy it, but no one is getting one just to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    I challenge you to show me anything to support that Liberty City Stories will sell systems. $300 + $50 to play a watered down version of an established genre on current gen systems? Yeah right. People who have PSPs will buy it, but no one is getting one just to play it.
    You've got to be kidding me. You are right? Of any game since the advent of this generation, the GTA series has been the very definition of a system seller. The anticipation for Liberty City Stories is as high as any previous version of the series. If you'd have been following any of the gaming media coverage of the game you would know that you could hardly call this brand-new chapter in the GTA saga "watered down." If any game series sells systems, it's GTA. This is either a joke, ignorance, personal bias, or some unholy combination of all three.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

I don't think I will ever buy a umd movie on purpose. one came with my system and the other I bought out of pity from a friend.

Unless of course they start ending up in the bargin bin for about 5 dollars each. then I'll think about it. after all I know how to rip and convert my own DVDs to play on my PSP why the heck would I need a stripped down version. (in terms of extras and such)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not taking sides here because every story has 3 sides anyway.

Sony to date has not released any statements or print media conceding "losing to Nintendo's DS". God knows if they did it would be in eleventy seven threads here and mods would not be able to lock them as fast as they appeared.

I also have not seen any (UMD) movie only hardware units being kicked around. I know a Sony hardware guy and he swears there is nothing on the horizon in the forseeable future. Personally I think it would make great sense. Use existing hardware and developed technology to generate more sales. Makes sense to me and the develpopement costs have been paved already. A unit that does not do games (games=expensive to produce, new hardware expensive to produce) but does movies and music can focus in on what Sony may seek outside the game unit market.

As far as Liberty City Stories selling units... It will influence its target group. GTA does have a huge fan base of casual gamers and game junkies alike. GTA sells. There is no questioning that. The whole "hot coffee" thing may only help there sales via fee publicity. Remember what they say in Hollywood, there is no bad publicity (to an extent). Will GTA reinvent the PSP itself? Doubtful.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've got to be kidding me. You are right? Of any game since the advent of this generation, the GTA series has been the very definition of a system seller. The anticipation for Liberty City Stories is as high as any previous version of the series. If you'd have been following any of the gaming media coverage of the game you would know that you could hardly call this brand-new chapter in the GTA saga "watered down." If any game series sells systems, it's GTA. This is either a joke, ignorance, personal bias, or some unholy combination of all three.
    I hate to do this because there is this perception that I have a standing feud with Pete and I just don't want to destory that...

But yeah, GTA:LCS is a bigger system seller than Mario, Halo or Zelda right now. It will be big.

Now, how much more games are made for the PSP because of it is another story. But with GTA:LCS sell systems? Yes.
    Dan Loosen

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    Weren't there rumours of a umd movie player that connects to your tv thats coming out soon?

My local wal-mart has their PSP connected to a large TV.

Can i do that at home?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe that people actualy buy these movies to play it on there PSP.. Why don't they pay less and go see it on there big tv x_x ?