Thread: handheld guide updates

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default handheld guide updates

weeks go by and i'm still working on this guide, there have been triumphs (contact with game creators), disasters (wife pulling plug on computer before i saved) but its starting to shape up. now that i'm this far along i've made up my mind firmly on a few things i was mulling over in my last posting on this. i'm not doing LCD games dammit, the mountain is too high, the information too hazy and frankly i dont enjoy most of them. so as russ mentioned in the past i will be calling the guide to LED and VFD games or something like that. i'd like to make exceptions for some worthy LCD games but i feel i should stick with my rules through out the guide.

the research part has been lots of fun, it really excites me to find out something not covered by other handheld guides. theres a lot out there, almost every game has a hidden history if you look hard enough. the value and scarcity part is harder than you would think, and its very ebay tainted. the truth is that you just dont find handhelds like you do carts and the prices in the wild are totally meaningless. i'm forced to use ebay in many cases becasue there just isnt another yardstick, i am however skewing low. more than half of my handheld collection came off the bay so i try and reflect what you would pay if you were patient and cheap rather than what something went for in a bid war.

the other research note i should make would be about the resources i'm using. my guide will owe a great debt to the work of rik1138 and clint dyer, who have put together the best handheld resources online. when you're delving into handhelds they are the 800lb gorillas, you cant help but book mark their work because in many cases its the ONLY source. that being said i'm looking to put together a guide that is new and wholly its own, but certainly built on the framework they have helped to provide.

and i'm still looking for handheld impressions from you guys, please post someting about your favorite, or even least favorite game.
    ________
    Blowjob virtual
    Last edited by christianscott27; 03-23-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, i think you are an expert in handhelds, so please help me with this...
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7363

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Handholding

Christian,

I didn't know you were that into hh's!

Anyway, I would be happy to help where possible. I have a very 'in the wild' slant, and I would REALLY like to provide input. Is this guide going to be for DP?

Skipping LCD? That's rough. What about stalwarts like Nintendo G&W's and such? You could make it 'classic handhelds' to avoid the diluge of 90s Tiger stuff and what not. There really is a finite number of those handhelds from pre-1989, though I doubt one person has them all.

Furthermore, I don't think handhelds should have the same 1-10 rarity scale. There just aren't enough being found. It's either common/uncommon, rare, or extremely rare.

And what will you do with the Japanese/import connundrum? It's tough to draw that line, and they have scads more handhelds- probably twice the handhelds that we do. You would have to include info from a Jap guide to be complete, and even then, no rarity applies.

Again, I'm happy to help where possible. My special interest is in Casio (though I'm into all the stuff that most hh collectors are: Mattel, Coleco, Parker Bros, Bandai, whatever.)

I'm up to 601 different handhelds- and I'll probably add 25 more when I test the ones in my basement.

ian

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for whats wrong with your game...of course electromechanical games presnt special challenges so be careful
    http://www.miniarcade.com/repair.htm

i think this collector might be able to help you learn more about your game, he has a lot of experience dealing with import games
    gameandweb.com

by the way, my goal is to complete a guide covering only the US released games, i cant handle the entire world's output, too much! my best guess is that your game looks like the work of the GRIP-LENO company, perhaps they licensed it from entex or vice versa
    ________
    Dc Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

didn't know you were that into hh's!
    -----this grew out of my collecting and trading, i have been building up a collection of classic tabletops for years and i was looking for an online resource that would help me in terms of completion and values. i was hoping to goad DP into creating such a guide and instead wound up taking on the job myself

Anyway, I would be happy to help where possible. I have a very 'in the wild' slant, and I would REALLY like to provide input. Is this guide going to be for DP?
    ------i'll be getting in touch with you on this, i would like all the input i can get on values and scarcity. if this guide is going to be useful to people for trading purposes i want it to reflect the true market value of the items. nothing beats finding games in the wild but how do you figure that into true worth? for example my experience with Tomy Scramble: i won this game off of ebay for $11, roughly average for a complete working model, more recently i picked up a second scramble for $3 at a flea market. i'll be trading the second game but i wont be trading it for $3...see what i mean? if i went by billy galaxy's guidelines i could claim the game is worth $40 or more, a very muddled picture indeed.

Skipping LCD? That's rough. What about stalwarts like Nintendo G&W's and such? You could make it 'classic handhelds' to avoid the diluge of 90s Tiger stuff and what not. There really is a finite number of those handhelds from pre-1989, though I doubt one person has them all.
    -----sure its rough, but fear not,the game and watch section is being put together by another section editor. as for all the other LCD games it is rough and i'm still thinking that i could include a very limited section on these, i'd sure hate to rule out epoch man and mattel's dungeons and dragons. i have actually completed most of the work on the mattel LCD line up and i think you might just the person to help me fill in some holes and discuss the screen rot problems. by and large though LCD games either fall under the game and watch umbrella or miss my classic cutoff year 1984 roughly.

Furthermore, I don't think handhelds should have the same 1-10 rarity scale. There just aren't enough being found. It's either common/uncommon, rare, or extremely rare.
    ---------i would agree but i'm working with the DP database format as-is. if joe wants to keep a standard scale through out the guide then i'm kind of married to that scale.

And what will you do with the Japanese/import connundrum? It's tough to draw that line, and they have scads more handhelds- probably twice the handhelds that we do. You would have to include info from a Jap guide to be complete, and even then, no rarity applies.
    -------like other DP sections this will focus only on games that were sold in the US, if anybody has the time and resources to put together an overseas guide that would be another sub section. it can be hard to determine just which games were sold in the US, i recieved some help on this issue from rik and am still uncertain on bandai, since many of their games were sold in japan only.

Again, I'm happy to help where possible. My special interest is in Casio (though I'm into all the stuff that most hh collectors are: Mattel, Coleco, Parker Bros, Bandai, whatever.)
    -------in the course of my google researching i've run into your handheld wants/trade lsit many times, i'm glad to have you as a contact.

I'm up to 601 different handhelds- and I'll probably add 25 more when I test the ones in my basement
    -------figures...just when i decided my collection WAS bigger than your tradelist you tell me that, you need some new gameroom pics. look for some of mine here in the next weeks (after our trademeet 2/8)
    ________
    CIVIC HYBRID