Thread: Bizarre PS2 class Settlement eMail...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Bizarre PS2 class Settlement eMail...

WARNING: First of all, I would not advise anyone to click any of the URL's contained underneath, as I have not verified them as being legit, and suspect that this eMail I received was some form of spam / phishing.

Basically, today, I received the following eMail, but did not know what the hell it was about. It made absolutely no sense to me, and therefore I assume it is some form of phishing attempt. Considering I am from the Uk and all...

Quote Originally Posted by G-P's eMail
    " An Important Notice from the Superior Court of the State of California, County of San Mateo, United States and from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Canada, About a Class Action Settlement Involving the PS2

IF YOU OWN A PS2, YOU COULD GET BENEFITS FROM THE SETTLEMENT.

A proposed settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit concerning the performance of the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system ("PS2"). You may be a member of the Class whose rights may be affected by this lawsuit. The sole purpose of this notice is to inform you of the lawsuit so that you may decide what steps to take in relation to it.

If the settlement is approved, Class Members who complete and return a Claim Form, on or before February 16, 2006, may be eligible to receive settlement benefits. The claim form may be accessed at www.PS2Settlement.com or obtained from the PS2 Settlement Administrator, c/o Rust Consulting, Inc., PO Box 1784, Faribault MN 55021-1784.

Whether you are entitled to benefits will depend upon which subclass you are in. You may also choose to exclude yourself from the settlement. There are deadlines associated with the choices you may make regarding the settlement, and the last day to submit completed claim forms, to object to the settlement or to opt out is February 16, 2006. More information describing your rights under the settlement, as well as instructions for filing a claim may be accessed by contacting the Settlement Administrator. To contact the Settlement Administrator, please access the website at www.PS2Settlement.com, call toll-free 1-800-352-5331, or write PS2 Settlement Administrator, c/o Rust Consulting, Inc., PO Box 1784, Faribault MN 55021-1784.

Pour accéder au site Web du Règlement, cliquez sur le lien suivant: www.PS2Settlement.com. "

Anyone else get anything similar? anyone know what the hell this is about, or am I right in thinking it is some elaborate form of spam / phishing scam???

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Aside from the fact that we have 2 threads on this, that website is legit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well i just literally opened the eMail and didn't think it would be as widespread as this.

So what's exactly is it all about? Is it worth doing? Why is it all Americanized and not locallised?

Besides, I sold my spare PStwo to my sister last week. I've had it a year, so I doubt i still have the receipt anyway. It's actually the only one I registered, so has to be the one being referred to in the eMail, as I have not registered any of my other two.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    Well i just literally opened the eMail and didn't think it would be as widespread as this.

So what's exactly is it all about? Is it worth doing? Why is it all Americanized and not locallised?

Besides, I sold my spare PStwo to my sister last week. I've had it a year, so I doubt i still have the receipt anyway. It's actually the only one I registered, so has to be the one being referred to in the eMail, as I have not registered any of my other two.
    It's a settlement for the DRE error in SCE-50000 PS2s sold in the last 18 months. I forget the exact details of the settlement but i suggest you read the website if you want to know more or read the previous posts on DP.

That's not much of an explanation but i hope it helps Gemi.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Correction, it's not just for THOSE models. The website has the full range it covers. Mine falls under the settlement, for example, and it's a 30000.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion