Thread: Strategies for upcoming CGE2K3 - what to buy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strategies for upcoming CGE2K3 - what to buy?

After talking with Joe earlier today, it was decided that a good topic might be concerning the upcoming CGE2K3 in Las Vegas. VEGAS BABY!!

I had asked Joe what he thought might be a good strategy for making purchases at this year's convention.

As a relative newbie to everything but NES collecting, I was wondering what would make the best strategy for getting the most bang for my buck at what will hopefully be my first convention.

While of course everyone's answer will probably differ, we felt that it would be a good topic to discuss, and to see what people would do this year (or would do if they were going!)

SO, what do you veterans suggest? Buying as many things as possible - volume rules your wallet... OR, what about picking up as many "rares" as you can afford - after all it only happens once a year!

Newbies or those who are in the middle - what do you think? Pick up as many carts as you can for $200, or 2 carts for $100 each?

Just looking for experienced input, fresh ideas and general discussion.

Hope some of you will take the time to reply.

Thanks!
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am hoping (fingers crossed) to be working in Japan during the Summer (I am expected to compete in this year's Super J Cup Tournament... any pro wrestling fans know how big that is), so I have a new excuse not to go to CGE. But I might send Joe some money and tell him to pick some nice shit up for me.

, "Here you go Charlie. I gotta hell of a deal on a box of 3000 Atari Combats!"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know if there will be any unreleased protos being made and sold at CGE2k3?

If so buy some of those!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Quazick
    Does anyone know if there will be any unreleased protos being made and sold at CGE2k3?

If so buy some of those!
    It's a good point. There are two categories here:

1) "Reproductions", which I can GUARANTEE you will see several of. CGE Services alone offers a handful of these every year, and others have joined in with titles like Combat Two, RealSports Basketball, Secret Agent, etc.

2) "Protos", which I can't guarantee, but which always seem to turn up for sale SOMEWHERE during CGE! Remember that you have most of the country's most avid gamer/collectors on hand.

The biggest difference between these two is that 1) are typically $25-$40 apiece and 2) are typically big bucks!

So you're back to where you started... where do you begin?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So true! It seems as though certain "repros" are not too difficult to locate, even after the show is over. It would be cool to get them all while you are there, but it seems as though you could blow $300+ just on repros!

Prototypes on the other hand...

Best get your checkbook.

This is a great start to the kind of info that I was hoping to see - what thought processes are people entertaining when the show starts. In theory, everyone has a range of cash they can blow on the hobby, so how do you spend it?
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Prototypes on the other hand...

Best get your checkbook.
    Haha... Except most people won't take a check! If you plan on buying protos (and there are a few to be had every year) bring "Wads O' Cash"(tm). I know I blew (amount withheld) on prototypes last year.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Point taken about the cash!

Come on folks - someone has to have an opinion or can offer advice about successful Convention experiences...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Well...this my experiances at CGE.....

I've done pretty well in Vegas....did manage to curb my spending last year though. The first year I went I was just like a kid in a candy factory..so much to see and do, went a little overboard on the spending, but got stuff I had not seen in the wild or had seen and was too ignorant to pick it up. Some of the items I've got are...A multi-cart for the Vectrex and 5200....a Masterplay for the 5200...marques for some of my fave video games...A SX-64 by Commodore.....various publications (including Joe's fine Collectors Guides)...various carts that I need (no protos or the such...too costly) some controllers that I though were cool to add to my collection...and a few accessories too. I've went down with an agenda to find stuff the last couple of times...basically found what I was wanting..paid a little bit more that EPAY prices....but all in all have been happy with my purchases. The Keeper
    The Gaming Guy...you know...that guy!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Keep!

I like the fact that you mentioned "kid in a candy store" - it will be very hard to keep myself in check around all those goodies.

Sounds like you took some strategy away from the first trip, and made it easier on your return visits. COOL!