Thread: NINTENDO new controller 4 buttons "like a Super Nintend

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NINTENDO new controller 4 buttons "like a Super Nintend

Wouldn't that be a sweet announcement? A modern control with only 4 buttons + joystick. Not confusing. Would fit Nintendo's philosophy of simple technology - putting gaming first.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: NINTENDO new controller 4 buttons "like a Super Nin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    Wouldn't that be a sweet announcement? A modern control with only 4 buttons + joystick. Not confusing. Would fit Nintendo's philosophy of simple technology - putting gaming first.
    The SNES controller perfected D-pad only controls, in my opinion. Simple, enough buttons for any reasonable game, and the placement worked nicely. The D-pad was also and still is the best of the best. For whatever reason, most probably though due to the fact that many games use analog "sticks", D-pad only controllers have declined in quality dramatically. The D-pads have become flemsy, inprecise, and unreliable... and buttons have proliferated like crazy, with inconsistent placement, shape, and feel.

Personally, I'd love to see a system that comes with a D-pad only controller and an analog controller. That way both types of controls would be available, and both controller types could be simplified. No more one-size-fits-all crap.

The best of the best D-pad only controllers, in my opinion, are the SNES and Saturn controllers. Sorry, but the original Playstation controller's D-pad was terrible, terrible, terrible. My ideal D-pad only controller would be a combination between the SNES and Saturn controllers. Basically it would be a SNES controller but with two additional buttons on the right-hand face of the controller like the Saturn's. In every other way it would be like the SNES controller: all face buttons are the same size and the wonderful SNES D-pad is kept in favor of the Saturn D-pad. Also for D-pad based fighting games, you would have 2 rows of 3 buttons on the right-hand face of the controller.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My brother and I acutally snapped both directional pads on our playstation 1 when we got it because the d-pad was such a pain. This way we had 4 "buttons" for a D-pad on a playstation controller instead of a whole D-Pad.
    #vbender