Thread: Finally got myself a super gun, but now what? jamma?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Finally got myself a super gun, but now what? jamma?

Yay! I just won an auction for a supergun ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...205021281&rd=1) Using this trinket I can play jamma boards on my tv.

The problem is I don't know anything about jamma. I tried to find a decent faq about it, but couldn't find anything specific.

What are the games that stand out? I got a game of street fighter 2 dash with it ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...205021782&rd=1), but only because it was the cheapest the same seller had for sale. I'm mainly interested in the newer games, and maybe some older puzzlers or shooters. Games like Tekken, soul edge, mortal kombat etc. What should I look for? I want games that are better than their console counterparts, or don't even have a console counterpart.

How safe is it to have it sent to me? It's probably sensative stuff and non of the sellers I've seen on ebay offers any kind of warranty.

Are there any other places I can buy boards from? Good stuff for low prices preferably

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Finally got myself a super gun, but now what? jamma?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrrhalomynn
    Yay! I just won an auction for a supergun ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...205021281&rd=1) Using this trinket I can play jamma boards on my tv.

The problem is I don't know anything about jamma. I tried to find a decent faq about it, but couldn't find anything specific.
    You don't need to know anything about JAMMA, really. JAMMA is the standard for boards produced after... I forget the date, but somewhere around 1985 I think. Just think of JAMMA boards as (for the most part - there are exceptions) "plug and play." The main consideration for JAMMA boards in a coin-op is screen setup (vertical vs. horizontal) and after that, the number of buttons on the machine in question. Since you've got a Supergun there, I'm guessing that's not as important. I think Achika has a Supergun, or at least can tell you more on the subject.

Oh, and having boards sent to you through the mail is generally pretty safe. Good luck!
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might not have to NEED to know about jamma, but I WANT to know. It's some interesting stuff. And it never hurts to know about what I'm interested in.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed.

If you check out http://www.klov.com I think there are links to sites with all kinds of info on pinouts, including JAMMA. It's been a while since I've dug them up, but you should be able to find everything you ever wanted to know and then some.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a MVS board and enjoy some of the more expensive Neo Geo homecarts for much much cheaper.

Besides that, I think one of those pirate Street Fighter 2 pcb's would be pretty sweet. (I would have one right now, if I could only stop spending money on my Neo.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Well, there's a little bit on my pages here:

http://www.vidgame.net/arcade/arcade_home.htm

Also, I think Briggs from Neo-Geo forums had information on JAMMA at his website: http://www.hardmvs.com/

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking about buying one of those mvs things, but it's a bit too expensive for now. I'm not really interested in Neo Geo games and I rather invest in some specific jamma boards. Eventually I'll get one though

Thanks for the links achika, your page was helpful.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The whole supergun concept seemed like it would be kind of a mess. So you plug in a big, awkward PCB with all it's electronic parts exposed to the touch and wires running in and out of it and just plop it next to your TV? Is that how it is? I never liked the idea of sending boards through the mail because it seems like they would be very easily damaged. All the electronic parts are exposed and could be snapped off. A solder joint could break on it anywhere and if you don't have the technical know how to find and fix it your screwed. I thought maybe MAME would kill the sales of these things.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was actually planning to give the board it's own little place in the cabinet under my tv, where it's free from touchings.

I agree on the board thing, that's why I asked about experiences.

And mame can't play tekken 3 yet And if it could, I couldn't use it on my old computer. Besides, it's better to play it on a real 29" tv than a 17" monitor.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arrrhalomynn

And mame can't play tekken 3 yet And if it could, I couldn't use it on my old computer. Besides, it's better to play it on a real 29" tv than a 17" monitor.
    I've used my inexpensive Nvidea TNT2 card with TV-out with MAME to run the signal to a 27" TV and it works great. I have a 21" monitor so I don't mind playing on the PC though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I've gotten quite a few motherboards in the mail just in bubble wrap and foamy peanuts with no problems. I just lie a piece of plexi down and then put my motherboards on top of it next to my Supergun and play. My Hyper Neo just came in the factory box from California and was perfect. Arcade equipment was meant to be tossed around and mangled, because of it's "natural habitat" so to speak. The Naomi and CPS 2 are fully enclosed, so none of the PCB parts are exposed.

MVS isn't really expensive after you buy the motherboard (around $75 for a 1 slot) Then the carts are about $10-75 in the normal range. Of course, the newest games are the most expensive.

Most of the newer games are based off motherboards with the games on cartridges. (Naomi, CPS 3, etc.) It's the older games (1980's- early 90's) that are JAMMA specific on a game-by-game basis.

As for MAME: I LOVE my Supergun on my 27" TV.

@Arrrhalomynn: thanks for the f/b! I'm glad it helped a little