Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: those with arcade machines - how often do you play them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Probably once every 2 weeks here and it's normally when someone comes over and wants to see the arcade. It still hasn't stopped me from wanting more though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not often enough, although it does get played more if people come over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might play it more often if it was in the house. It's downstairs in the foyer, and I have to run an extention cord down there.

That, and whenever I feel like playing it (which is all the time, incidentally) my kids just sort of appear and cut up, and I can't concentrate on the game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I have 5 machines and I hadn't really thought about this, but I probably only play them once a month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to play my machine(s) on the weekends mostly. If I have couple of beers, Im more likely to play
    Vectors, pixels & polygons

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time mine get any play time is when friends come over. I would love to play my Ms.Pacman but it is once again out of order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

I don't get to play them often because I am away at school for a good portion of the year and when I'm home for the summer I'm usually sleeping or working.

When they do get played, my Special Forces and Super Mario Bros. pinball machines see the most play, by far. Now that I'm home for Xmas break, they have been on once almost everyday.

I just got my Space Invaders fixed last night, so that has gotten a lot of play last night and today, but the novelty will wear off quickly.

My MVS gets the occassional play (I need some new carts.) In it, the Metal Slug and Ninja Combat see the most play. Baseball Stars sees damn near zero play (I don't like it.) The Super Spy is too repetitive to see a lot of play. Rage of the Dragons, Art Of Fighting and Fatal Fury see no play because they aren't in the cab right now, and I don't intend on putting them in.

I hate my Vigilante cabinet, so that only gets play when my dad is bored and feels like playing it, which I can't say how often that is because, like I said before, I'm not home that much.

My GoGo Juggler slot machines sees very little play, bascially because there is no point. You put tokens in until you win a lot or run out. If you run out, you just take the key, open it, and get your tokens back.....no skill at all.

My sit down Nintendo Vs. sees minimal play as well. The Vs. Golf side sees no play at all (played twice for testing purposes only....I need to get a new set of chips and a new marquee for that side.) The Vs. Super Mario Bros. side sees play more often than some of the other stuff, but still not that often.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 3 cabs and I play at least 1 of them several days a week. A lot of times I'll have at least two cabs on at different times during the day. My least used one is Donkey Kong. All 3 games work great. I've played about 10 games of Asteroids today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I mostly find time to plug a board into ye olde supergun when I'm testing something to make sure it's not broken.

In all seriousness, I've been wondering how much damage I'm doing to the boards in general handling them (traces on the PCB connector should be easy to fix). I don't have space for large dedicated machines, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

My Pac-Man gets the most attention. It is played on almost a daily basis. My Galaga cocktail comes next. I fire it up at least twice a week.

My Vs. SMB gets virtually no play. I'm probably gonna turn it back to a DKjr. this summer, or buy a DK board, and turn it into a Donkey Kong 2.

From this point forward, I may buy one or two more games, then I'm calling it a day. My attention has now basically turned to Pinball machines, lately. I hope to buy one by the end of summer - I've got an eye on a fairly nice Whirlwind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When my monitor was working, I was playing my cab daily.

I enjoy playing Steep Slope Sliders so much to where I get enjoyment out of playing it everyday (plus one time and only one time I was able to unlock a secret stage).

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 5 machines but I'm looking at selling Uni War S soon.

I rarely turn them on and when I do, it's usually when company is over. I just picked up a 4 player Sunset Riders over the weekend and I plan to turn that into a Simpsons/TMNT soon.

To me it's not about how often I play them but how much fun I have when I do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'll be honest in that I use the Galaxian cocktail as more of a table and less of a game. I probably turn it on every couple weeks and play a couple dozen games. Last time I played it I was working on a new strategy and was getting back into it pretty heavy, so I think it'll start to get more play again.

The Klax cabaret gets at least one play session a week, especially now that I think I've locked down the problem with the monitor to some adjustments. I love Klax but still have never completed the game. In a marathon session a couple weeks ago I plugged away at Wave 100 for an hour or so but it was getting late (or is that early) and I know the game is loud, so I was a good apartment resident and shut it down. Once I build or buy a JAMMA harness extender (anyone here have one to sell, about two feet?) I'll play my Tetris board in the Klax cabinet much more. I also plan on building an alternate control panel for it since up to the control panel molex connectors the harness is fully wired. Still haven't found matching connectors though. Then I can have expanded capabilities with that little cabinet.

When I'm at my parents I put a couple hours on my mini Galaga MAME cabinet each day. I know my brother plays it quite a bit and I really wish I had the space to have it here.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE: my first reply in this thread from 2005, games are played even less now. I think last time they were on was almost a year ago. I'd sell em if I wasn't so lazy. Probably would just keep ms. pacman. Anyone in Milwaukee want a project Defender? Used to work, dont know whats wrong now. Too lazy to figure it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Since I just bought a Street Fighter II game I've been putting a lot of time in with that which has sparked my interested once again with my pinball machine. I really thought that there was something wrong with the flippers but after opening it up again I found that I just hadn't tightened the screws enough so they work much better now. Right now I'd say I'm playing at least once a day but that'll wear off shortly I'm sure. That's why I really want to get another game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrissylas View Post
    To me it's not about how often I play them but how much fun I have when I do.
    QFT.

My machines have been stored in an unfinished, detached garage. The peak winter and summer months can be miserable out there. I haven't fired them up in nearly 2 months now, but I've been in the process of renovating a house over that time. Two of my machines, Rygar and X-Men, will be at the library next month for a local, small sci-fi convention along with some consoles with sci-fi themed games. Once I've finished moving I expect at least once a week the machines will be turned on.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The advantage to MAME machines is that there's always something new to play without dedicating more space to another machine. The point of me having arcade machines in the first place is to be able to play arcade games they way I remember them, standing at a cabinet as opposed to with a console controller or PC or something.

I go in phases. I'll play them two or three times a day for a couple weeks, then I'll go for two months without touching them, then two months playing once every couple days. There's lots of times when I'll just turn them on and let the attract modes run just for the ambiance.

I certainly enjoy them enough to justify the investment and the space they take up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Default Revolution X

I still fire up the machine about once every two weeks just to keep things working. The guns are a little wonky at times but I still play and have a couple beers to kill time when downloading podcasts.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got three cabinets now -
    1) Frenzy - picked this up a couple of years ago, free and non-working. Turns out the main board is dead, so the machine has never been played. Hopefully I'll one day get a replacement board for it.

2) Time Pilot - our very own Stonic set me up with this one. It lives in my garage, and I play it several times per week. Basically, anytime I enter the garage to grab something from the freezer, get the lawn mower out, put the lawn mower back in, ditto for the snow blower, etc... I sneak in a game or two. Last week I scored my all-time high score, 145,000, and this morning I hit about 128,000.

3) An empty, ugly 'Wheel of Fortune' cabinet that I picked up a few weeks ago, and hope to one day turn into a MAME cabinet. But unfortunately I did a lot of reading about various MAME cabinets and all of the possibilities, and that, combined with my own ideas (fantasies) about how to do the project are so intimidating I don't know that I'll ever actually get off my butt and start anything. For the moment, the cabinet is just taking up space in the garage.

Short answer - I play the Time Pilot 3 or 4 times/week.

PS: MoreEbola - What's the condition of the Defender, and what's wrong with it? Defender is my all-time favorite game and my dream arcade machine. You've got me wondering just how far Milwaukee is from NJ, anyway.
    Last edited by NoahsMyBro; 05-22-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog