Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NPD Game Sale Chart: November 2005

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Sports games that are rehashed yearly are eaten up on the PS2. Madden, for example. Any platformers that are rehashed early are eaten up on the PS2. Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter for example. The majority of franchises on the PS2 consists of sequels.

I know Nintendo puts out a lot of games based on current franchises, but you usually only see one Mario Kart per generation. You only see one Smash Brothers per generation, one Mario platformer, et cetera. Madden is also on the GameCube, but it sells substantially on the PS2. This is not because the PS2 has sold 5 times as many systems. Madden on the PS2 sells well over 5 times as many as it does on the GameCube.
    I'm sorry, but just about everything you've said here, and in this thread, is just plain stupidity. A 'Franchise' is a series of something. You cant call Beyond Good and Evil a 'Franchise' because there is only one of them (now). So, I'd be pretty damned hard to have a franchise of only one game. And, you're totally wrong, the reason there are so many more sales of Madden on PS2 is because there are millions more of them then GC's. I'm not trying to defent madden gamers, because I cant stand sports games, but you seriously need to stop being such a damned fanboy and look at the cold hard facts with an unbiased opinion.

Besides, sales lists dont matter anyways. Most people are sheep and play simply what they see hundreds of ads for. See - that 50 Cent game.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    Oh, it's worthy of discussion. So answer me this: why does it seem like it frequently turns into a mudslinging match?
    Because too many gamers have attached their egos, if not their stock portfolios, to their consoles. But it's been that way since the days of the Atari 2600 and the Mattel Intellivision, and the Plimpton-starring TV commercials that started us down the long, ugly road to today's rabid Internet fanboyism.

Is "max 330 mega" tweaked because I'm asking him to better define why he feels that Mario Kart DS is "wiping the floor" with Liberty City Stories? (A difference of "two places" is quite arbitrary, not to mention that one game could be two places ahead of another if it had sold two more or two *million* more copies.) I don't know, but I hope he's not. I'm not attacking the individual, just questioning his ideas.

-- Z.
    no believe me, Im definitely not someone to get upset when someone disagrees with me, you can call me whatever youd like, i enjoy it, you wont ever find me offended, its cool.
    i, by most peoples terms would be a nintendo fanboy. and its not particularly that i try to be either, its just that the only games that hold my attention anymore seem to all be released on gamecube and DS and thats not even to say that i blindly love every game nintendo churns out, in fact i will say right out that ive never enjoyed a zelda or a metroid game.
    wiping the floor probably isnt the most accurate term, in fact i was just overjoyed to see the DS out doing the PSP in sales, because i definitely root for nintendo, seeing as how i already stated, they seem to be the only company that release the simple and fun kind of games i like to play. im gonna stay devoted to nintendo until the day they close their doors, which i hope is no time soon, because the day nintendo stops producing consoles will be the day i stop playing current generation systems. if theres no new sega system, and no new nintendo system, and DEFINITELY no new SNK system, well then there are no games left for me to play in the current gen.
    so lets see... biased? yea id say so.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Sports games that are rehashed yearly are eaten up on the PS2. Madden, for example. Any platformers that are rehashed early are eaten up on the PS2. Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter for example. The majority of franchises on the PS2 consists of sequels.

I know Nintendo puts out a lot of games based on current franchises, but you usually only see one Mario Kart per generation. You only see one Smash Brothers per generation, one Mario platformer, et cetera. Madden is also on the GameCube, but it sells substantially on the PS2. This is not because the PS2 has sold 5 times as many systems. Madden on the PS2 sells well over 5 times as many as it does on the GameCube.
    I'm sorry, but just about everything you've said here, and in this thread, is just plain stupidity. A 'Franchise' is a series of something. You cant call Beyond Good and Evil a 'Franchise' because there is only one of them (now). So, I'd be pretty damned hard to have a franchise of only one game. And, you're totally wrong, the reason there are so many more sales of Madden on PS2 is because there are millions more of them then GC's. I'm not trying to defent madden gamers, because I cant stand sports games, but you seriously need to stop being such a damned fanboy and look at the cold hard facts with an unbiased opinion.

Besides, sales lists dont matter anyways. Most people are sheep and play simply what they see hundreds of ads for. See - that 50 Cent game.
    Please read my post and try again. I said none of these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

It never ceases to amaze me just how much of a penis-waving contest these sales threads become, especially when the results are so utterly predictable.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    It's not ads that are selling 50 Cent: Bulletproof, or "sheep" that are buying it. It's that Fiddy is a hot property with a huge fanbase. People are buying Bulletproof for the same reason they buy any tie-in game--they want more of whatever property is being represented. It's fandom, not sheepdom.

As for this month's NPD list, most of the top 25 games are good or great. Bulletproof is the only turd on the chart.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These sales charts are very important for us gamers because they decide (and therefore we gamers) what will be offered, and in which genres and franchises developers and publishers invest the most money.

...and I agree with zmweasel about fandom, Xizer. I never understood how in the world gamers can praise Mario Kart hopping on the Nintendo PR-waggon of innovation, while condemning Madden as a repetitious, non-creative business model of milking franchises. When we get the various Mario sports games since the SNES and N64 times, there is as much or less innovation as there is in Madden.

I also heavily dislike the belittling of gamers. Gamers are gamers, and they find their fun in a Madden or a Stretch Panic. I have no probs with evaluating game quality of different games, but when it comes to the elitist "bad tastes" of the mainstream and the great tastes of us hardcorers (even maybe associated with genres), I have big problems.

I think that the majority of great games overall sold well, in the past and today. The NPD chart is an indicator of it. In most cases, I as a videogame nut who knows a bit about game history stands right there with casual gamers buying and playing the same games. I have difficulties drawing a separation line between 'us' and 'them.'

No true surprises about the sales chart. Sports and FPSs sell well. Also no surprise that Madden sold poorly on the GC, behind even the three year old Super Mario Sunshine! It suggests that there is indeed a different demographic behind the GC than on the other two systems. There was a reason that the NFL2K franchise was pulled off the GC already three years ago.

About simplistic reading of sales charts: first we don't know the actual sales numbers, second GTA for the PSP was one month earlier released than Mario Kart DS, third there is a big difference of the retail price.

Armchair evaluations about game quality, tastes, game design of the future and the economic performance of systems looking at sales charts are not enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    Mario Party has had how many sequels so far? 7. Over two systems. Four on the GameCube, and three on the N64. If I'm not mistaken, it's been one a year.
    Just to be picky - that would be six sequels, not seven.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    You idiots realize that GTA debuted in October, right? Thus, it would be expected that Mario Kart charts ahead in November, it's debut month. For chrissakes you'd think you own f*cking stock in Nintendo or something ...

In other news, King Kong is ahead of Star Wars at the box office this month ... x_x
    Do you realize that your a FUCKING SONY FANBOY.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quite enough.

You boys need to learn to exhibit some restraint when discussing this topic, or learn to avoid it altogether.