Thread: Poll: Is there a need for another cart production service?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Poll: Is there a need for another cart production service?

Packrat Video Games is considering filling part of the void that the disappearance of Hozer has left. We’ve done the necessary research, raised enough capitol, and even have over 400 cartridges to gut and use for homebrews. What I would like to know is if there is a need and enough interested individuals for us to make the investment and begin offering cart production services similar to what Randy used to do and what the Al’s are doing right now.

We would offer professionally printed die-cut labels, manuals, and possibly even boxes for an affordable price. Considering all of the costs involved, we would be able to sell homebrew titles for between $15.00 and $20.00 through our site, with discounts available for homebrew authors wishing to distribute their own games. Games with boxes and manuals would run between $20.00 and $30.00. As concluded by a previous thread about boxes, the option would always be given to purchase games with or without the box. In addition, we would not require that any mention of Packrat Video Games be placed on the cartridge or box. The proper royalties would be paid and we would only offer games with permission from the author or associated company.

In all honesty, would a little friendly competition be welcomed, or is the general consensus that the Al’s have the homebrew scene covered? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jarett Waite
    Owner
    Packrat Video Games
    www.packratvg.com

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm all for friendly competition, but one thing to consider. The Als have the game authors permission to distribute their games. So, right off the bat, you need to do likewise and secure permission before doing that.

Secondly, the nail in the coffin for Hozer was copyright infringement. When the crap really began to fly, Randy bowed out when Activision contacted him about making cart repros of their games still protected. So cart repros may also be tough to do given the protective envinoment the images appear to be under.

So, I'd like to se ya do it. Just do a bit of research and homework before you plunge in. There may be some circumstances you need to clear first. Good luck.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Sniderman. I completely agree about receiving permission from game authors and companies before producing their games. I've dealt with copyright infingement in previous business dealings and it can get pretty ugly. Do you know if anyone has ever actually contacted Infrogames about Atari repros?

Thanks,
    Jarett Waite
    Owner
    Packrat Video Games
    www.packratvg.com

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default In

I'd definitely be for it!

Packrat Videogamess....Didn't I meet you guys at E3 once?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!