Thread: Collection price estimate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    pwned.

What does this mean exactly? I've always wanted to know. I GET what it means. Gotcha, Burnt, busted, etc...but what does pwned stand for?

Sorry to threadjack. I would expect to receive $5000 for that if I was selling it. Obviously breaking it up in smaller auctions would net you a little more, but if you really wanted to maximize your gross sales I'd break it up into smaller "buy it nows". I always seem to do better that way.
    "Pwned" is "Pawned"....Kinda like "Owned"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'd expect to get over $6000 for all that if i were selling it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a million dollars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim
    What does this mean exactly? I've always wanted to know. I GET what it means. Gotcha, Burnt, busted, etc...but what does pwned stand for?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll give you AAAALLLLLL pig iron for it.

Well, sigh...I'd have to sell off a big chunk of my collection to raise enough cash Also agreeing with the $6000 minimum, but as we all know finding somebody who would buy all that at once can be a trick. Much easier than listing everything separately on eBay, but think of all the money you could make...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to be a dick but if it were anyone other than a mod like say a normal member or God forbid a newb asking this it would have either been locked or had 10,000 smart-ass replies by now.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    Not to be a dick but if it were anyone other than a mod like say a normal member or God forbid a newb asking this it would have either been locked or had 10,000 smart-ass replies by now.
    I'm not following you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think my post was rather forward, no deep thought required. Noob/member pricing questions are either locked or referred to the DP rarity guide 99% of the time.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree with EVERYTHING smokehouse said. Bud.. I thought I was the ONLY one who ever saw the lopsidedness around here.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The key difference here is that the pricing question concerns a very large, nearly complete collection of a highly desired system. The pricing threads that usually get smart comments and/or locked are the ones asking how much a Genesis with a few Madden games is worth. These are less-desired and EASILY looked-up cases. Trying to determine a market value for 800+ games at once is a little more engaging and worthwhile.

That said, you're not completely incorrect. There is lopsidedness.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with above posters. This thread is stupid. His collection is worth $6000 today, $4000 tomorrow and $6500 the day after...

What's the point in knowing how much your collection of 800 games theoretically is worth when you're not even planning to sell them? Prices vary so much that it is hard to predict the value of 5 games correctly, let alone such a huge collection. Topic starter is an experienced collector (i presume) so he knows what he paid for the items and what they should be worth approximately. Sell them on eBay and when you are done, you know how much they were worth exactly (in that specific point in time)...

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There should be lopsidedness. I am one of those who gets irritated by newbs joining for free estimates just to sell on ebay anyway.

I think long term members should be given deference in these things.

Oh, and Alan, had I not just bought a large collection of NES, I would be in the market for this somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5K.
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I as well was thinking about selling my collection... but then I realized that I would hate myself forever for it!

I can't help with a value, as they fluctuate all the time. But if you do sell, let me know if you sell separately

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    There should be lopsidedness
    I think scorch56 was speaking in more general terms, not just isolated to this sort of topic.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't IGN have a a collection spot where you can input all your games and it gives you an estimated value? I thought I saw that on there but I'm not 100% sure. Of course it woudl take a while to get all the games in there, but, it might give you a good idea at a value just for vonersation sake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    There should be lopsidedness
    I think scorch56 was speaking in more general terms, not just isolated to this sort of topic.
    .. I was.

I seem to remember a member (doesn't really matter if he was a newb or not).. I don't recall he was asking if someone could give an approximate value to his collection in the eBay forum, I think it was.. beginning of last year. I really wish I could find that thread.. but there are many like it.

Know what happened? All he got was a bunch of comments about how lazy he was to not do the research himself; plugs to sell the DP printed guide and some downright meaness.

I DO remember several people asking him "Why should we do your work for you?" and such; others said "No" in other ways.
    My DP feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ahamilton0953
    Doesn't IGN have a a collection spot where you can input all your games and it gives you an estimated value? I thought I saw that on there but I'm not 100% sure. Of course it woudl take a while to get all the games in there, but, it might give you a good idea at a value just for vonersation sake.
    Yeah, I don't know how accurate it would be on the stuff he has.

Looking at it, if you sold the 60 games I needed to me, you could get a couple grand just from me for sure , then still have 800 games to sell.
    Still though, I think you'd prefer it if you kept it. I couldn't imagine spending so much time on something and then getting rid of it.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ign pricing is completely out of line. when i checked to see what my collection was 'worth' every newly inputted atari game added $25 to the total....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mills
    a million dollars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    ign pricing is completely out of line. when i checked to see what my collection was 'worth' every newly inputted atari game added $25 to the total....
    Taken from a reply-post of mine a couple of months back:

Actually.. the IGN datbase.. as far as prices go.. is no longer being maintained OR updated. A couple of years back when IGN was tied in with a major game retail chain (which one.. escapes me now) they based their estimated values DIRECTLY on what their store "tie-in" charged. In other words.. you used to be able to buy games THROUGH IGN.. but they tied into Gamestop.. or the like.

So.. let's say you had a copy of Chrono Trigger to add to your collection. Once you did.. the value of your collection might go up by say.. $35; and if you bought a copy of CT from their Gamestop pages via IGN.. you'd pay $35 (I know this WAS the case because I thoroughly researched this one evening in their forums and their FAQ, and found this answer.. wondering and asking where they got their values from.). At the time however.. this wasn't very accurate as well. The reason? If you bought that copy of CT from them.. 99.9995% of the time.. you would simply recieve a bare cart. In fact.. the site would show a disclaimer stating the fact that one should realize; and count on getting a bare cart or CD MOST of the time.. as available. I never ordered 8 or 16-bit carts from them for that reason.. because I'm a completist. In fact.. out of about 5 or 6 current-gen titles I ordered.. only 1 ever came with a case and manual.. so I stopped. Now anybody also knows that a copy of CT with box-insert, manual & maps.. in any sort of semi-decent condition is worth.. or will fetch.. A LOT more than $35.. especially on eBay.

When the big game company and IGN stopped supporting each other awhile back.. I think IGN simply kept their pricing database.. and stopped updating it. I think I've pretty much proved that to myself because no matter what games I've added in the past year or so.. they ALWAYS seem to raise my value by never more than $20 to $25 exactly; anymore.

IGN is grossly undervalued in my opinion as well nowdays. Look at my collection.. I have approximately 650 games.. and MANY of mine are rare.. HTF.. or simply "wanted". Divide that 650 into the estimated value of $13,000 and you get about $20 per game.. value; as an average.. but 95% of my games are totally complete. Anybody would tell you that almost any complete "older" game is worth that much.. on a good day.. on eBay (NOT counting sports titles [of which I have NONE] or commons [of which I have few; i.e. Mario, Sonic, DK, etc.]). So you see what I'm getting at here? If all of my games are worth AT LEAST the $20.. but my Snatcher might be $75.. or my Metal Warriors might be $100.. then isn't my collection worth WELL more than $13,000? So I don't use the IGN figure as an accurate quote either.
    My DP feedback