Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It took me 17 years, but I finally beat Dragon Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    It was for me. I'll tell you what's not the same. Playing it on a computer. Down with computer emulation.

Let's be fair, some of us found our way into collecting FROM discovering emulation.

I once got the feel for some River City Ransom one day (I last played it when I was 7.) I was about 18, and I did a search on it, found a "ROM" and had no idea how to use it, came home and found I couldn't use it

Then, I found out I needed an emulator after looking for "how to install a ROM", and man oh man, that was a kick ass memory day, it all came rushing back!

I'm glad ROM's are preserved here, and we know all our games are safe for future kids to discover!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoosh! You do know what a joke is, right?

Still, I'd much rather play something on a console than a computer. Even if it is being emulated on the console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whoosh! You do know what a joke is, right?

Still, I'd much rather play something on a console than a computer. Even if it is being emulated on the console.
    Oh yeah, same here, way better on real hardware and a nice big screen! Computer sucks for playing, it's just cool it preserved those games, I was amazed to find out all the kick ass games I had I could get again, and try out the ones my parents were too smart to buy me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I received the original Dragon Warrior back in 1989. At the time no one had ever heard of an RPG. Thusly no one was buying a game known as an RPG. At least not in the US.
    That's a pretty sweeping statement and although probably true, I'm sure there are many of us here (including myself) who had already played through Phantasy Star, Y's etc long before DW1 on NES came out

Speaking of which.. THAT'S a game you should try playing really if you're on an old school console RPG binge.. The one and original never to be surpassed PHANTASY STAR. DW1 was such a dissapointment when it came out purely because of how good Phantasy Star was

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Doesn't matter to me how I play something I enjoy. if I play the rom first, then I try to get the actual game. If I like the game, or had it at one point, I play the rom when I don't have said system hooked up.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Tetris Grand Master's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats of beating one of the first RPG's.

I got it for free too with that Nintendo Power promotion. I did beat it as a kid, its a fun game but i think DW was a stepping stone for the next few games. The game made exploring one of the best parts cause the story was kinda bland, but you always wanted to know what was after that next bridge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congratulate me again. I just beat the third RPG of the year. Super Mario RPG. The only other time I ever "beat" it was on an emulator back in 2001. I had the game since it came out but never was able to really beat it on the SNES. Eventually the game went by the wayside and became forgotten when we got our N64. When I beat it on the emulator, I cheated. I used save states throughout the final battle and it made me feel so dirty. I've hated myself ever since. So a few days ago I told myself "Self," I told myself, "It's time to beat Super Mario RPG on the platform it was created for." So I hooked my SNES back up and loaded it up (All the old games are still there.) and started a new game.

My New Years resolution is coming true. I'm so happy. I'm an RPG player now!

So which game should I move onto now? I still have Final Fantasy VI on the PSX saved at the beginning of the Floating Continent. I also have Dragon Quest VIII at Rhapthorne but will require a few more hours of painful leveling up before I can actually go after him... again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser
    Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools. ~Haiku

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did the exact same thing last November and December, Dragon Warrior I using my PSP. I'm working on Final Fantasy I at the moment.

Fun times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Earthbound next?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already finished Earthbound. Man that was an awesome game with an awesome ending.

I do also have Earthbound Zero for NES (Famicom translation) on here though. I'm doing pretty well on it. It's amazing the differences between the two games though. The first one has random battles. And your character moves one tile at a time. I was so used to Earthbound and on-screen enemies and moving wherever you want. Such a difference.

I'm just afraid of that "Copy Protection" thing they built into the older game that would make it randomly choose a spot to stop working if it detected a copy device. I know some ROM's of Zero had this bug so I am afraid I'll play for hours then encounter this dead end and have wasted all my time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read that Dragon Warrior was a rare NES game, but I used to own it... It was the first RPG ever made, but was it rare?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

The first one isn't rare at all but the next 3 get more and more rare.
    Man I wish that I could say that I have beaten it. I started to play a game but then my NES died and now I have to wait until I get the toploader that I bought arrives.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lozza
    I read that Dragon Warrior was a rare NES game, but I used to own it... It was the first RPG ever made, but was it rare?
    Actually it's the Mario/Duck Hunt of NES RPGs.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozza
    Actually it's the Mario/Duck Hunt of NES RPGs.
    I thought so, but I don't know much about NES games, just what I have and haven't played. After seeing the NEX though, I might buy a YOBO and start looking for games soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I already finished Earthbound. Man that was an awesome game with an awesome ending.

I do also have Earthbound Zero for NES (Famicom translation) on here though. I'm doing pretty well on it. It's amazing the differences between the two games though. The first one has random battles. And your character moves one tile at a time. I was so used to Earthbound and on-screen enemies and moving wherever you want. Such a difference.

I'm just afraid of that "Copy Protection" thing they built into the older game that would make it randomly choose a spot to stop working if it detected a copy device. I know some ROM's of Zero had this bug so I am afraid I'll play for hours then encounter this dead end and have wasted all my time.

Secret of mana?

Paladin's quest had really unique music, I enjoyed that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Secret of Mana wouldn't work on my PSP. Anyone have a cheap copy of the SNES game?

Though Secret of Evermore does work. But I'm looking for more traditional turn-based battles.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Does anyone know if the Japanese gamers still get worked up into a lather over those games (Dragon Quest), like all the game magazines used to claim back in the 1980's and 1990's? I'd read how people would camp out all night and others would mug/shake down little kids who might happen to be carrying a copy. Others would pay hundreds of dollars to get a game early. It was a literal stampede. Just sheer pandemonium. Anyone else remember that?

I thought Dragon Warrior was fairly easy given that the Dragonlord battle isn't super tough if you build your character all the way to the top (Level 30). Most of the time, you can reach him between Level 15-20 (maybe a conservative guess).

I noticed over time that the best way to raise your levels is to buy the armor and weapons in order, even if it takes longer. You don't get as many defense points, for instance, if you go straight from the leather armor to half plate as you would if you follow the correct order. Sounds strange, but just something I picked up on having played the game for over 10 years.

This was the first real rpg I ever beat, so it will probably always be listed among my favorites, regardless of what else comes up.