Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How Do You Keep Track Of Your Games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    The list of "top games" on Collectorz.com is hilarious. I buy program so I can remember I has Call of Duty 4 and Forza?

I'll just upgrade to a spreadsheet in OO.
    Methinks a hell of a lot more people added Gears of War to their collection this week than an older classic game. But thanks for trying
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    Methinks a hell of a lot more people added Gears of War to their collection this week than an older classic game. But thanks for trying
    I'm not sure what this post is trying to achieve. Yes, GoW 1 is on the top left of the listed top games, but Call of Duty 4 ("classic?") is on there twice, both formats.

The point is all the games they're showing are new releases. I understand they're just aggregating what's been added the most and latest releases will top that off, but "collecting" brand new stuff seems pretty useless to me. Then again, I guess they're trying to find all the use they can for having lost $20 trade value on the shrinkwrap - or they just have really bad short-term memories.

In any case, I bet half my collection can't be input in the system.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 03-18-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

I use a basic Excel spreadsheet. Nothing special.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

I'm not sure what this post is trying to achieve. Yes, GoW 1 is on the top left of the listed top games, but Call of Duty 4 ("classic?") is on there twice, both formats.

The point is all the games they're showing are new releases.

In any case, I bet half my collection can't be input in the system.
    http://www.collectorz.com/connect/games/toplist.php This is the list you're talking about correct?

The way I'm reading it, the games on the list are the most added games to users collections. Which is understanable, seeing as most of these games are very popular and or new releases.

And I had the same feeling as you about the lack of games in the database, but for the most part it found just about everything. Imports obviously weren't always found, but anything that wasn't was added manually and submitted in about a minute.

I understand they're just aggregating what's been added the most and latest releases will top that off, but "collecting" brand new stuff seems pretty useless to me. Then again, I guess they're trying to find all the use they can for having lost $20 trade value on the shrinkwrap - or they just have really bad short-term memories.
    Who says anyone is just collecting new stuff? It's just what most people are adding to the collection. For example, I added RE5 this week myself, because I just bought it.

I really don't think most people would just piss away $50 on a program if they were adding a few games.
    Last edited by VACRMH; 03-18-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

http://www.collectorz.com/connect/games/toplist.php This is the list you're talking about correct?
    The part of my quote you cut out answers this question, and also any questions you may have had about life, the universe, and everything!

Of course, I wouldn't underestimate the pull of collecting new stuff. Heck, my dad uses the old Win95 machine to record his latest movie purchases, as if it'd going to be really helpful to have everything on a machine that only connects to the outside world via floppy (thankfully, I have a solution for that...but I'm getting off topic.) This certainly doesn't seem to suit my needs, unless they have some kind of "make your own."

I remember getting new games added to GameTZ back in the day...ahh, too much like Wikipedia, trying to convince people that Undeadline was one or two words (I forget what I said it was).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

The part of my quote you cut out answers this question
    Didn't cut it out, you hadn't added it yet

Agree to disagree, but I think you're not understanding simple statistics and assuming the people who buy new games only buy new games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think you're not understanding simple statistics
    You said you knew that extra text was there but you didn't read it like I done tell you to

I guess they're making lists like crazy men and having fun with that fancy software they got but I don't need no help figuring out if I lost the instructions to my brand new DVD game. If I lost the instructions to the DVD game I just bought I got more trouble'n this will help solve.

Insurance Purposes:
    Protect your valuable game collection by having a complete list of your games in a safe place.
    If I thought I could make lots of money on insurance for a fake list of vidya games I got even bigger problems, I can make a list of games and put them in a dry bag somewhere, ain't costing me nothin', it's all the same to the insurance man. I can put Kizuna Encounter on there lots o' times and they ain't gonna give a spit

Funnier yet, I don't see mention of condition or completeness anywhere, which I need.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually in the midst of adding my 360 games to the database right now. Even though it is a current system, I DO need help cataloguing which games I have. I tend to buy any game that I find for a cheap price (including 360 games) so I already have over 100 360 games already. Since I actively play the 360, I oftentimes can't remember if I own a game or if I just rented it.

Funnier yet, I don't see mention of condition or completeness anywhere, which I need.
    I use the "completed" column to denote that the game is complete (as opposed to using it whether or not I've completed playing the game). I have also changed the two optional categories to read Instructions and Box. This way if I have only one or the other, I can just mark completed as "No" and specify which. Alternately, if the instructions are present but worn, I just mark the game completed and put "Worn instructions" next to the instructions box.

There is a condition option too. It runs New, Excellent, Good all the way down to Damaged.

So far I've only entered my PSOne and half of my 360 games. I'm really liking the program right now. I've got several thousand games and I could really see this making it much easier to keep track of the collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the info, chrissylas.

For that system to be helpful to me I need, for instance, to be able to denote things like

Obi / Spinecard / slipcover
    Warranty card / reply card
    Other extras (stickers sheet, product promotional booklet, the special cards that came with many Konami Famicom Disk System games)
    Hardware or bonus CD included? (Super Street Fighter' on X68000 comes with a joystick adapter, Final Fight comes with a CD, etc.)

If I just wan to check some checkboxes I'll just do it for free in Open Office.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Understood. I actually downloaded the trial of the program and waited over 2 weeks before buying it because I wanted to be sure it would work for me

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an Access database, which unfortunately has been corrupting itself every month >_>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know what ? I'm maybe old school but I use a simple text file... (here it is)
    I started this list back in 1996 and I've been updating it since then. So many friends tried various software and websites and most always ended having to redo the whole thing again after 3 or 4 years. I trust my simple ascii file and it's been serving me well for the last 14 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I've recently had an update of mine- Click here to have a look and let me know what you think. Being crap at programming I have to update all the totals manually but it doesn't take too long and it's better than having to deal with what my OCD will throw at me if I don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

I use www.backloggery.com I like it a lot, and it's got a lot of great features (most recently they added a good way to organize compilation games, which I'm currently working on with Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection). To get an idea of how it works just check out mine: www.backloggery.com/solertia

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just starting on a spreadsheet right now. I'm using Open Office instead of Excel simply because it's free. It's really liberating making my own list. I can catagorize it anyway I like. The only problem is I can't just show it to someone.
    This project is going to take a long time. I have about 1200 or more games, and I've only done about 60.

Insert Coin (Level 0) graciano1337's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    J City Mayne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

Not the most exciting method here, but I just use a standard Word document.

Well, actually, two of them. One has the full info (year, developer/publisher, etc.), the other is a "quick-reference" list which is just the game titles. Both have the games broken down alphabetical by system; systems in chronological order.
    Dan B.