Thread: Happy 10th Anniversary to Biohazard/Resident Evil!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Happy 10th Anniversary to Biohazard/Resident Evil!

It's March 22nd over in Japan, that means it's the 10 anniversary of the wonderful Biohazard/Resident Evil series!

I'm a huge fan as I'm sure most of you are as well. Let's share some great times and interesting stories we've had with the series.

First I'd like to list my favorite RE games of all time.

1) Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    2) Resident Evil 4
    3) Resident Evil(REMake)
    4) Resident Evil 2
    5) Resident Evil

I really loved the story and cinematics in RE:CV above all the other RE games. Gameplay wise RE4 was so much fun, but I couldn't tear away from CV. CV is the epitome of classic RE gameplay and captures the original game style to an art form. By far my favorite RE game. I'm looking forward very much to RE5 especially if many things carry over from RE4's gameplay mechanics.

An interesting story I've had with Resident Evil(I'm sure you all have one!) - I was in the 10th grade, Resident Evil 2 release day for the PS1. I didn't go to school that day so I could pick up the game at my local Babbage's(GameStop now). Sportin' my Resident Evil 2 shirt to pick up the game, not a care in the world. I adamantly declined the employee's offer to purchase the strategy guide and tried to make the transaction go by as fast as possible. I hurriedly headed back home to enjoy the game I've been waiting for all year. I got home, and believe it or not, beat the game in one sitting. Disappointed I decided to go outside to play basketball and get some fresh air. As I was playing I ended up telling my friends how easy RE2 was and how frustrated I was in the game's length(I just beat the game with Claire, not the full way with both characters as I wasn't aware of the full replay value at the time)... well on this fateful day it seemed like I had gotten the best of Resident Evil, but little did I know that Resident Evil would have the last laugh. As I was playing basketball I clumsily rolled my ankle off of my neighbor's foot as I landed from a jump shot. I rolled to my side and felt a crack of the sharpest pain I've ever felt in my life. Turns out I severely fractured my ankle and it was so severe I had to stay home for the next 3 weeks to heal. Son of a... Now I'm stuck at home for the next 3 weeks, with nothing to do except watch Robotech(It was premiering on Cartoon Network at the time) and play Resident Evil 2. I was furious at first with my initial disappointment in the game, but as I played more and more, I ended up loving it as I saw truly how well made the game was. Would I have avoided this if I could? Who knows? Maybe if I bought that stupid strategy guide when I picked up the game and read it on the way home... I could have just RE2'd all night.

So in closing, fuck you Resident Evil, thanks for the memories.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Sup Resident Evil

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was playing RE4 in Mercenaries mode. I was playing as Albert Wesker in the Water World level. Within two seconds I was chainsawed by that gargantuan Dr. Salvadore. I threw my controller into my GC and went outside. When outside, I was mauled by a giant German man.

And that's the meaning of life.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't get hooked on the series until RE2 came out with all the hype. I remember the day I picked it up at Best Buy with a co-worker. After getting completely sucked in by 2, I got RE1 and every subsequent game (barring the spin offs like Outbreak and Gun Survivor). Great series. I love the combination of action and puzzle solving. I love the pace of the games. I love the atmosphere. Each new RE game (4 notwithstanding) I start always has a 5-10 minute adjustment period to reacquaint myself with the controls - but they work well for the game, they're responsive, and I've never personally been frustrated by them. Still, RE4 is the pinacle. Now THAT'S how you reinvent a series. Happy 10th anniversary Resident Evil!

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man this takes me back...my next door neighbor just got back from his trip to Anchorage, Alaska during the first week of April 96'. He picked up four games for his PSX. Resident Evil, D, Brain Dead 13, and Street Fighter Alpha.

We played the hell out of D, pretty scary at the time, since it moved eerily slow........but as soon as we popped in Resident Evil made us jump like crazy with everything happening.

I spent that entire summer hanging out at his place, playing Resident Evil or SF Alpha just to see how farther I could get.....then one night in the middle of July 96', we were up until 4am. We made it to the underground lab....man we were sweating bullets. Simply because my friend was too cheap to buy a MEMORY CARD!

Now that's what I call REAL SURVIVAL MODE...when you can't save and the odds are against you.

It was worth it...as for Resident Evil 2, everyone was so damn hyped, scared the shit out of us all lol I think it's just the start with the fires in the background, tons of zombies. You can't ever forget a thing like that

Happy Anniversary Resident Evil!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Ah yes, good ol' RE. I, too, am a big fan of the series, my fav being REmake. I still love the original for all its' cheesy dialogue. Second fav would be RE 2. I remember i somehow managed to get my videogame-knowledge-deficient sister to actually play RE 2 after she somehow played through part 1. I remember it well now.....I had played through the game already and knew what was gonna happen and where, but she didn't. She came up to a part where Mr.X bursts through a wall out of nowhere. She's slowly walking through the hall then.....BAM!....out comes Mr.X. My sister literally screamed out loud and threw the controller straight up in the air and said "That's it. I'm outta here". Ah yes, that's classic to me

*raises a toast* Here's to ya RE. Looking forward to a great number 5.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have once again stepped into the world of survival horror...

Good luck!
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just started a new game of RE4 GC again recently. Totally engrossing, i cant put it down. The control system is so comfortable. All the RE games create such an awesome atmosphere.

Happy 10 years Resident Evil/Biohazard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn ten years already....it's sad when u can tell your getting old via game anniversary. well happy 10 years to a solid series (for the most part).

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first RE I played was RE2. I only had enough money after I bought my PS to rent a game. I rented RE2. I was in complete awe from beginning to end.
    I didn't know what to expect, but what I did know was that I had arrived.
    WIth the arrival of RE4, the only downside I see now is that it's really hard to go back. RE4 spoiled me. Most with the controls.
    Anyway, Viva La Resident Evil!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Happy 10th Anniversary to Biohazard/Resident Evil!

Hooray! My favorites so far:

REmake
    Dino Crisis (series

Good series, here's to many more years of it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe it's been ten years already. Seem like just yesterday I was playing RE1 for the first time. What a great series and one of my favorites.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. I bought Resident Evil new on the Saturn. You're making me feel old.