0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Me & My Katamari

I'd like to hear some impressions from those who picked this game up, or who have actually played it. What are your thoughts on the use of the d-pad and face buttons to control the Katamari?

I personally found it to be a bit difficult at first, especially since I had to 'relearn' the rolling technique. But after giving it a long run through the tutorial, I'm ready to tackle the stages.

As far as the game itself: It looks and sounds like any other Katamari game, so that's good. The only real downer is the fact that it's $40, double the price of the original and 1.5x the sequel. I traded in to get my copy, but Ive got a feeling that a lot of folks are going to take the 'wait and see' approach.

What say you?
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, game came out today and I did purchase it. Mostly for the girlfriend though. A friend had let us borrow both of the ps2 versions about a month ago, and I admit, they are really fun games to play, loved both of them, but my girlfriend, who never plays games, couldn't put them down.

Well, I recently bought into the PSP and she wasn't to happy because there was nothing on it she wanted to play (she loves nintendo). I came home with the Katamari game yesterday and she must of played it for about 3 hours.

As for the game, I havn't played it yet cause shes been hogging the PSP, but she seems to love it. It looks damn impressive, and she said the controls were hard, but after about 15 minutes, she said to me they were actually easier. As for story and plot, I don't recall there ever being much of one in the other games, so this one runs right along it i guess. If you like the Katamari games, I wouldn't think twice about this one, once you get past the control differences, it'll pull you in just like the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine is supposed to be delivered today. I'm hoping it's before work and I can bring that along with Metroid Prime Hunters. Hopefully it's a good game, because I spent too much for it as it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a PSP last week specifically for this game (I have to admit that before the announcement of Me & My Katamari's stateside release, I was borderline vehemently anti-PSP). I agree with what everyone else has said about it being hard to get used to the controls at first, and I'd like to add that it is much more of a problem in this game if you get hit by something alive and bigger than you (i.e. if a person is walking around and bumps into your katamari, a lot of times they'll drag you around for a while before they let you go). Aside from that, this is just more of the same Katamari that we've come to expect (and love), and I'm sure that anyone who likes the series will like this game.

Also, I'd like to add that I heard a lot of rumors from reputable sources as recently as last week that you can't either jump to the other side of the katamari (like how you did in the PS2 games by pushing both analog sticks down at the same time) or do a charged roll, but both of these turn out to be incorrect, as you most certainly can.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really like the way katamari controls on the ps2. I find it really difficult/confusing controlling it with the 2 joysticks and I've wished before you could control it just with one.So I imagine it'd be easier to control with just the one.

But I'm not a hardcore Katamari fan or anything. I imagine if you've played more than me you'll find it a difficult change. Kind of like trying to play Street Fighter II with an analag joystick after playing the SNES verion (I've tried it. I hate it.)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

This was recently pointed out this promo item to me. I wonder if any stores have these things hanging about? I'd enjoy one.

http://tinyurl.com/jxh6q
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could probably make something like that pretty easily. It looks like it would be easy, yet time consuming.

I know for a fact my wife could make it. I wonder if there would be any interest in selling something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I know is that I sold every single copy (at least 5) we got in the store last night within the span of 3 hours, and I had several people tell me that they tried to find it elsewhere, but that it was sold out everywhere else. We never sold that many of the first two, so I don't know.

We also didn't get any of the promo cases either.

Weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over lunch I went to an EB Games and they had one of those katamari purse things.

If I had a PSP I'd have gotten it.

I wouldn't use it though. It's neat but looks too gay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't know if anyone is interested, but you MUST upgrade to firmware 2.6 to play this game, so before anyone pops it into their hacked PSP, be warned. I personally don't mind because the homebrew programs I run on it still work using the GTA workaround.

Mmm...widescreen NES...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle
    Don't know if anyone is interested, but you MUST upgrade to firmware 2.6 to play this game, so before anyone pops it into their hacked PSP, be warned. I personally don't mind because the homebrew programs I run on it still work using the GTA workaround.

Mmm...widescreen NES...
    Exactly why I will never buy another PSP game. Hopefully Sony will do as they did with Liberty City stories and bring this Katamari to the PS2.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

The promo case as far as i've read was a Japanese Pre-order exclusive. I've never heard or seen any stores touting that they'd be getting any for gimmies for the US PSP.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a cell phone strap given out in very limited numbers in the US...

Linky

EDIT: oops... sorry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok. I updated my firmware and played it last night (when I could finally pry myself from Metroid Prime: Hunters)
    It's a very good game, although I think it gets difficult too soon.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm debating buying this game, but I really want to know before i purchase it how the controls are?

Is it really hard to control because I know on PS2 you need both analog sticks. So how are the controls?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't find them to be difficult. If you've played the others, it's setup the same except for turning while moving. You can turn tight by pressing <- and triangle or ^ and O or you can do a wide turn by holding L or R and pressing directions forward or backward.

Has anyone unlocked eternal mode on levels yet? I'm wondering what sizes you need to attain for each level for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Decent game, if overpriced. I just bought it to give in to my fanboy side.

Music's recycled from other Katamari games with a few new tracks. I still haven't gotten used to the controls, however.

They gave me the prince promo case when I bought it, kinda goofy but a neat item nonetheless. Bought at EB Games Mayfair in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I ever get a PSP I'll probably pick this game up. Though I wonder why they didn't do something like Wario Ware Twisted and put a tilt sensor in the cart so you could move the katamari just by moving the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    If I ever get a PSP I'll probably pick this game up. Though I wonder why they didn't do something like Wario Ware Twisted and put a tilt sensor in the cart so you could move the katamari just by moving the PSP.
    That might have been difficult due to the PSP not being cart-based.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it add anything to the series? We <3 Katamari pretty much added nothing in terms of new gameplay elements, and was obviously pretty stale. Anything worth noting about this over the other two, outside of portability?
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.