Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever get your Letter in a Magazine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey, where's Russ Perry, Jr? Hasn't he had his letters published in every prozine by now? I'd be surprised if there were one or two that haven't.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm...

lessee now:

egm (envelope art, game doctor letter art 2x)
    sega visions (art twice)
    game fan (letter, and i won the polterguy panel art contest)
    gamer's republic (bitching about sega and the dreamcast)
    next generation (a comment about frequency, which was answered by avoiding the question- no wonder tha mag ws cancelled, lol)
    a couple of print 'zines, like DP, the gameroom blitz (i think), and control freaks (among others)

i think there's more, but i remember a few form letters from sega, electronic arts, and nintendo directly (i still have most, if not all of that stuff around here somewhere). one of the funniest items i got was a contract to sign and return from sega- i had submitted a page of game-related merchandise ideas, but none of them were acted on (*sigh*) like we DON'T need a coffee-table or paperback sega history book, lol...(japan got at least 5 or 6, lol)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I did once.

I have only ever written to a vid mag once, and they printed my letter. It was about 2 years ago IIRC, and I wrote to Next Gen. I didn't normally read that mag, but a friend gave me a copy, and I found some factual errors in an article about both the NeoGeo home and arcade hardware, and the Strikers 1945 series of games. I gave them the correct info, and they sorta said "Uh, yeah whatever. I guess you are right" in their reply.

-deadtech

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah,but it was only to renew the magazine that i had subscribed to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thomas
    Hey, where's Russ Perry, Jr? Hasn't he had his letters published in every prozine by now? I'd be surprised if there were one or two that haven't.
    Ha ha, somebody remembers!

I never actually kept track, but... I was never in Nintendo Power I think, probably because I never wrote. I was never in EGM but Steve Harris once said "and don't listen to Russ Perry Jr!" in an interview (I think with Nathan Hauke for his zine). I haven't been in most of the newer ones either.

But I was called "ubiquitous" by Chris Bieniek because of how many places my name seemed to pop up. :-)
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash

I never actually kept track, but... I was never in Nintendo Power I think, probably because I never wrote. I was never in EGM but Steve Harris once said "and don't listen to Russ Perry Jr!" in an interview (I think with Nathan Hauke for his zine). I haven't been in most of the newer ones either.
    Are you sure you were never in EGM? I remember reading some letter in which you objected to an article's dismissal of classic gaming (something about how "no one plays the original Pitfall"), and I'd swear that it was Electronic Gaming Monthly. Or possibly EGM2.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    Quote Originally Posted by slapdash

Are you sure you were never in EGM? I remember reading some letter in which you objected to an article's dismissal of classic gaming (something about how "no one plays the original Pitfall"), and I'd swear that it was Electronic Gaming Monthly. Or possibly EGM2.
    Um, wow... Do I know you off the board? I don't recognize your nick if so...

That would be a pretty good memory either way, but I'd almost bet it was in EGM2, not EGM. I'm pretty sure that I've been pretty consistent with my outage there... But maybe I finally broke through and that's one of the issues that is on my "haven't read yet" pile (which is large and spotty right now).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, this was an issue from 1994 or 1995, when Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure was in the news. I was reading a friend's old EGMs not so long ago, and one of them printed a long letter (one of the few seemingly written by an adult) from a "Russ Perry, Jr." I thought that I'd seen the name somewhere before, but it wasn't sure until I saw it in your sig.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've once wrote a letter to Club Nintendo. Well it was not published, but I did receive a letter back, which I still have.

I actually know a NES collector who has been in the Players Profiles section with his picture

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    Actually, this was an issue from 1994 or 1995, when Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure was in the news. I was reading a friend's old EGMs not so long ago, and one of them printed a long letter (one of the few seemingly written by an adult) from a "Russ Perry, Jr." I thought that I'd seen the name somewhere before, but it wasn't sure until I saw it in your sig.
    Ah, well, I'm still impressed, but it makes more sense if you've read it recently. Dang, I should research that to know for sure that it was EGM. I'll have to change my story about them never printing me!

Although, I did connect Dan Hsu to Warren Robinett for some piece they were doing, so the staff there still knew me at various times I guess...