Thread: Simple PAL question..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Simple PAL question..

Do you have to have a PAL system to play PAL games? Or can you use NTSC?
    And is this true for ALL systems? Or do some systems need PAL systems for the games, and some don't? Anyone know?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really depends on the game certain nes games won't work on NTSC because of faster frame refresh rate on PAL tv's.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Generally, the official line is that only PAL systems can play PAL games. However there are ways of bypassing this. The Gamecube for isntance has the freeloader, which allows you to play PAL games on an NTSC machine, or vice-versa. You can also use mod-chips to play PAL games on consoles.
    There is also an issue with the age of your television which may mean that even stuff like that doesn't work. Maybe someone less techonlogically challeneged can explain it.
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have an older monitor that allows both PAL or NTSC usage, so I hope that isn't the problem you were referring to?
    But, does anyone know specific NTSC systems that DON'T let you play PAL games on them?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

most systems won't play them unless they are modified. or do you want to know what systems can't even be modified to play them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it would seem to me that it wouldnt matter, as long as there isnt a region lockout on the player...
    so if you have a tv that will 'decode' PAL signals, an ntsc machine (one that isnt coded regionally, like dvd players can be), and a pal game - are you good to go?
    does it totally depend on the console 'lock out', or will ntsc machines not pass a pal signal to the monitor without fucking it up?

willie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, if it's easier, I'd like to know which NTSC systems can play PAL games as-is, without any modifications.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can tell you for sure that my PSX model 1001 (the original) absolutely will not run PAL software. I even screwed up an Action Replay clone trying to get it working. I'm not sure about newer hardware revisions, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can play PAL games on my Genesis with a convertor cart. A FEW PAL Genesis games work with NTSC system as well I think. Same goes for SMS. I also have a PAL Neo Geo CD frontloader that has an NTSC adaptor and works fine on my NTSC TV...but I think it's an NTSC system....

The only other PAL games I know of that are compatible with NTSC systems with no mod are the handhelds...since none have region lockouts.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default a more complete answer...

lessee now... some more modern (post crash) systems released in the u.s. of a. that are PAL compatible:

out of the box (no modification- hooray!):
    3DO (plays almost any japanese game, and most, if not all games released in the u.k./europe)
    Sega Master System (loads of great euro titles for it!)
    Atari Jaguar (at least i think so, as i sold a jag to a guy in australia, and another to someone in france 2 years ago, and i haven't had any complaints yet)

out of the box (with a little help from our friends):
    Sega Saturn (with a cart converter like a 4-in-1 action replay will play some PAL titles)
    Dreamcast (with a boot disc, you can load PAL games that have the 60hz NTSC mode already in the game)
    Game Cube (with freeloader)
    Nintendo 64 (there are a few cart converters for PAL/Japanese games)

most handhelds are universal, except for the turbo express, which won't play japanese games. i'm not sure which unit was released in europe, so i also can't tell you what will or won't play on it.

if you have an older model ps system, there are a few of those gold finger doohickeys that run PAL games, but in glorious black and white, and not at all stable, so it's not worth it, really...

feel free to add to this, folks...

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

2600 - NTSC games will usually play fine on a PAL machine, but nearly always screw up the other way around. Hooray for us! Well we need something to brag about here in PAL land from time to time

7800 - some of my NTSC games play fine on my PAL machine. Some have small or large graphics glitches and some don't work at all. Really depends on the game here. I have no idea the other way around but I'm guessing it's a similar situation.

C64 - practically total compatibility either way. No cart I've gotten has failed to play okay my end... but I have heard a couple of PAL ones don't work properly on a NTSC C64.

SNES/N64 - security chip is different in PAL carts to NTSC ones. You'll need a conversion adapter to plug the game you want to play in, plus a local cart to act as the security check. Usually no problems playing games at all, but if the PAL game has been "optimised" (had the extra 100 screen lines used and sped up to account for the 17% drop in speed) then it will run hyper on a NTSC machine.

Gamecube - with Freeloader, it's pretty much open and shut case. Only a couple of PAL games still come out in b&w when played on a NTSC Cube (due to not having proper NTSC 50Hz mode). Most of the time, no probs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if anyone needs them, i've got 5 or 6 complete little used pal-snes for sale pm me