Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever regretted not buying a game when you had the chance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ever regretted not buying a game when you had the chance?

I have one regret when it comes to deciding to not purchase a game. I was in a Value Village in my area and naturally I headed straight to the games. Usually there is a Genesis with not connectors or controllers or a couple of NES zappers. This one particular time there were about 15 Sega Master System games sitting there. They were complete for $4 each. I wasn't a fan of the SMS so I passed on them. Stupid. The games themselves were not rares (if I remember correctly) but I very rarely see any SMS games in the wild. Period. Lesson learned I guess.

Can we get an emoticon with the smiley face guy smacking himself in the forehead. That would be appropriate.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm....well, I regret trading in a game. There was this one PSX puzzle game that I bought shortly after it came out for $30 or so. Played it a lot and really enjoyed it. Anyway, a month or so later, some other PSX title caught my eye and I raced home to see what I had in trade-in. Well, I hadn't played the puzzle game in a while, so I traded it in. After about a week of the new game, I was bored with it (I don't even remember what it was) and went back to pick up my puzzle game. It was gone.

Anyway, to this day, I've been trying to get that puzzle game back. I really like it, it's fun, andI miss it. What is it? "Intelligent Qube." And I'll never get it bak for less than $60 - if I'm lucky. *Sigh.* live and learn.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ouch, Sniderman. I picked up my IQ for $15, and I'd NEVER part with it. I've found 2 other copies under $20 in the last 3 years and both went for over $50 on eBay. That game is awesome, but getting scarcer and scarcer.

As for myself....honestly, I don't get rid of many games. It's a policy of mine to keep a game once I buy it unless I TOTALLY hate it. This started BECAUSE I sold a game I loved way back in 1995, when I only had a couple of games and a Genesis and SNES. The game was a little game called Final Fantasy III. I beat it twice, then I figured I'd sell it and get another game with the money! What a great idea! So I sell my copy of FFIII, and go out and purchase a spanking new copy of TMNT IV: Turtles in Time. I get this exciting new game home and pop it in, and I whipped through the entire game on easy and normal in a matter of hours. Done. Then I find out that since I opened it, I can't take it back! Doh! So I want my copy of FFIII back, and I take TMNT IV to the store where I sold it, but the FFIII is long gone I sold TMNT IV anyway cause I hated it for being too easy, but I vowed to myself NEVER to part with games from my collection again unless they were total crap. Now I have a 500+ game collection and I've only ever gotten rid of games I don't like or have spares of with only 1 exception since 1995 So you could very easily say that selling a game I liked and then regretted selling got me into collecting in the first place
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about six copies of NES Tengen Tetris shrinkwrapped? I was working at a retail store when we got a small case of six games. They were put on the shelf, then yanked the next day. The store manager said there were copyright issues, so the games had to be returned. At the time, we thought it had something to do with the game being Russian. Imagine... six shrinkwrapped copies at the normal retail price. If I had known then what I know now.... sheesh.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Regretted not getting Xenogears when I first got into it- took 6 months to find that again. Also regretted not getting Spider-Man for the N64 when I had the chance, but that kinda worked out since a friend got me the PSX version for my b-day last year.

kinda regretting trading off Suikoden 1 now (had no idea at the time it was a hot item).
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Not really, I'm usually the kind of guy who grabs things "just in case". The only stuff I ever passed up were some mildy rare (5's or so) Colecovision games once. I'm also pretty sure I passed up Harvest Moon for the SNES once.

Tempest

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ouch!

Yup. I noticed a local video chain always carried some import N64 stuff, I remember once looking the games over and seeing a baseball, and a wrestling title (brave spirirts) among others. Well, when I finally come around to collecting for N64 I go back and sure enough the Brave Spirits is long gone! (did score PowerPro Baseball and ST.Andrews Golf though)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I wouldn't use the word regret, but I've been disappointed when I go back to get something and it's gone. Half the fun of collecting is the hunt anyway I figure
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Though I don't pass up many bargains I regret not picking up 2 new copies of Color a Dinosaur that a local walmart was getting rid of for $4 each.... Ah well, the little lessons in a collectors life. Won't let that happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a chance to pick up a boxed Harvest Moon 64 last year for $20 and I left it because I was sure I would find it for $10 within the year.. still haven't seen it for cheaper.. though I have seen it for $15 more.

I also regret not buying some common boxed SMS games at goodwill for $3.. They were sports titles and the like but I couldnt have got them cheaper elsewhere.

I regret selling my Megaman V..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never really passed up the chance to buy something I really wanted cause when I DO see something I want, I make sure to get it.

However I've learned my Lesson as dikd Maxlords. NEVER trade your games.
    I made possibly one of the worst trades ever.

I traded:
    DecapAttack
    Krusty's Super Funhouse
    TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
    Chakan
    Super Hydlide
    Batman Returns
    Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

FOR:
    Robocop Vs The Terminator
    Skitchin'

Before you stone me to do death, let me at least say in my defense that at the time these were NEW games so they were still expensive
    AND I NEVER played those games anymore at the time cause they were all too easy with the exception of 2
    I didn't want Chakan anymore cause it sucked
    I didn't want Super Hydlide anymore cause I got spoiled on Shining Force games.

Luckily I've been able to get Batman Returns back, but I live in a small place next to a small city, so finding second hand games ISN'T very easy...
    If I could just get Krusty's Funhouse and SUper Hydlide back I'd be happy, for now.

Alex Kidd

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I regret selling Castlevania:Bloodlines to funcoland and buying Toy Story. ouch.

I sold Bee 52(NES , just opened)to my friend for 2 bucks. sigh.

I passed up buying a heavy sixer with a good set of games for fifty bucks.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Samba Maracas at Fry's for 79 bucks a set. I thought to my self "there is a giant pallet, they will come down in price". The next time I went there (about a week later) they where all gone.

Damn!!!!!
    GET OUT OF THE WALLS CHEATER!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I passed up Intellivision Tutankham & Super Cobra sealed for $75-$80 each at World Of Atari '98 and have been kicking myself ever since. I just paid $140+ for an opened Super Cobra on ebay. Also this summer I saw Panzer Dragoon Saga Saturn game at a garage sale for $5 and didn't buy it.

y-bot

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I still regret trading in 4 mint complete Koei games for the Nes back in 92. I was low on cash and I wanted to go drinking with the guys on the weekend. I still haven't been able to find a mint box and map for Bandit kings of ancient china :/ I also regret not picking up all the sealed copies of Suikoden 1 for $14.99 Canadian at Wal-mart last summer. I could have sold those for alot. I should have bought the boxed Steel battalion for $170 Canadian that I saw as well. Another local trader I know scooped it up and sold it for alot of cash and games >

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    I regret selling my Megaman V..
    You too? I sold Mega Man 4, 5, and 6 to a friend a few years ago, and I wish I still had 5. Maybe I'll try to buy it back from him. He can have 4 and 6, though.

I've traded in a lot of games over the years, but there are only a few that I wish I hadn't parted with. Pocket Fighter is one of them. It was simple, but it was flat-out enjoyable and really funny. I got rid of it under the impression that I could always borrow my sister's copy, but she's off at college now and I want a Pocket Fighter of my very own, dammit.

I regret passing up Legend of Oasis for the Saturn when I saw it for ten bucks at Meijer. I also saw the decidedly rare import Saturn fighter Sonic Council for $25 at an EB once, and let it go. It wasn't until last year that I found a copy for forty bucks, only to discover that the game isn't worth more than twenty-five.

And I wish I'd bought Panorama Cotton for the Mega Drive when I was in Akihabara a few years ago. It was the yen equivalent of $40, but I thought "Bah, that's too much. I'll just get these loose copies of Phantasy Star III and IV for less than a buck apiece." Stupid, stupid me.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I regret not buying Klonoa back in 98, and I regret not buying Dragon Ball Z for the PS. I thought the game was lame, but I didnt know the game would be worth so much to DBZ collectors...u live and learn. > :P

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My regrets . .

Hmm, let me see, my main regret would be - last week! Not buying Panzer Dragoon Saga on a BIN of £70 ($110). It was complete but the outer cardboard box (PAL version!) was a bit tatty. I saw the auction, and saw that it had been up for two days. That and the fact that it was about 1am, I thought it would be ok to mull it over before going for it . . . because, of course, I would have preferred a nice condition copy. I mean, if it's sat there for two days, then it's not likely to disappear in the next 15 mins, especially at 1am, is it? WRONG!!!!! Decided to go for it, refreshed page . . . sold, dammit!

Then there was the time I bought Bomberman for £10 ($16) on a BIN, and the seller offered me a load of other games cheap as well including: Twinke Star Sprites, Metal Slug and some other stuff (I've blanked it out, I don't want to remember it!). I didn't have an import adapter at the time, and was a bit broke . . so I said no. Been cursing myself ever since! I should have borrowed the money and bought it all!! I'm not likely to ever get an opportunity like that again.

But if I do, I know what I'll do THIS time!!!!

Vroomfunkel

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As the Saturn was dying and I was scooping up new games for $10 a pop at Best Buy, I saw a used import for $39.00 at EB. $40 bucks for a used Saturn game, I thought?....even if it is an import, no way! That game of course was Radiant Silvergun. One of the very few times my cheapskate instincts completely betrayed me. Finally got one in a trade last year. Live and learn.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I first started out seriously collecting a couple of years ago, I passed on a Caltron 6 in 1 for $5 because the game looked to be a "bit scratched." As in minor, no big deal, should-have-bought-the-damn-thing-on-the-spot, kind of scratch. By the time I came to my senses, it was gone. I've never seen one since at any price in the "wild."
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector