Thread: Dragon's lair.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragon's lair.

OK I have a question about this game.

I own it for the original GB. Now I want to know what the main objective of the game is, I never understood where to go considering the fact that every time I go anywhere and try and do anything such as follow a path or walk, you end up dying for stupidity... No point, while I say yo die easily the OST to this game is great. Is there a way to get the music since its probably the only thing that'll like if I can't go anywhere in the game?

The music to be honest is probably the only thing that has kept me from throwing the game away all these years.

Also there is another game that a friend of mine wanted to know about so he asked me since we were on the sunject of Don Bluth, creator of the Dragon's Lair game, what game is like it called Disc World or something to that nature?

Whats it about and is it a movie or not?
    Audio/Digital junky!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Don bluth started the era for what I call picture disk choose your own adventure games.

Dragon's Lair
    Dragon's Lair II Time Warp
    Space Ace
    Shadoan
    Time Frontier
    Mad Dog Mcree (Remember that in tha arcade?)
    Who shot Johnny rock?
    Drug wars
    Bounty hunter
    Crime Patrol
    Mad Dog II
    Space Pirates
    Shootout at old Tuscon
    Fast Draw showdown

I think the one Your talking about is Space Ace, maybe
    As for your gameboy question I can't help you.
    I own dragon's lair for the NES, Sega CD, and X-box.
    Try playing the x-box version it was a fun game
    The Shawn

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn
    Don bluth started the era for what I call picture disk choose your own adventure games.

Dragon's Lair
    Dragon's Lair II Time Warp
    Space Ace
    Shadoan
    Time Frontier
    Mad Dog Mcree (Remember that in tha arcade?)
    Who shot Johnny rock?
    Drug wars
    Bounty hunter
    Crime Patrol
    Mad Dog II
    Space Pirates
    Shootout at old Tuscon
    Fast Draw showdown

I think the one Your talking about is Space Ace, maybe
    As for your gameboy question I can't help you.
    I own dragon's lair for the NES, Sega CD, and X-box.
    Try playing the x-box version it was a fun game
    The Shawn
    There's a who shot Who shot Johnny rock? I'd pay good money for this just for the irony. If anyone has it for the 3DO let me know.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the NES version yesterday actually. It has to be one of the hardest NES games ever. I can get into the castle, but not further hehe.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Dragon's lair.

Quote Originally Posted by DanicusPrime
    OK I have a question about this game.

I own it for the original GB. Now I want to know what the main objective of the game is, I never understood where to go considering the fact that every time I go anywhere and try and do anything such as follow a path or walk, you end up dying for stupidity... No point, while I say yo die easily the OST to this game is great. Is there a way to get the music since its probably the only thing that'll like if I can't go anywhere in the game?
    The Gameboy version is nothing like the arcade game, so I'm not sure what the objective is. In the arcade game, the object is to slay the dragon and rescue Daphne, so I'd imagine that, while the GB version doesn't look or play like the original, the object is similar.

Also there is another game that a friend of mine wanted to know about so he asked me since we were on the sunject of Don Bluth, creator of the Dragon's Lair game, what game is like it called Disc World or something to that nature?
    Nothing called Disc World. The three Bluth laser disc games are Dragon's Lair, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair II.

Which one? Dragon's Lair? In any case, none of them are movies, but there was lots of talk about a DL movie a few years ago when the DL3D game was released for the Xbox and PC.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Which one? Dragon's Lair? In any case, none of them are movies, but there was lots of talk about a DL movie a few years ago when the DL3D game was released for the Xbox and PC.
    There was a DL tv show for a brief period of time, a DL movie certainly shouldn't be out of the question if the series were ever to make a come back. *fingers crossed*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would assume that the GB version would have the same objective as the NES version or the original laser disk version that the game was made for before NES way back when in the year of 83.

anyway, I only wanted to know which direction to take and how to prevent my arse from getting nuked on a constant basis.

I know of a Disc world made my Terry Pratchet.

But I hear there was a game about the Disc World where it involved a dragon, not like singe in my opinion but my friend thinks other wise.

In his case the dragon goes on a quest and humans are the bad ones. I still think he is refering to the Terry Pratchet book. But he claims it was a video game.

How can I go about getting the OST for the Dragon's lair GB game? Or how would I convert the music from the sound card on the game itself on a mp3 format if there is such away. Thats all I really desire from the game itself, the music...
    Audio/Digital junky!

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    There was a DL tv show for a brief period of time, a DL movie certainly shouldn't be out of the question if the series were ever to make a come back. *fingers crossed*
    But the DL3D game is over and done with, and that's when all the big talk of a theatrical movie was going around. It never happened then, so it's much less likely that it will happen now, if ever.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the complete GB version and I played it for a few hours before giving up due to the horrible frustration level. Its nothing like the arcade version. You must get 194 pieces of the life stone to win and you get 9 lives and no continues. I only ever got about 20.

Heres the story from the instructions:
    Dirk the Daring held the maid's limp and lifeless body gently in his arms, as he surveyed the carnage of the bloody ballte scene. With the last gasps of her dying breath, Princess Daphne's loyal servant had told Dirk of the horrible tale of their undoing. It seemed a traitor in their ranks had informed the evil Mordroc that the princess' caravan was carrying the mythical Life Stone, an ancient artifact rumored to give its owner limitless power and eternal life. His barbaric army had amushed the princess' helpless band, mercilessly slaying all but the beautiful Princess whom they had taken into captivity. Fourunately, before the attack, the maid has used her limited powersof sorcery to shatter the Life Stone into hundreds of pieces and scatter them throughout the land. Dirk knew what he must now do, though he did not relish the task. The Life Stone must be reassembled before Princess Daphne could be rescued from Mordroc's evil clutches!

There are no "special moves" or anything, just run and jump to collect all the stones.

The instructions also say that once you have all 194 stones, you have to "travel over the mountains tothe final screen where the Good Knight lies in a death-like trance." Touch him when you have all 194 pieces to win. No idea where the Good Knight fits into the story. Hope this helps.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey slimedog thanks for the info.

It gives me some sort of idea as what needs to be done, but it still doesn't help in the aspect of how the hell does one collect all of them, if its nearly impossible to go much far into the game if you constantly die for the most idiotic reasons. I mean come on, I know that if I jump at least 5 feet off the ground, and when I land I'm not going to die...

Appreantly this cat does, he dies for any little reason. If you ask me, he needs those damn life stones not the princess. Since now I know that this is a helpless game, how can I obtain the cool music from it? If at all.
    Audio/Digital junky!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

But the DL3D game is over and done with, and that's when all the big talk of a theatrical movie was going around. It never happened then, so it's much less likely that it will happen now, if ever.
    It would have probably been made if the DL3D game selled well. It took me almost a year to even find the game, so I'm guessing not that many copies were made to begin with.

The game was fun for the most part, but there were a lot of problems with the controls, game mechanics and small glitches that just made the game overly frustrating. In the making-of video they make it look like they were creating a revolutionary game, but it was really the exact opposite.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragons Lair

For the arcade experience on the Gameboy, you should check out the Gameboy Color version. This is a well done attempt at putting the arcade experience on the gameboy. The game plays like the laserdisc counterpart and has sample sounds (i.e. the skeleton death of Dirk).

Here are some screenshots:
    http://www.gamespot.com/gbc/action/d...reenindex.html

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll jump in here to say that the Amiga version of DL is by far my favorite over any other system. The DL DVD is great too, anyone else have it? You move with the DVD remote. There is a Space Ace DVD version also, but I don't have that one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad I brought people back to the game of DL.

So I take it that no one knows how I can obtain the music?
    Audio/Digital junky!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I understand, a lot of people capture GB music using an audio cable out of the headphone jack and into the mic jack of their PC sound card. I would imagine that any sound recording softward for the PC would be able to record from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by DanicusPrime
    I'm glad I brought people back to the game of DL.

So I take it that no one knows how I can obtain the music?
    Your best bet is to download a GameBoy emulator and take a sample of the music you want to capture. Alternatively you can use the method Slimedog recommendation via any number of recording programs (I think even Windows Sound Recorder would work ok).

Discworld was indeed released on the PC. There was a sequel called Mortality Bytes! in the US that was released on PC and Playstation. It was also released in Europe titled Missing Presumed?.

There's also a text adventure on the PC that's floating out there somewhere.

And most of us would argue that we never really left Dragon's Lair, we just think Kimberly is much hotter!
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Historian Live

Quote Originally Posted by "njiska
    There's a who shot Who shot Johnny rock? I'd pay good money for this just for the irony. If anyone has it for the 3DO let me know.
    I'm pretty sure I have a loose PC version...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yup, I remember reading about the Game Boy version of Dragon's Lair, whose precise name is actually Dragon's Lair: The Legend. There was an extensive guide in one of the books back in the day. Looking back, I'd be willing to bet that it's just another cheezy sprite swap of an entirely different Japanese game. It might have been in one of the books ZMWeasel did, and if not, it was at least from the same publisher.

(By the way, the ADAM version of Dragon's Lair is apparently pretty nifty.)

There is a way to extract the music from a Game Boy ROM into the so-called GBS format, but it is not a trivial matter. See http://www.zophar.net/gbs/ .

There were three Discworld games released for the PC; each was also released for the PSX (but the third, Discworld Noir, might have been a Europe-only release). There are whispers afoot at ScummVM that the first two games will soon be released as freeware and their engine (known as "Tinsel") incorporated into ScummVM; last I heard, the negotiations are finished and they're just waiting for someone to sign some papers.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody happen to catch the DL music video on Cinematech last night? It was pretty cool. Had scenes from Dragon's Lair in it while some girl named Julie Eisenhower (I believe that was her name. They keep info like that on the screen so briefly.) sang this pop tune called "He's My Guy". The scenes were interspersed with clips of her singing in a studio and such. Kind of a coincidence.. I hadn't thought about DL in years. This led me to a Google search for anything about that video.. I could find nothing. Next stop was eBay where I found MANY ports of DL available (including several copies of DL3D).

Don Bluth only did the first 3 games mentioned by the OP; he was the cartoonist for all the American Tail and Fievel big-screen full length animated features as well (some Dinosaur cartoon as well.. Land That Time Forgot?).

DL was animated.. all those other games mentioned were American Laser Game FMV games and most required a light-gun.

I've got all three of the Discworld PC games. Discworld Noir is the best IMO and Pratchett is a genius.. right up there with Douglas Adams; but then again.. I'm a big Dr.Who and Hitchiker's fan.. so I love English humor. (I don't think Adams is English though.. is he?)

I have a copy of DL II for my CD-I.. but I've never even loaded it up as I heard it was terrible compared to DL. I just got a Jaguar CD that's coming with DL and Space Ace and I can't wait to play DL again (On the Atari Jaguar no less.. that shows you how obscure and prevalent ports of DL have been over the years).

Anybody know if Ralph Bakshi worked on any video games (Fritz The Cat, Wizards, etc.)? Probably not.. since most of his stuff was for adults.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"